Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:58 pm

jayday wrote:Lock of the week: FSU (-4) ;-)

Lock of the week: Florida (-7.5) @ Rocky Top

Florida has beaten Tennessee three straight years.

Urban Meyer coached teams are 23-4 when he has a week or more to prepare for an opponent.

Tennessee QB Jonathan Crompton didn't practice Monday or Tuesday because he was getting treatment for his injured ankle.

Tennessee has run for less than 100 yards the last three times they've played the Florida (Not less than 100 each time, less than 100 yards total in the last three meetings). Team that up with the fact that since 1990, only once has the team who has rushed for more yards one the Vols-Gator annual showdown and you have quite a statistic.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:59 pm

LOCK OF THE WEEK

Nebraska remains undefeated. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:10 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
jayday wrote:Lock of the week: FSU (-4) ;-)

Lock of the week: Florida (-7.5) @ Rocky Top

Florida has beaten Tennessee three straight years.

Urban Meyer coached teams are 23-4 when he has a week or more to prepare for an opponent.

Tennessee QB Jonathan Crompton didn't practice Monday or Tuesday because he was getting treatment for his injured ankle.

Tennessee has run for less than 100 yards the last three times they've played the Florida (Not less than 100 each time, less than 100 yards total in the last three meetings). Team that up with the fact that since 1990, only once has the team who has rushed for more yards one the Vols-Gator annual showdown and you have quite a statistic.

;-D ;-D

Posted that on another board I frequent because they were talking about trends.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:12 pm

So Hsk, these teams are all better then Ohio State?

21.Minnesota
22.TCU
23.Nebraska
24.Iowa
25.Oklahoma St
26.Air Force
27.Virginia Tech
28.Georgia Tech
29.Fresno State
30.California

Seriously? I mean I ranked them down at 16 due to the loss and poor play against Ohio but not in the Top 30? It's not like most of these teams didn't have bad losses themselves and certainly not against a team like USC. Wow.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Iowa where they are was really surprising. They are not very good IMO.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 pm

VaderFin wrote:So Hsk, these teams are all better then Ohio State?

21.Minnesota
22.TCU
23.Nebraska
24.Iowa
25.Oklahoma St
26.Air Force
27.Virginia Tech
28.Georgia Tech
29.Fresno State
30.California

Seriously? I mean I ranked them down at 16 due to the loss and poor play against Ohio but not in the Top 30? It's not like most of these teams didn't have bad losses themselves and certainly not against a team like USC. Wow.

Really this is the same discussion I just had with Knapp. If I removed the names of the teams and just had TeamA, TeamB, etc. and posted their results, would you still have an issue with my rankings?

Based on what I've seen from OSU so far against FBS competition, yes, I think any of those teams listed above could possibly beat them. If OSU performed the way that they've performed against any of those other teams, wouldn't you? Now, I do believe that OSU will pull their collective heads out and start playing up to their potential. When this happens, they will be rewarded accordingly in my rankings. We just suffer from different philosophies on how rankings should be conducted.

IMO, too many people suffer from the notion that OSU has to be better than all of these other teams because, 1. They have recruit better according to websites that rank such, 2. They were in the NC game the last 2 years and returned most from last years squad, 3. They're in a BCS conference. 4. They have a coach with an estabished winning record. IMO, none of that should take precedence over the actual results. I could make this same claim about how some rank other teams as well.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Having differences of opinion is what makes things fun but I think you are WAY out in left field here.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm liking Penn St. more and more each time I see them play. I really think they belong in that top 10, despite the weakness of their conference.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:32 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm liking Penn St. more and more each time I see them play. I really think they belong in that top 10, despite the weakness of their conference.

They certainly bear watching. They're not a bad team. We'll have to see if they continue their dominance. It does suck about their conference, but you never know - OSU could suddenly find themselves, Michigan could right their ship and/or Wisconsin/Illinois could rise up and become a contender.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:36 pm

knapplc wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm liking Penn St. more and more each time I see them play. I really think they belong in that top 10, despite the weakness of their conference.

They certainly bear watching. They're not a bad team. We'll have to see if they continue their dominance. It does suck about their conference, but you never know - OSU could suddenly find themselves, Michigan could right their ship and/or Wisconsin/Illinois could rise up and become a contender.

Wisconsin is a good football team. UM will not be good this season
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football