Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 2 BuyLow/Sell high

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:45 am

As the one that bring up Jay Cutler last week. For the Record He was a buy low. He could of been had for a Roethlisberger or a Lee Evans or a McFadden or Something like that.

But he is not longer a buy low. To get him now is going to cost you a Romo or a Steve Smith that isn't buying low.
THE TERMINATOR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 am

The facts about Maurice Jones Drew- Garrard hasn't shown he can play like last year; three starting o-linemen out; both presumed starters at wideout haven't played and are weeks away from doing so.
The opinions-
1) MJD's a buy-low because he historically starts slow but picks up. Last year no TDs through 3 games, then 10 in the next 12. Garrard will get his feet under him. Combined with Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson coming back to stretch the field, MJD'll have plenty of room to run. Plus, you never know when Fraylor'll be forced out due to injury/age;
2) MJD's a sell-high, because people will remember the aforementioned 10TD/12gm stretch from last year, forget the issues listed in the first paragraph and trade on name recognition.

Hasselbeck's a great buy-low candidate. While he merely has q-tips and sporks at the moment, the planned return of Engram and/or Branch, along with Maurice Morris, will more than double his available targets. A nice schedule (NFC west, along with Miami and StL in the playoffs) makes him even more enticing.

Philip Rivers- LT always does this. He starts poorly, forcing either Burner in past years, or Sproles now to carry the burden- or the passing game if the D's not doing its job. Last year, he didn't have move than 100 combined yards until Week 4. A 198 yard, 4TD game against Oak in week 6 showed he was just revving up for a nice fantasy playoff run, where he ultimately got a minimum of 100 yard and 1TD each of the fantasy playoff games. (I almost pulled off an LT trade with a concerned owner last year!)
As LT rounds into form, Rivers will fall from the number 2 overall scorer spot he's earned in many of my leagues.

Roy Williams- His contract with the Lions ends this year, Calvin Johnson is becoming the lead wideout, and Shaun McDonald has been targeted more than Williams. Not surprisingly, Williams has complained about this. He's dangerously veering into Ocho Cinco territory- big name WR who gets over half his output in two or three games. Traded for on name recognition alone.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:07 am

My Week 2 Picks

Buy Low

Joseph Addai
He offen gets off to a Slow start and a Tuff matchups in the first two weeks didn't help. You can trust he'll get started soon and it is good time to try and steal him.

Peyton Manning
Another Colt player off to a Slow Start and the thought is out there the injury he is playing with is the reason but it really is becouse of who he has played.

Braylon Edwards
He is off to bad enough start that someone might do something stupid and badly under sell him.

Drew Brees
You tell them Brees has lost Colston for a number of Weeks and losing the only good wide Reciever he has got to hart him to buy low on him and not werry about it yourself for he has some alright wide Recievers and his upcoming schedule are againts teams yet to stop the pass.

Greg Jennings
His value his gone up a bit in last week and it is a time to nab him before everyone knows it.

Aaron Rodgers
He just might be better then everyone thinks he is and it makes it possable to steal him.

Marques Colston
He's still out a few more weeks and it is only a few weeks and your team would be better. So it's worth a try.

Sell High

Maurice Jones-Drew
It's easy to think he is a buy low but Jaguars' offensive line has injuries that aren't going away and there isn't room for him run and he is Splitting carries with Fred Taylor and it's not selling low when that is what you should expect all season.

Torry Holt
St Louis is just a Bad team and he is going to have disapointing games.

Larry Johnson
There is red flags all around him and it is best to sell before everyone see it.

Laurence Maroney
His value is alot lower then what everyone thinks it is.

Derek Anderson
It's only a mather of time before he loses the starting job. So it is best to sell him when people still think he is a buy low.
THE TERMINATOR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby justinj312 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 am

The Lung wrote:[*] Additionally, what will Jackson's role be when the #1 and #1A Eagles receivers, Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown, return from their injuries? I'm willing to bet that Jackson's role will be considerably less. [/list]

I disagree completely. Do you think Andy Reid is getting tired of calling 60 yd TD passes? Andy Reid has found a new weapon in DJax. He is there best deep threat and he will not be giving up that role to #2 and #2A (IMO). Reid has already said Brown will not be starting week 3. I think Jackson is the only safe weekly play of all the eagles WRs (plus he returns punts too.).
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 am

A few thoughts on the Players speak of.

Santana Moss
It may be a bad idea to sell High on him. Yes he did have a Big Games and you may be right that you can't count on that from week to week but you can count on him having more games like then when he plays againt weaker teams and the schedule he has during the Fantasy Playoffs is one to lick your chops over and one that might make him worth holding on to.

Desean Jackson
Once again everyone is saying he is a sell high but I still think you can't get more for him then what he is worth.

Kurt Warner
I think he is only a Sell high only if you can find someone with too high of a option of him and I don't think that's possable.

Matt Hasselbeck
He was a little overvalued and what he has done so far is about what you should expect from him.
THE TERMINATOR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cleokatrah » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:56 am

Mr. Moose wrote:Bye Low: Cotchery... he has started pretty slow and Favre is still learning the offense so Cotch's potential should go up each weak as more of the playbook is installed. Over the last two seasons Cotch averaged 82/1045/4 with "noodle arm". I fully expect him to surpass those numbers with Favre at the helm and if you extrapolate his first two weeks for the entire season you get 32/800/8. I think the TD's are probably pretty close but other than that he is not producing to his potential.

I don't think Cotchery is necessarily a buy low. You can't really blame him for not doing well against NE's D. He needs another couple low scoring games before his drafters start to panic, I think. I drafted him, and I am still more excited than nervous.

My candidates are:

Buy Low

Carson Palmer/CJ. Cincy can't be THIS terrible ALL year. And they have fantasy owners that are definitely panicking. Then again, who knows.

Joey Galloway > When he returns to the lineup, I expect him to produce. He always ends up quietly having a good season.

Sell High

Michael Turner > Wait. Don't shout at me. Turner will run ALL OVER KC this weekend and then he's got two more games before his schedule gets harder. I think about half of his matchups are unfavorable after that. If you are leery of that, then the time to trade him would be after KC. You might be able to get two solid producing fantasy players for the price of 1.5.

All the other sell high candidates have been named, imo.
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:20 am

Cleokatrah wrote:All the other sell high candidates have been named, imo.

The reasoning you provided for your sell-high cadidates was thought-provoking. What players that have been named do you agree with, and why?
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:54 am

i honestly think that this threse weekly thread names should to be changed to "trade for or trade away". even with the lungs post, it still looks like there is confusion in this thread.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:07 am

LOL... In my big money league I have AD/Lynch/Jstew/CJ4.24/Dmac/Rice/Mendenhall at RB

People are trying to buy DMac from me since he is hurt. The ultimate attempt at a buy low. His value isn't even that low right now... Furthermore, It's a keeper league where we keep 4 vets and 1 rookie. I'm not an idiot!

Just thought that was funny enough to post in the buy low thread...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:28 am

S. Moss looks like a great sell high right now. Yes he's got some talent but he's been incredibly inconsistent over his career and will have weeks where he scores 2 TDs and 100+ yards and weeks where he gets 20 yards. I'm just not that confident in Campbell or the Skins offense.

I just traded Moss for Jennings.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk