Seattle defensive touchdown? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seattle defensive touchdown?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:45 pm

Didn't find another thread about it, but if there is on mods can move this post.

Yesterday Seattle D was credited for a defensive TD, I believe the play was SF fumbling, a SEA guy recovers, the SEA guy fumbles, another SEA guy recovers for the TD. This morning it appears Yahoo has taken away the TD. Some sort of error, or something else happen?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby Doctor P » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:51 pm

I noticed the same thing. In fact, yesterday it was credited as a defensive TD on the Yahoo scoring yesterday and then it was taken away this morning. The owner of Seattle's defense had text messaged me this morning expressing his concern.

It was certainly a defensive TD. What throws it off, I think, is that Seattle recovered a fumble, and then they fumbled, and some other guy for Seattle picked up for the TD. That obviously shouldn't matter, but I think it messed something up on Yahoo's scoring.

I've advised the owner in my league to wait until tomorrow when all stats are finalized to see if it is corrected. If it's not corrected, does anyone know how to do so???
QB: Romo, Freeman
RB: Foster, Peterson,LeShoure, Wilson, Mathews
WR: Bryant, Moore, Fitz
TE: Hernandez
D/ST: Pittsburgh, NYJ
K: Janikowski
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:06 pm

They'll let their stats service sort it out. I would imagine that they'll just go along with the NFL ruling and it'll get fixed in the next day or two.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Robert775 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm glad to see others have noted this too and that you all think that Seattle will be credited with the TD.

Presently, I'm down by 4 points with only Tony Romo left to go for either me or my opponent. That gives me a very good chance of victory, but I'd already be up by 2 if Seattle had that TD!

I sent a message to Yahoo about the scoring; hopefully they move promptly, before scores are finalized Tuesday morning. A TD will change the outcome of many games, it'd suck to think you won on Tuesday only to have your W turn to an L later in the week (or season!) due to a scoring error.
Robert775
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Welcome to the Cafe, Robert. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby indyindian » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:39 pm

I'm hoping that it's also a Seahawks TD. I'm down by .16 if they don't rule it a TD. Horrible...
indyindian
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RenT » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Down by 1 myself after tonight's game... don't see why it's not a defensive TD since a defensive player scored it...
RenT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Robert775 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:02 pm

This is total B.S. Yahoo is not going to credit the Seahawks defense with the TD. I e-mailed them about the matter and here is their reply, in relevant part:

I appreciate your inquiry with regards to the fumble recovery return TD by Seattle.

This play is recorded as an offensive fumble return TD as Seattle had possession of the football, fumbled, recovered the football and scored a TD. Therefore, the Seattle DEF is not credited with a TD on the play.

Here is the play-by-play description:

Frank Gore rushed up the middle for 5 yard loss. Frank Gore fumbled. Marcus Trufant recovered fumble and returned for 4 yards. Marcus Trufant fumbled. Craig Terrill recovered fumble and returned for 10 yards (Olindo Mare made PAT)

Therefore, Craig Terrill is credited with an offensive fumble return TD in leagues that use the stat category. Seattle DEF is not credited with a TD.

That doesn't make any sense. San Francisco had the ball. Seattle's defense recovered a fumble. Then they temporarily lost it, but got it back and took it in for the score. It makes no sense to consider that an offensive TD. Seattle was playing defense on that play, Craig Terrill is a defensive tackle, meaning that he plays on defense. Besides, if it wasn't a defensive TD, it must have been an offensive one, but Terrill is not credited with 10 rushing yards and a rushing TD!

This really makes no sense to me. Fortunately, Antonio Romo lit it up last night so I got way more than the 4 points I needed to win. But still, this is B.S.!
Robert775
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

We've actually been discussing this a lot today. Here is what I can tell you at this point:

* Based on the data from our provider, the touchdown does not count.
* This is a funny case, because the idea of a defensive touchdown isn't an official stat. It is nothing the NFL cares about. Only fantasy players.
* Discussion is ongoing, but the prevailing opinion at the moment is that this should probably be credited as a defensive touchdown.
* The way football works, if we do end up going this way, then we'll have no difficulty updating leages/matchups/scores.
* This is different than a typical stat correction. Everyone agrees what happened, they just don't agree what to call it, and there is no official definition to fall back on.
* I have the Seattle defense on my main team :-)

So hang tight. It is a weird case, but we're not ignoring it, and if we decide there is an error, we can totally fix it and have it reflected in last week's matchups.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RenT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Interesting... looks like CBSsportsline recorded the play as a defensive TD...
RenT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk