What's a Fair Way to Add a 2nd QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What's a Fair Way to Add a 2nd QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What's a Fair Way to Add a 2nd QB?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:15 pm

ESPN 10 Team Custom League. 1 QB starting, 1 on Roster

What is a fair way to add a 2nd QB to everyone's roster after the draft has already taken place?

I started a league with 1 QB starting and only 1 on the Roster. Now I realized, (after a league member brought it to my attention and posted it on the league message board) that on bye weeks, a team will either have to drop his QB to waivers or play without one. Guys who drafted top QBs are not going to like that, and rightfully so.

I thought about giving everyone a pick of QB in order of their draft, but that's not good because it gives them 1st pick twice. It's like giving the 1st drafter two first picks, and the 2nd drafter two 2nd picks, etc.

Should I make a random drawing for picking order or something else?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's a Fair Way to Add a 2nd QB?

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Are you saying that the league is slotted with no bench positions in which you can put a QB? Like the system limits your teams to only holding one QB per roster?

Or are you saying that in the draft you limited them, and as such, they have no open bench spots to put players in?

Honestly, unless you guys have the option to drop a player from your rosters to pick up a QB, I don't think there's a fair way to do this. You should rarely have access to real world FF stats for a current season when allowing people draft spots. Like, if you guys were in a no RB league and were going to add RBs... no one should have access to Addai, LT, and SJax's poor stats for this season.

If you're stuck, and you're the commish, you need to come up with a plan, and it should probably be a week by week plan... maybe protect people's QBs on QB bye week drops, so no one can pick the players up. That would probably be the easiest way to handle it. But it sure screws over people who would like to plan for their bye in advance.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby spodog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Huh. What a mess.

So if we have this straight, you will be expanding the rosters by one spot and changing the MAX # of QB's on a roster from 1 to 2, correct?

and you are trying to determine an equitable way of giving all owners an equal shot at the QB's in the free agent pool when you do this.

Well, I'd propose this:

If your league IS a $ league, then take 20% of the entry fee that all owners paid and "give" it back to all owners. Tell them that this amount is the MAX that they will be allowed to bid on any of available QB's that are to be sold off in the supplemental draft (all of them in your league's free agent pool). This is their 2nd QB Money, and they will be using it to bid on the QB's made availalbe in the supplemental QB draft.

Ask that all owners turn in a ranking of 1 through 5 (or as deep of a list as they want to turn in for that matter). On this list they should have ranked the QB's that they want and what they are willing to pay for them out of their 2nd QB Money. They can allocate their 2nd QB money any way they want. They can put it all on the top guy on their list, or they can spread it out among 3 QB's or 7 QB's or whatever they want to do. The only real rules here are they can not list a QB in more than 1 spot on their list and the TOTAL of all of their bids in all positions can not exceed their 20% 2nd QB allocation.

Then tell them you will be going through the lists and comparing ALL of the owners bids in position #1 to each other. Whichever owner had the highest bid for EACH available QB is awarded that player to their roster. If more than one owner bid the exact same amount for a free agent QB, then do a random drawing amongst the tied bids to determine who wins the QB.

After you have placed ALL the QB's who were in the #1 spot on everyone's submission, then you move onto the bids in the #2 spots on every owners sheet and repeat the process with all the #2 position bids.

Repeat this process until you have processed every QB and every $ amount on every owners sheet.

Now you will have some owners who did not "use up" all of their 2nd QB money. This leftover money should be returned to them in cash to compensate them for not getting a 2nd QB in this process.

Some owners will likely have been assigned more than 1 QB from this process, they will have to make a decision on who to cut (if you insist on only allowing 2 on the roster), and the cut player just drops into your league's regular waiver pool.

This is a lot of work for you, but it is the most fair way to do this, and you set the 1 QB roster up in the first place, after all.

If your league is NOT a $ league, then just do a random drawing for who will get to announce their additional QB waiver wire pick up 1st, 2nd, etc. Kind of a like a 2nd draft just to fill this extra roster spot.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TomBrooklyn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:58 am

spodog wrote:you will be expanding the rosters by one spot and changing the MAX # of QB's on a roster from 1 to 2, correct?
and you are trying to determine an equitable way of giving all owners an equal shot at the QB's in the free agent pool when you do this.
Well, I'd propose this: If your league is NOT a $ league, then just do a random drawing for who will get to announce their additional QB waiver wire pick up 1st, 2nd, etc. Kind of a like a 2nd draft just to fill this extra roster spot.

Ya, we will change the number of QBs allowed from 1 to 2 and increase the size of the bench by one spot so the second QB can reside there.

I was thinking random drawing for order of picks would be fair too.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:18 am

I would reverse the final order of the draft (Especially if it was an odd number) and do it that way. BUT I would also flip that list to make it my waiver list, to even things out.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner