Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion

Postby Metroid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:47 am

I know somebody that could make the sigs. O:-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:47 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:
You wanna do a sig challenge for who does better for the rest of the regular season (Win-Loss determinant)? If Kansas makes it to the Big 12 game that doesn't count since it would be an additional game.

Loser has to wear a Gator/Husker signature for a month after the regular season.

I may have to root for you to lose because I would rather see u wearing a husker sig than the one u are wearing now !+)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am

Metroid wrote:I know somebody that could make the sigs. O:-)

Me too, but I think he left. :-?

He used to wear this awesome Oregon duck sig and also some hot chicks, but I haven't seen those sigs in a while :,-(
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:57 am

knapplc wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:As I said last week, and deeray mentioned it, its that they grade out. To help eliminate bias you cant go fully by the "eye test". I agree that they havent looked like world beaters, but outside the top10-15, who has? You really believe that at this point in the young season that these teams have EARNED the ranking that you're givinig them: Ohio St, Illinois, Fresno St, Florida St, Arizona St, Clemson? I can agree that most if not all of these teams may seem either more talented or better gelled, but PLEASE, lets actually take the results into question, when ranking. Yes, Frensno played a nice game that they shouldve won, but at the end of the day, this is a 1-1 football team. Probably the best 1-1 team out there, but they have a loss at home, and a road win that looked great at the time, but now North Carolina went in there and punked them worse than Fresno did. Ohio St? Really? They've "looked" like on the best 25 teams so far? I think you need to go in for an eye exam, knapp. :-b

You may think they grade out, but I don't. Like I said, having watched all of Nebraska's games, they have big questions to answer that, frankly, they haven't answered yet. Further, they keep losing D-linemen and they're down to a redshirt freshman on one rush end.

Do I KNOW that all of the teams I've ranked have EARNED their ranking? Of course not. But I know what top-25 football looks like, and right now, Nebraska doesn't look like a top-25 team. Believe me, I want them to be up there just as much as anyone. But they're not.

I will say this. Having watched their games I will guarantee you that Bo is keeping stuff back for VT, Missouri and Oklahoma. They are not showing the full playbook on either side of the ball, and that's limited Nebraska's output. But there are enough mental mistakes being made that should NOT be happening, especially on offense where the team has the most consistency from last year to this, that makes me concerned about the future.

Funny. I dont disagree with you about NU. I guess I just feel like its okay to rank them based on what they've achieved so far, relative to what other teams have achieved at this point. Depending on what happens in other games this Saturday, I could move NU up or move them way down even without playing a game. Most will have them ranked if they beat VT, but they'll soon be forgotten if they get crushed by Mizzou and TT. I believe the rankings are meant to be fluid based on weekly results. Not static like you see from most polls ("I cant move them down if they dont lose", etc.).
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:58 am

Considering that Kansas has the most brutal schedule of the two, I think that would be a sucker's bet for me to take. I don't do sig bets, anyway.

But what the heck. I'm bored. Let's do it. I'll wear a Gator sig for a month, since I'm pretty sure you'll win. But it'll be something different.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:01 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:Funny. I dont disagree with you about NU. I guess I just feel like its okay to rank them based on what they've achieved so far, relative to what other teams have achieved at this point. Depending on what happens in other games this Saturday, I could move NU up or move them way down even without playing a game. Most will have them ranked if they beat VT, but they'll soon be forgotten if they get crushed by Mizzou and TT. I believe the rankings are meant to be fluid based on weekly results. Not static like you see from most polls ("I cant move them down if they dont lose", etc.).

Here's why I hesitate - despite the awesomeness of Bo and Co., and despite the obvious improvement I've seen in just three games, this is still largely the same team that mentally checked out last year when the chips were down.

I have a ton of faith in Bo Pelini as head coach. I think, given time, he'll be successful here. But he's not a miracle worker, and he's not out there on the field. We'll see what happens when the Huskers lose a game. That's the true test for this team, for me.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:32 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Question I had is why Jay has FSU so high?

They have between to DII schools thus far. What have they done to deserve moving into the top 25?

My main reason...They're finally free from the shackles of Drew Weatherford. :-b Richardson and Ponder have both looked pretty good (bad competition, but still looked good) 8 TDs, 0 picks, 65ish% completion.

Let's see what they do against Wake. They are currently favored by 4, which goes against what many of you thought because you all had Wake higher. I think FSU covers and wins by at least 10.

Lock of the week: FSU (-4) ;-)
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby VaderFin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Did HskrPwr really not rank Ohio State in his Top 30 or is that an error?
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:56 pm

jayday wrote:

They have between to DII schools thus far. What have they done to deserve moving into the top 25?

My main reason...They're finally free from the shackles of Drew Weatherford. :-b Richardson and Ponder have both looked pretty good (bad competition, but still looked good) 8 TDs, 0 picks, 65ish% completion.

Let's see what they do against Wake. They are currently favored by 4, which goes against what many of you thought because you all had Wake higher. I think FSU covers and wins by at least 10.

I went the opposite ;-)

They may very well be free of Wetherford, which I have said makes them a better team, but Ponder is still basically a first year starter and Wake's defense is pretty good. Their corners are NFL ready and they should be able to keep it close. When the game is close, Wake wins.

Vader -- Husker did not have them in his top 30.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:57 pm

jayday wrote:

Lines and rankings are totally different. 3 of those points are because of home field advantage. This game is basically a toss up there and bookmakers have always loved the Noles.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football