Age limit? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Age limit?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Age limit?

Postby AsianChexMix » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm

I was wondering because I created a church league and was wondering what you guys think about it. I see that people quit and abandon this league. The majority (7 people out of 10) are between the ages of 14-16. We have three people who are 22+. I was wondering if anyone else has found a correlation between younger players and abandoning leagues. The league I created with the 18+ people, they didn't abandon. They didn't show up at the draft BUT they are at least updating the rosters and making moves. I was wondering about everyone else. I mean does it have to do with motivation or immaturity? I think the 18+ rule is working out a lot better though. Thoughts?
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Age limit?

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:55 pm

If it's for fun, then I think it's just a matter of making sure people are having a good time. Maybe I'd do something out of my own pocket to keep the kids interested. Maybe weekly awards, maybe a trophy at the end of the year, something like that. Just to make sure there's an incentive to play. Maybe you don't want that kind of extra expense, though.

BUT for the record, the only minors I'd play in any kind of MONEY league with would be the children (of an appropriate age) of fellow league members. If Bilbo wants to have his son play in the league... then I feel like it's safe. Friends, students, church members... I'd never play in any amount of money league with minors. I'd outright refuse.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Age limit?

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:26 am

AsianChexMix wrote:I was wondering because I created a church league and was wondering what you guys think about it. I see that people quit and abandon this league. The majority (7 people out of 10) are between the ages of 14-16. We have three people who are 22+. I was wondering if anyone else has found a correlation between younger players and abandoning leagues. The league I created with the 18+ people, they didn't abandon. They didn't show up at the draft BUT they are at least updating the rosters and making moves. I was wondering about everyone else. I mean does it have to do with motivation or immaturity? I think the 18+ rule is working out a lot better though. Thoughts?

Sadly (or not) people over 18 tend to have a lot more time and patience to update their teams. Whether its checking from work, class, ect. they are able to make the time to update their teams, and tend to read more about FF. Meanwhile the kids are on the internet just as much, but more about chatting/playing games. Im willing to bet that few 14-16 year olds spend much time on the major football news sites.

Plus they get distracted more easily.

My suggestions are to do two things.
1. Establish a prize. A good one, even if it doesnt take money, can be a great reward. If this is a church league where friends/families are around see if you cant put a small plaque up with the winners name each year (I would get one with multiple winner slots). That shouldnt cost you more then a few bucks (none if you get everyone to kick in $1-2). A plaque in an activity space/office somewhere would give people bragging rights and something to play for.

2. Encourage the message board/news stories. A number of sites offer the ability to post videos, pictures or fake news stories on the message board. A little trash-talk always keeps people interested. Obviously kids can be cruel, so try to make it more about their players then their peers.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner