Seattle defensive touchdown? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Seattle defensive touchdown?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby The_Dude » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:We've actually been discussing this a lot today. Here is what I can tell you at this point:

* Based on the data from our provider, the touchdown does not count.
* This is a funny case, because the idea of a defensive touchdown isn't an official stat. It is nothing the NFL cares about. Only fantasy players.
* Discussion is ongoing, but the prevailing opinion at the moment is that this should probably be credited as a defensive touchdown.
* The way football works, if we do end up going this way, then we'll have no difficulty updating leages/matchups/scores.
* This is different than a typical stat correction. Everyone agrees what happened, they just don't agree what to call it, and there is no official definition to fall back on.
* I have the Seattle defense on my main team :-)

So hang tight. It is a weird case, but we're not ignoring it, and if we decide there is an error, we can totally fix it and have it reflected in last week's matchups.


This didn't affect my score this week, but not counting it as a defensive TD is absolutely ridiculous. If the defense suddenly switches to offense when they generate a turnover, then no defensive touchdown should EVER count, as the defense is immediately on offense at the point of the turnover.

Just take it out to its logical end. Imagine the following situation... Team A and Team B. Team A is on offense and Team B is on defense.

Team A fumbles
Team B recovers the fumble, runs a few yards
Team B then fumbles
Team B recovers their fumble thereby becoming the offensive team according to the scoring decision above
Team B fumbles again
Team A recovers the fumble and then runs the ball in for a touchdown

According to the logic used on the Seahawk scoring decision, Team A would have technically scored the touchdown while on defense and the points should therefore be credited to the team defense for that team, even though its the offensive unit on the field. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If it all occurs in the same play on the field, offense is offense and defense is defense.

Class dismissed.

Dude
Image

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3481
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:30 pm

That's all well and good, but you are teaching the wrong class. Our provider, for whatever reason, doesn't agree with you. I don't think the situation is as simple as you say, because of the odd circumstances of the play, but in any case it doesn't much matter.

The good news, in my opinion, is that we've concluded that we don't understand their interpretation of this play, and it is our intention to count that touchdown as a defensive touchdown. It should appear in tomorrow's updates. If it doesn't, don't panic. We are going to credit it, we just don't often go out of our way to override stats from our provider.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 80
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am

And yes, Seattle is now credited with a defensive touchdown for this play.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 80
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:45 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:And yes, Seattle is now credited with a defensive touchdown for this play.


And my 2 pt loss just became my 2-0 team!
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby The_Dude » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:33 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:That's all well and good, but you are teaching the wrong class. Our provider, for whatever reason, doesn't agree with you. I don't think the situation is as simple as you say, because of the odd circumstances of the play, but in any case it doesn't much matter.

The good news, in my opinion, is that we've concluded that we don't understand their interpretation of this play, and it is our intention to count that touchdown as a defensive touchdown. It should appear in tomorrow's updates. If it doesn't, don't panic. We are going to credit it, we just don't often go out of our way to override stats from our provider.


I was being a bit tongue and cheek with the class coment, but in the end, you did the right thing.

Its an awfully slippery slope if a defensive unit suddenly becomes an offensive unit at the moment of possession change. What's interesting to me is that there was no precedent for this play. I watched this game and the offense fumbled, the defense recovered, the defense fumbled, but then recovered their own fumble and scored a TD. This isn't THAT rare of an NFL play, is it? Surely, there must be precedent on how this was scored in the past.
Image

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3481
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Re: Seattle defensive touchdown?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 am

The_Dude wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:That's all well and good, but you are teaching the wrong class. Our provider, for whatever reason, doesn't agree with you. I don't think the situation is as simple as you say, because of the odd circumstances of the play, but in any case it doesn't much matter.

The good news, in my opinion, is that we've concluded that we don't understand their interpretation of this play, and it is our intention to count that touchdown as a defensive touchdown. It should appear in tomorrow's updates. If it doesn't, don't panic. We are going to credit it, we just don't often go out of our way to override stats from our provider.


I was being a bit tongue and cheek with the class coment, but in the end, you did the right thing.

Its an awfully slippery slope if a defensive unit suddenly becomes an offensive unit at the moment of possession change. What's interesting to me is that there was no precedent for this play. I watched this game and the offense fumbled, the defense recovered, the defense fumbled, but then recovered their own fumble and scored a TD. This isn't THAT rare of an NFL play, is it? Surely, there must be precedent on how this was scored in the past.

I had similar thoughts, but I've worked here on the project for a few years now, and don't recall ever having this discussion come up before. It could be that it did, but our provider somehow interpreted it differently, which wouldn't have led to so much discussion. Just glad we seemingly got it worked out.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 80
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:55 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact