Anyone else get any static about BAL vs HOU ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Anyone else get any static about BAL vs HOU ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone else get any static about BAL vs HOU ?

Postby MMeFFLBoss » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering, did anyone else get any flack from owners over the Baltimore vs Houston situation? Eventhough the NFL did give a somewhat late ruling about the game, it was for the best, namely people's personal safety.
In my league, the line-up deadline is 12:00 AM Sunday, so it gave little time for owners to make adjustments to their line-up. So, I pushed back the deadline until Noon Sunday, which a couple of owners made necessary changes, but only to those positions which contained a member from Baltimore or Houston. Getting just minor static from the situation, I still got one owner who was "steamed" that a rule change could be made in this situation, and made his opinion widely known.
Anyone else get any heated opinions shoved in their direction over this important re-scheduling of the game?
MMeFFLBoss
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone else get any static about BAL vs HOU ?

Postby spodog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 pm

None. The issue was resolved by the NFL in a way that made it very, very EASY for fantasy leagues to deal with, IMO.

Not sure what your whiner in your league expected. Was he steamed about the decision to reschedule the game or steamed that you deferred your starting lineup deadeline to Noon? (which is where it should be anyway).
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dupree » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 pm

we had one owner who is in the process of moving and only has internet access M-F at work. And he had the HOU WR in his starting line-up (and was also my opponent in wk2). My sense of fair play wouldn't let it go down that way....there were also 2 other owners that had HOU/BAL players in their line-up late Sat night and I wasn't sure if they had gone out of town or were otherwise unavailable over the weekend to see the news and correct their line-up. and I couldn't do for one and not the others so

at 11am on Sunday I checked to see that none of the 3 owners had indeed logged into the site and manually adjusted their rosters to bench the HOU/BAL player and insert that player from their bench who
a) played the same position
b) had the highest "project points" as published by ESPN on our site and was not of a status P,Q,O
c) if there was no player of matching position (say no back-up kicker) then no changes would be made.

I sent out a note of my intention late Saturday night and recieved no push back nor flak. For me this was the only "fair" thing to do in such an uprecedented situation. In all cases had a single player gotten the flu or broken a leg everyone one, including my opponent with limited access, would have been SOL as that is all part of the game. But for an entire game to get canceled and rescheduled less than 24hours ahead of kick-off... I would rather lose by 1 point due to my actions than to win by 1 point b/c my opponent had teh HOUSTON kicker in his line-up.

Thankfully everyone in my league, apparently, has the same fair minded approach to FF and applauded the decision.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Angry_Amish » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 pm

None, I contacted all teams who had any players that were affected. One guy was at the Washington game when he received my text; I had to add/drop and start a guy for him via phone ... all in a days work for the Commish! Everyone was happy.
Angry_Amish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:47 pm

i live in houston...and got some static from a couple guys. last we heard it was supposed to be played mon night...so all was good. then the city's electricity went out(i just got mine back today, most of teh city doesnt have it yet), so the change wasnt seen

im sensitive to the owners' whining, as we were in the middle of a hurricane when the word came down to cancel the game

what i am proposing to do is kind of weird, so id like to hear from you all. and keep in mind we were all in houston dealing w hurricane stuff, FFB was not the main priority here
after the game is played in nov, i will see if it would have changed the outcomes of the games played this week, and go back and edit rosters to reflect that at that time if need be. this will be only for players on starting rosters but had a PPD. in most cases AJ. one league one matchup has the guy winning by 9 over the guy w AJ...so it definately could affect this one

what do you all think
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 pm

Glad to see you came through the storm!!

In a similar vain as I approached the situation in my league (turns out one of the other owners, unbeknownst to me, resides in houston and was quite thankful for my adjustments) I would simply score the game substituting any HOU/BAL Starters with that bench player of the same position who had the higher pre-game projections/ranking. Failing the ability to find those week old rankings, I would sub in the score of that player from the bench who had ammassed the most points in weeks 1 and 2.

To me this is less messy then waiting for the make up game and also would the owner of the HOU/BAL players be able to start them in that week as well as retroactively score them in week 3?
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:52 am

dupree wrote:To me this is less messy then waiting for the make up game and also would the owner of the HOU/BAL players be able to start them in that week as well as retroactively score them in week 3?

i guess i would not let them start that player that week, so he would have a bye week. but i think i might go w your way instead. it seems easier
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:06 pm

But what if they trade said player to another team between now and then? (I would link the thread if I could find it, but I saw a similar discussion to this with the same counter-points that I am raising)
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:38 am

None here. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby grover99 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:45 pm

I contacted every owner who had a player on those two teams. Noone had a problem with it.
12 Team 1/2 PPR Dynasty Auction League.
QB: Cutler, Hill
RB: Turner,Slaton,Benson,Mendenhall,Harrison,Robinson, Greene
WR: CJ2, Fitz, Smith(NYG), Brunce, Morgan,Bryant
TE: Carlson
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner