NFL influencing outcomes? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL influencing outcomes?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NFL influencing outcomes?

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:02 am

OK thats a ridiculous accusation. Somehow I doubt the NFL could sabotage instant reply against the Chargers at their home stadium. As for the blown call on the fumble, that happens a few times every season. Deal with it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 am

davidmarver wrote:But Jesus Christ, the Chargers/Broncos today was, without question, the most suspicious game that I have ever seen in any sport.

Never seen Oklahoma vs. Oregon? This doesn't even compare to that. Not even close.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Noah_B » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:14 am

Free Bagel wrote:
davidmarver wrote:But Jesus Christ, the Chargers/Broncos today was, without question, the most suspicious game that I have ever seen in any sport.

Never seen Oklahoma vs. Oregon? This doesn't even compare to that. Not even close.

Agreed. Pac-10 officials are the worst, bar none. Most recent example: Last week, BYU @ Washington - Jake Locker called for excessive celebration. Redunk call.

Being a Seattle native I always place my more recent NFL officiating woes on Super Bowl XL.
Noah_B Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:09 am

dgan wrote:There was a lot of bad officiating today IMO - inconsistent Roughing the QB was top of the list.

Yeah, I noticed that. In some games a defender giving the QB a slight tap a second and a half after the ball was released is called for roughing... but in other games, a defender clearly and blatantly roughing isn't called. One play in the Cleveland/Pittsburgh game comes to mind - Shaun Rogers delivered a helmet-first blow to Ben Roethlisberger's (injured) shoulder several seconds after the ball was thrown, and no roughing was called.

I know each officiating crew is different, but it would be nice if they were calling from the same rulebook.

Definitely agreed on the play stoppage in questionable situations. If a reasonable observer could believe a fumble occured, the refs should allow the play to continue, even if they believe it to be an incomplete pass or down by contact. I believe the officials can indicate the call on the field by hand signal without while allowing the play to continue by not whistling it dead if there is doubt about what exactly happened, correct?

It all comes down to the core principle of officiating - the players need to determine the outcome of the game, not the officials. If the officials want to play, they can go work out for a team (I know I've seen a few officials keep pace with wide receivers; some of those older guys are surprisingly athletic).
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dream_017 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:54 am

portisfan24 wrote:OK thats a ridiculous accusation. Somehow I doubt the NFL could sabotage instant reply against the Chargers at their home stadium. As for the blown call on the fumble, that happens a few times every season. Deal with it.

The game was in Denver ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:01 am

The real issue here is with the replay malfunction. The fumble/incomplete pass happens several times per season, and on the replay it was clear that the referee ruled an incomplete pass, which makes it non-reviewable. In real time, from his backside angle, it's a lot tougher a call than when we get 5 new angles in slow motion (at which point it was blatantly obvious that it should've been a fumble, but I digress). The replay malfunction is inexcusable, but I think the notion that the NFL is influencing outcomes is sour grapes, and not realistic in the slightest.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 am

steelerfan513 wrote:It isn't a conspiracy, just that the NFL still has a ton of sh*tty rules that they need to fix.

One of which should be an independant review of plays. The play in question should be viewed by an impartial judge who isn't on site and is responsible for nothing else. Or just do away with replay and stop your belly-aching (Not a measure I would support)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 am

The NFL's instant replay process is unnecessarily cumbersome. I have never seen the system malfunction like it did in the Denver/SD game, but it's kind of ridiculous that they don't have a backup plan in place for such an occurrence.

There was no conspiracy in the Chargers game. Unless you want to accuse the Bolts' defense of throwing the game. That I could listen to. I have never seen such an (allegedly) good defense get shredded like that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 am

The real conspiracy was letting Marty Schottenheimer go!

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:24 am

So, if Denver missed the 2pt conversion or didn't score the TD, would this have been brought up :-? There have always been plays that should or shouldn't be overturned that the refs still get wrong. It is never going to be perfect.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk