WR rankings now - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WR rankings now

Moderator: Football Moderators

WR rankings now

Postby codered7 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:33 pm

These Are HIGHLY influenced by first 2 weeks...

1.TO
2.Wayne
3.Baby TO
4.AJ
5.Megatron(show a lil more and hes #3)
6.Fitz
7.Plax
8.Braylon
9.Moss
10.Boldin
11.Holt
12.Housh
13.Ward
14.Holmes
15.Jennin
16.Roy
17.Bowe
18.Chambers
19.Lee
20.White

DISCUSS please!! I need to know what you guys think!
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WR rankings now

Postby ampant » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

A good stab, but with a few important omissions.

1.TO
2.Wayne
3.Baby TO
4.AJ
5.Megatron(show a lil more and hes #3)
6.Fitz
7.Plax
8.Braylon
9.Moss (Randy)
10.Boldin ;-D I would switch Fitz and Boldin as long as Warner is the QB. I have owned both and noticed that Boldin tends to get more love from Kurt.
11.Holt :-P I have to disagree here. Holt's lone TD came on a desperation play. His team is in shambles, and Bulger is getting sacked like his name was David Carr
12.Housh :-t His team is looking terrible. He plays in a very tough division. He'll have a few big gains, but i don't think he ends up anywhere near the top 10 unless something drastically changes in Cincy, and I don't know what that would be. . . he slides down for the same reason you don't have 85 listed in the top 20
13.Ward :-? Ward has to go up this list. I wish I had him, because he is obviously still Ben's favorite target near the endzone.
14.Holmes
15.Jennings :-? I would rank him higher. He gets consistent yardage in a phenomenal passing attack. His TDs will come.
16.Roy
17.Bowe
18.Chambers
19.Lee
20.White

Guys that are missing from this list and should probably be on it . . . Santana Moss (201/2), DeSean Jackson, etc.

Basically, if I were drafting again today, I am not sure I would take Holt or either Cincy receiver before guys like Ward, Jennings
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby quack quack » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 pm

what about steve smith??? where do you see him fitting in now he's back?
quack quack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ampant » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Here's my stab . . .

1.TO - no doubter
2. Marshall - he will lead the league in receptions . . . DEN's O is looking like the Pats of last year
3.Wayne
4. Boldin - Monster . . . gets tons of yardage and TDs
5. Calvin - See Boldin
6. Burress - As long as he is healthy he's a top dude. Eli looks to him 1st all the time
7. AJ - His QB is sucking, he gets all the coverage, and he plays in a TOUGH division. He is here based on his freakish talent alone
8. Steve Smith - You forgot about him . . . totally. He looked great in preseason. Maybe too low here.
9. Moss - I think his numbers will improve as Cassell gets more comfortable pulling the trigger.
10.Fitz - Plenty of yards, plays in a weak weak division, but IMHO he is the #2 in Zona right now.
11.Braylon - Again . . . talented, but in a tough division with a QB who has sucked his last 7 games or so
12. Ward - He has always been a favorite target. He dropped because he was hurt, but as long as he is healthy, he is elite.
13. Jennings - He gets tons of catches, and is a huge big play threat. If Rogers keeps playing well, he will likely get double digit TDs again this year.
14. Santana Moss - Cooley seems to be blocking more. Moss is still fast enough to get open and take it to the house. He is far and away the top receiving threat on his team, and his division is stacked with powerful offenses that they will have to throw on to stay close. His Qb is good.
15. Santonio Holmes - Good offense with a good QB. His numbers would be better if Pitt's D wasn't so good.
16. Roy Williams - He is definitely playing in Calvin's shadow now. Kitna needs to stop throwing picks and tantrums and start throwing more TDs Roy's way.
17. Chambers - He's always been talented. Now he's finally got a good offense, with time to learn the system.
18. DeSean Jackson - The Eagles offense is too good, and I think he has earned the right to keep his spot. His QB is good enough to get him the ball, and he is god enough to get open. Other than the MNF nonTD backwards flip, his play has been spectacular.
19. Jerricho Cotchery - Brady's loss didn't affect the Patriots secondary. Cotchery is a deep threat for Favre's strong arm. I expect him to pick it up from here.
20. Housh - Cincy can't suck all year. He's too talented to not have a few huge games.
21. Evans - Edwards is looking good, and I expect Evans will break off a few big ones and end the year with 1000+ and 7-8 TDs.

Lower Tier guys (numerical ranking could be off by +/- 5 spots)

22. Dwayne Bowe - If he had a real QB, and didn't drop passes, he could be higher up.
23. Eddie Royal - This guy torched the Raiders, and his offense has enough power to keep his value up. He is probably #3 on that team behind Marshall and Scheffler, which is why he is going to continue to see action. He will be too open for Cutler not to hit him.
24. Holt - The Rams offense is worse than you think. Their O-Line sucks and can't provide enough time for long plays to develop, their QB is on pace to get sacked a record number of times, and Holt doesn't have time anybody to threaten on the other side of the field. I'm not sure he breaks 1000 yards 6 TDs this year.
25. Bryant Johnson - Both he and Bruce may be undervalued in that Martz system, especially considering they are in the NFC west. I put him here instead of Bruce because he is physically more gifted.
26. Wes Welker - This guy moves up in PPR leagues. He is the textbook definition of a possession receiver.
27. Mr. Ocho Cinco - similar to Housh and Holt. I am not sure what is going on in Cincy, but I'm not sure it's going to get better anytime soon.
28. Roddy White - He might be too low here,

Honorable Mention (guys that could end up sliding onto the list): Anthony Gonzales, Matt Jones, Isaac Bruce, Kevin Curtis (when back), Bobby Engram/Deion Branch (when back), Vincent Jackson, Patrick Crayton, Donald Driver, Justin Gage, Joey Galloway, Marvin Harrison, Mark Clayton

Maybye you could slide guys around a few places, but if I were drafting, that's about the order I would value them as my picks came around. There are a few guys who I don't really know where to put, it gets tougher as you go down the list.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Just a few comments.

Not sure why you guys have TO as a no doubt No. 1. He currently is only about 3rd in fantasy scoring. Boldin and Calvin are ahead of him. PPR he's not even close. He's caught 3TDs but hasn't got over 100 yards yet. And there are a few guys that could easily outproduce him.

Don't know how you can really say Andre's QB is "sucking" after just one game AT PITTSBURGH. As long as he's healthy AJ will consistently get catches, yards, and TDs. He probably one of the 3 highest targeted WRs in the game.

I'm curious as to what DeSean will do once Brown and Curtis are healthy. He could be a glorious sell high candidate if he posts a couple more 100 yard games in their absence.

Although we speculate he will be great, the jury is still out on Smith. But he's probably going to be a stud with Delhomme in there.

Clearly the game is changing to a heavier passing scheme. Last year there were a record number of guys with double digit TD catches. When would you ever think that Fitzgerald having nearly 200 yards receiving and a TD after 2 weeks would be considered about the 10th best fantasy receiver.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ampant » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:21 pm

Azrael wrote:Not sure why you guys have TO as a no doubt No. 1. He currently is only about 3rd in fantasy scoring. Boldin and Calvin are ahead of him. PPR he's not even close. He's caught 3TDs but hasn't got over 100 yards yet. And there are a few guys that could easily outproduce him.

They have a high powered offense in DAL, and TO and Barber consist of 70% of it. His QB loves him, and he is always a huge EZ target. TDs are sometimes flukey (word?) . . . but TO is a TD magnet. He is consistently one of the top WRs in the game, and since he has arrived in Dallas he has averaged 83 yards and 1 td/game. He's extremely consistent. Maybe you want to put him a couple spots down . . . fine. But the only guys drafted ahead of him (Moss and Edwards) aren't touching him. At this point I am not willing to give guys a higher ranking based on 1 or 2 games. Consistency counts.

Azrael wrote:Don't know how you can really say Andre's QB is "sucking" after just one game AT PITTSBURGH. As long as he's healthy AJ will consistently get catches, yards, and TDs. He probably one of the 3 highest targeted WRs in the game.
In 5 years, AJ has never posted more than 8 TDs in any given year and never broken 1150 yards. He has only made it through three seasons healthy, and that also downgrades him in my book. As far as his QB is concerned, in 11 games last year, Matty Schaub threw 9 TDs and 9 INTs. He didn't look great in the preseason, and hasn't looked good in his only game this year. You want to give a guy like that the benefit of the doubt . . . fine. But I think people where were picking him to succeed this year weren't basing it on any actual facts.

Azrael wrote:I'm curious as to what DeSean will do once Brown and Curtis are healthy. He could be a glorious sell high candidate if he posts a couple more 100 yard games in their absence.
If that weren't a question, I would have ranked him higher. He has shone in the preseason, and in his 1st two games. I bet he holds on to the starting role, with Curtis on the opposite side of the field. But my crystal ball is broken. Dude has talent, and a great QB to get him the ball though.

Azrael wrote:Although we speculate he will be great, the jury is still out on Smith. But he's probably going to be a stud with Delhomme in there.
We know Delhomme loves him, and he is consistently good, with that crazy 1500+ yard season thrown in. I am comfortable with him at 8th overall.

Azrael wrote:Clearly the game is changing to a heavier passing scheme. Last year there were a record number of guys with double digit TD catches. When would you ever think that Fitzgerald having nearly 200 yards receiving and a TD after 2 weeks would be considered about the 10th best fantasy receiver.
I'm not sure what you are insinuating . . . . that he's too low, or too high? If you think he's too low, I moved him down because he gets more attention from Leinart than from Boldin. Last year when Leinart was the starting most the time, Fitz had 1400 yards and 10 scores. . . . the year before when Warner was the guy, those numbers drop to 950 and 6. That's pretty significant, and should be taken into account. Santana Moss has over 200 yards and a TD as well. You think Moss and Fitz are equivalent?

If you think he's too high, explain why.

Criticism is fine . . . but it's a lot easier to pick a few guys you don't like than it is to actually do some research and put your own list together. I think I have good responses to all of your points. Maybe you don't agree with what importance to give to different factors, but I'd love to see your list.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:32 pm

quack quack wrote:what about steve smith??? where do you see him fitting in now he's back?

Yes, the fact that he's missing from 2/3 lists is pretty bad. I figure he'll be at least a top 7-8 WR with definite top 5 potential, especially with the way the Panther's offense is rolling. A successful run game means openings in the pass game.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:29 pm

For Andre Johnson: Before last year, he had three seasons where he played 16 games, and one season where he played 13 games. He's not even close to being tagged with "injury prone" yet.

And to explain why his stats were never good before: Houston O-Line used to suck hairy chestnuts and their field general was DAVID CARR

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby codered7 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:32 pm

lol im sorry guys i did this in like 5mins off my head...I HAVE STEVIE TOO in big money!!! HE Better be ranked #1 wr by the end of this year!!!! Stevie is #6 in my rankings.

good pt on boldin being closer to fitz with warner...i forgot leinart is the fitzman. I still like fitz better, no way boldin is top 5 by the end of the yr tho one big skewed game.

Desean Jackson maybe got skillz but he's gonna lose his job once Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis comes back...good luck producn beast #s from the slot.

umm... are u serious about TO not being #1? Do you see how he produces tds everygame...in the past 2 yrs? Do you see how Tony Homo and TO are gay lovers? So close that they cry for each other?
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby ampant » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:37 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:For Andre Johnson: Before last year, he had three seasons where he played 16 games, and one season where he played 13 games. He's not even close to being tagged with "injury prone" yet.

And to explain why his stats were never good before: Houston O-Line used to suck hairy chestnuts and their field general was DAVID CARR

Matt Schaub . . . . 9 tds and 9 picks in 11 games as a starter last year. ;-D ;-D ;-D Draft him early.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk