Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high

Postby Mrpu » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Ok I'll get this one started this week, I just have a couple for each.

Sell High:

Santana Moss 2 nice games in a row
Eli Manning starting to look more like his big brother

Buy Low:

Randy Moss it will take a little time to adjust to his new qb
Payton Manning still getting into mid season form but will get it ever happen?

Please feel free to add your thought!
Mrpu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high

Postby mikus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 pm

I think this would be week 3 buy low/sell high. ;-D

EDIT: Nevermind, I am dumb. :-S
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm keeping Moss in the 1 league that I do have him, everyone told me Bowe would be the better fantasy player and should be drafted before him and while that may still be true at the time Moss was my first WR and I took him because he has potential for days like Sunday where he explodes which I do not think Bowe has yet, so for a guy to carry a WR core that isn't too pretty he is doing exactly what I drafted him for.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:00 pm

i have moss as my WR3 and am definatley looking to deal him high. i think LT might be a good buy low for those who are able to find a worried manager.
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mrpu » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:12 pm

would you consider DeSean Jackson a sell high candidate?
Mrpu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Mrpu wrote:would you consider DeSean Jackson a sell high candidate?

Tough call Desean is one of 2 WR's in NFL history with over 100 yds in his 1st 2 games and he should have had a TD tonight. On the flip side it is rare for a WR to do well in his first season.

I think he will be a solid play until Curtis gets back then decline a bit. But right now I like his upside so you might be able to get some good value out of him.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Jagator73 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 am

Yes, and I would add Julius Jones the sell high list for sure this week too.
Jagator73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 am

Addai can be a buy low candidate. Jeff Saturday should be coming back in the next couple weeks, though I haven't heard anything about Tony Ugoh. Holmes also hasn't had a great game yet, you could try to get him for cheap.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:30 am

Jagator73 wrote:

Yes, and I would add Julius Jones the sell high list for sure this week too.

Julie has a real nice match-up this week, so it may be better to wait a week.

Buy low might be Ryan Grant. But there is risk. He has a hammy issue, but didn't look to be hurting from it Sunday-unless you want to count not running worth a darn vs a crap D.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby The Lung » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:32 am

Before we continue with any Buy Low / Sell High discussion, perhaps it best to define the concept. I say this based on the week 1 BuyLow/Sell high thread in which people were recommending Jay Cutler and others as buy low candidates, which makes absolutely ZERO sense. (Remember that Cutler had just shredded the Raiders defense for 299 yards and 3 TDs)

Fantasy football is like the stock market — to succeed, you need to understand when to buy low and sell high. That means it's crucial to identify players likely to increase their value and acquire them before they take off. It also means avoiding — or at least paying less for — players who have peaked and are likely to decline in value. The tricky part is knowing when players have reached their highest value and when they have reached their lowest.

One of the best ways to tell if a player has reached his highest value or lowest value is to study the opponents they recently have played and the opponents they will play in upcoming weeks. If a player is hot, but has torn up weak defenses, and faces a tougher upcoming schedule, that player may be a great sell-high candidate. If a player is struggling to produce numbers, but has faced a tough schedule, and has an easy schedule ahead, that player could be a solid buy-low candidate.

• In my opinion, here is the textbook example of a buy low candidate: WR Braylon Edwards - 2 games and only 5 catches for 46 yards and no TDs. BUT, Cleveland has faced two of the strongest teams in the league and the winds during the Browns game on Sunday night were gusting 50+ mph. Addtionally, Edwards is coming off a foot injury.

Edwards caught 80 passes for 1289 yards and 16 TDs last year - this can't last forever. Why not swing a trade offer to an impatient owner to see if he will give Edwards up? It never hurts to try. ;-D
  • In my opinion, here is the textbook example of a sell high candidate: WR DeSean Jackson - yes, despite the boneheaded drop just short of the endzone, the rookie has been brilliant in the first two weeks, going over 100 yards in each game and being the first rookie to do so since like the 1940s. However, the Eagles faced the worst passing defense in the league in week 1, the Rams, and the Eagles were in a shootout against the Cowboys. Additionally, what will Jackson's role be when the #1 and #1A Eagles receivers, Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown, return from their injuries? I'm willing to bet that Jackson's role will be considerably less. And finally, rookies are notoriously inconsistent and it's extremely rare that a rookie experiences an Anquan Boldin / Randy Moss type rookie season. Jackson's value is at all all-time high now and can't last forever. Why not swing a trade offer to an owner to see if he will give up an elite receiver in exchange for Jackson? It never hurts to try.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Next

Return to Football Talk