Fantasy Scoring in Jax vs Buffalo Game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Fantasy Scoring in Jax vs Buffalo Game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Scoring in Jax vs Buffalo Game

Postby scoobyDoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 am

I can't understand why most of the big sites (NFL.com, Yahoo, ESPN) are crediting Jones-Drew for a fumble on the last play of the game. The play by play reads...

2nd and 10 at JAX 31 (:14) (Shotgun) D.Garrard pass short left to M.Jones to JAX 41 for 10 yards. Lateral to M.Jones-Drew to JAX 44 for 3 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by BUF-J.Greer at JAX 44.
PENALTY on JAX-M.Jones, Illegal Forward Pass, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 44.

So Jones illegally fumbled forward at the end of regulation, and Jones Drew scooped it up and lost it. The refs came out and blew the play dead once it hit the ground after the illegal forward pass...so why is Jones-Drew credited with a fumble when the play-by-play and official on the field clearly enforced the illegal forward pass and blew the play dead (game over) as time had expired?

Am I just grasping at straws that there will be a correction, or is this legit?
scoobyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fantasy Scoring in Jax vs Buffalo Game

Postby KK_Cowboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 am

well based on the evidence i would your question is very valid and if it was indeed an illegal forward pass that should take priority over the fumble as the illegal pass should negate the fumble.
KK_Cowboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scoobyDoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:36 am

I didn't actually see the play itself, however I saw the referee come onto the field and call the play after the illegal forward pass (I turned the channel over about 2 seconds too late).

But from the yardage, the play-by-play shows that Matt Jones illegally advanced the ball 3 yards up field to MJD. I would like to e-mail ESPN to get an official clarification on the play, but its practically impossible to find contact information on their fantasy site.
scoobyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kaotic Ryit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 am

Yep Yahoo has this as well and it could have very well cost me a win this week. I won my game by .16 points. And the ONLY reason that happened was because Romo got -.20 points for his 2 kneel downs to end the game. I would have 2 more points if the Yahoo would fix the fact that MJD DID NOT have a fumble lost.

I still won (assuming there are no OTHER point changes) but the fact remains that it could very easily cost people a win as it almost did me.

The bottom line here is the second Matt Jones foward lateraled that ball the play is DEAD. Meaning MJD does not have possession and therefore CANNOT fumble it.
Kaotic Ryit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby scoobyDoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:53 am

I ended up losing the game by 1 point, as a result of the fumble.

I was looking in another forum on a different site for more info, and somebody in that forum was saying that the officials reviewed the play, called it an illegal forward pass, and Jacksonville retained possession, but was assessed with a 10 second run-off for an offensive penalty under 2 minutes.

So if the ball didn't change possession there can't be a fumble. They have to change this, don't they?
scoobyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kaotic Ryit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:56 am

scoobyDoo wrote:I ended up losing the game by 1 point, as a result of the fumble.

I was looking in another forum on a different site for more info, and somebody in that forum was saying that the officials reviewed the play, called it an illegal forward pass, and Jacksonville retained possession, but was assessed with a 10 second run-off for an offensive penalty under 2 minutes.

So if the ball didn't change possession there can't be a fumble. They have to change this, don't they?

That description is exactly what happened. I would have thought it would have been changed by now. It might be a good idea to email the powers that be on whatever site you are on and inform them. Otherwise I know on Yahoo I have seen stat corrections on Tuesday so maybe theres still hope.
Kaotic Ryit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby scoobyDoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 am

Nope. No change in scoring from ESPN...this sucks. I don't even care so much about the loss, I just want to know how they interpret that play and score it.
scoobyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kaotic Ryit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Awesome. So Yahoo updated some stats and of course took away a point from one of my IDPs and so now I have LOST because of this blatant scoring error. The fumble lost is -2 points in my league and therefore it would swing the game back to me winning. I have emailed Yahoo last night (when I was winning because I knew this would happen), but have no heard back. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.
Kaotic Ryit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby scoobyDoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:40 pm

Awesome. So Yahoo updated some stats and of course took away a point from one of my IDPs and so now I have LOST because of this blatant scoring error. The fumble lost is -2 points in my league and therefore it would swing the game back to me winning. I have emailed Yahoo last night (when I was winning because I knew this would happen), but have no heard back. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

I e-mailed ESPN, and they sent back this incredibly informative message: "The NFL has ruled this play a fumble."

Gee, thanks ESPN! Anyways, I did a little research on the play and starting with the 2008 season (not sure if that 07-08, or 08-09 but i digress) a rule change was enacted that allows a defensive team to recover and/or advance an illegal forward pass/lateral. Wherever the fumble recoverer is touched down, the fumble recovering team gets 5 additional yards from the penalty.

That seems to be why they are counting the fumble lost. But I still have one problem with the play.

The referee on the field's call (after review) was that it was still Jacksonville's ball (incorrectly I think). The refs gave it to Jacksonville and ran out the clock; so unless the NFL retroactively changed the officials call on the field (which shouldn't be allowed as Buffalo would have still had 3 seconds left) it should not be a fumble. My guess is that since it was the last play of the game, the NFL can essentially change the call on the field without incident, as it wouldn't change the outcome of the game at all.
scoobyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kaotic Ryit » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:02 am

scoobyDoo wrote:

I e-mailed ESPN, and they sent back this incredibly informative message: "The NFL has ruled this play a fumble."

Gee, thanks ESPN! Anyways, I did a little research on the play and starting with the 2008 season (not sure if that 07-08, or 08-09 but i digress) a rule change was enacted that allows a defensive team to recover and/or advance an illegal forward pass/lateral. Wherever the fumble recoverer is touched down, the fumble recovering team gets 5 additional yards from the penalty.

That seems to be why they are counting the fumble lost. But I still have one problem with the play.

The referee on the field's call (after review) was that it was still Jacksonville's ball (incorrectly I think). The refs gave it to Jacksonville and ran out the clock; so unless the NFL retroactively changed the officials call on the field (which shouldn't be allowed as Buffalo would have still had 3 seconds left) it should not be a fumble. My guess is that since it was the last play of the game, the NFL can essentially change the call on the field without incident, as it wouldn't change the outcome of the game at all.

ATTENTION!

Check your league again and it SHOULD be fixed. MJD is NOT CREDITED with a Fumble Lost any more on NFL.com. Yahoo seems to have fixed the scoring. Although its a mess right now. The standings show me as 2-0. But if I click on the week 2 scoreboard it shows it as a loss for me from the .88 still. However clicking on my team and then week 2 shows MJD back up the 2 points.

I checked NFL.com and the fumble lost he had credited is GONE. So this should be fixed ASAP in all leagues now. So if your league doesnt do it automatically then you should email them again and tell them the ruling has been changed!

This wins me the week thank god. I dont get mad if I lose normally, but losing THAT WAY pissed me off.

THIS ALSO EFFECTS ANYONE WHO IS PLAYING OR PLAYING AGAINST BUFFALO D/ST. This LOSES them a fumble recovery which in my league is +2 points. Oddly enough the guy I was playing was playing Buffalo D so it was actually a 4 point swing for me. I went from a loss by .88 points to a win by about 3.5 points.
Kaotic Ryit
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting