Dealing with losing when.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Dealing with losing when....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dealing with losing when....

Postby AsianChexMix » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:26 pm

If you started the right people, you would be winning? I am going to be 0-2 where I could have been 2-0...I mean how do you deal with it? Do you chalk it up to "I got close so I have the potential to beat anyone" mentality or what? I still got DeSean Jackson left but I highly doubt he can make up for the difference. How do you deal with it?
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dealing with losing when....

Postby joejlitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Eat more Chex Mix
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby biju » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Honestly, I spend a lot of time trying to figure out the best possible matchups for each player. As long as I can justify starting one player over another when setting the lineup I can't feel bad about it. Sometimes I'll try to figure out why my logic was bad, but normally I can't complain if I thought I had the right lineup.

Now if you put someone in there under bad advice or were trying to ride a hot hand (I'm guessing there were a ton of Fasano/Rosario owners very upset this weekend) you should re-think why you would play someone like that.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:18 am

All you can do is look at the matchups and start the players you feel have the best chance. Other than that its just luck and hunches. If you sit there and you have Sproles on the bench and you started LT, well you cant say WTF if i just would have started Sproles instead i would have won!! It doesnt work like that. There is luck involved in fantasy football, and that, my friend is why we all love it so much. Sometimes it goes in favor of us, sometimes against.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby m16a » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:38 pm

During a draft I recently was in that was overseen by moderator kilroy(it was in a cafe league) he mentioned to me his thoughts on the last few rounds of a draft as being "the throw crap at a wall and hope it sticks rounds" although he never meant it, I think thats a pretty good analogy for fantasy football as a whole. Its fun, you can do tons of research, you can watch games and trends, but when it comes down to it, its a LOT of luck. So when you start a good team and you lose because of flukes, hey thats life. Sometimes you get the tilt into the rim and sometimes it rolls off and is just another missed shot.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby GoodStash » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:20 pm

I found that over thinking my team is where I run into problems. This week I sat Holt because of his performance in week 1and a tough match-up and started Bowe because of what I thought would be a easy match-up. Did the same to my defenses. (Started AZ because of what they did to San Fran and the Miami match-up.) My "great" decisions ended losing me a total of 17 points in a game where I only lost by 13 :,-(
Oh well, from now on, no more over thinking...

The way you have to deal with it is chalk it up to a lesson learned. It sounds like you have the weapons to put up points. Just go with your gut feelings...
GoodStash
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Graphics Expert

Postby AsianChexMix » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 pm

I guess it's a lot like poker...there has to be a winner and you can play the hand you're dealt and be ahead but in the end, you gotta get lucky and keep your hand. Gotta take the beats in order to get the wins as well. I guess I should be somewhat happy that I do have some tools to get the job done....but I'd be so much happier with a win. Heh. Let's look at week 3!
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Johnny U » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Here is my simple solution: Play your best players always, regardless of the match-up. It isn't foolproof but it works for me most of the time.
Johnny U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting