NFC now greater than AFC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFC now greater than AFC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby futanto » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:59 am

1. Pre-emminent AFC teams (aka: the colts and patriots) no longer appear elite after a long run at the top of the league. Steelers were consistently good as well over the same period and look strong this year, but were not quite at the level of those two elite teams.
2. An NFC team (Giants) won the last superbowl and still look solid (albeit at least depleted on paper)
3. Cowboys offense is a juggernaut, they are ranked #1 in every major websites power ranking, they look primed for a run to the superbowl and only the powers of a major choke-job will hold them back (3rd tries a charm for Romo?)
4. The eagles/McNabb look dominant as well
5. Mediocre NFC teams (based on the previous season) have beaten the supposedly elite AFC teams (Carolina over SD and Chicago over Indy).
6. Broncos look promising but were tested by a SD team that was 1) without merriman, 2) an effective LT, 3) lost to Chicago (NFC team), 4) Has not done anything in the playoffs
7. Jacksonville looks dissapointing
8. Titans look good but will not with the SB with collins/young this year(may make some noise in the playoffs)
9. The packers still look good without Favre
10. Well, NFC teams may round out the majority of the top 10.
Last edited by futanto on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futanto
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:16 pm

its still a little early for me to say whether the powers have shifted. as of now, it certainly looks like it.

but...i have no doubts that by the end of the season, the chargers and colts will have fixed the problems they currently have and will be ready to play in the playoffs.

the pats are a question mark without brady, but if cassel does even average the pats are still contenders.

the steelers will be in the thick of things. i think the broncos will be there. both teams look solid so far.

as it stands, i think the cowboys look the best in the league...GB looks like contenders as do the eagles. but the only one that i really separate out of these guys from the top AFC teams are the cowboys. like i said, with minimal roster differences...its hard for me to not think that the colts and chargers will be back in form soon.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:52 pm

the two leagues split the regular season last year, and the champion came from the NFC, that gives the slight edge to the NFC in my opinion.

I think it is too early to tell for now though.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigBlue2005 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:22 pm

I love how everybody puts the cowboys at number 1 and talks about the packers as if they are a top team just because they won 2 games against two 0-2 teams. Has everyone forgotten already who went into GB and beat the packers and who went into Dallas and beat the cowboys?

The Giants are the number one team in the NFL right now. They won 4 straight road games in the playoffs and everyone called them a fluke (how is 4 road wins a fluke?) and said there defense would be crap without Strahan and Osi. Unfortunately nobody pays attention to the fact that the Giants have the best defensive coordinator in the league and the defense is as good as ever.

The only thing I learned about the cowboys and eagles on monday night is that neither one has the elite defenses they were supposed to have. The eagles offense is nothing special take away Mcnabb and Westbook and you have nothing but rookies and nobodies on that teams offense and they still smoked the cowboys with their "revamped" defense.

The Giants are dominant on offense and defense and until Romo and the cowboys can put together a playoff win, the Giants are the number one team in the NFL.
BigBlue2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 pm

BigBlue2005 wrote:I love how everybody puts the cowboys at number 1 and talks about the packers as if they are a top team just because they won 2 games against two 0-2 teams. Has everyone forgotten already who went into GB and beat the packers and who went into Dallas and beat the cowboys?

The Giants are the number one team in the NFL right now. They won 4 straight road games in the playoffs and everyone called them a fluke (how is 4 road wins a fluke?) and said there defense would be crap without Strahan and Osi. Unfortunately nobody pays attention to the fact that the Giants have the best defensive coordinator in the league and the defense is as good as ever.

The Giants team that beat NE, GNB and DAL last year is no where near as good as the NYG team right now. The rankings are based on how good the team is right now, not 8 months ago (otherwise NE would still be ranked #1 even w/out Brady). The Giants have lost several key DEF players, including half of their sacks from last year. The NYG offense isn't even top 5. The only reason they rolled through everybody least year is because Eli played mistake free football. He's not great, or anywhere near Brady, Payton, Brees or Romo, but just had an amazing streak of games.

Also, I'd worry more about whether the Giants are going to make the playoffs (after DAL clinches the East and Philly claims a wildcard place), than where the NYG's are ranked.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:49 pm

BigBlue2005 wrote:I love how everybody puts the cowboys at number 1 and talks about the packers as if they are a top team just because they won 2 games against two 0-2 teams. Has everyone forgotten already who went into GB and beat the packers and who went into Dallas and beat the cowboys?

The only thing I learned about the cowboys and eagles on monday night is that neither one has the elite defenses they were supposed to have. The eagles offense is nothing special take away Mcnabb and Westbook and you have nothing but rookies and nobodies on that teams offense and they still smoked the cowboys with their "revamped" defense.

The Giants are dominant on offense and defense and until Romo and the cowboys can put together a playoff win, the Giants are the number one team in the NFL.

let me guess....giants fan? ....

im sorry, but regardless of their championship last season, i still dont regard them as the best team, even last season. they peaked at the right time and played well down the stretch, but i for one have a hard time believing they make it deep in the playoffs again.

its also ironic that you bring up these teams as only beating up on teams that are 0-2...
isnt that the same record the giants started off last season with? hmmmm....

the cowboys are put as #1 usually for a reason...because they are just that good.

and take away mcnabb and westbrook...? are you kidding me :-? ? how about you take away brady and moss, rivers and LT2, peyton and wayne, etc and tell me how good they would be too. the eagles can beat teams up with westbrook all day long, so they really have no need for other big play guys to have success on offense...which has been evident for quite some time now. they arent the freakin chiefs putting up 40 points on the cowboys defense, the eagles have a strong offensive unit.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Timbathia » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:18 am

I will admit that the NFC looks better at the top right now, with the boys, giants, pack and eagles all playing well, and the colts, pats and chargers falling over in the AFC - However, there is still a lot more junk in the NFC. The entire NFC west is a disgrace, as is half of the north and south. The AFC has a bunch of teams playing below themselves, but the overall average quality at the end of the year will be way better methinks (as long as the chiefs dont drag it down too far).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby footballsimp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 am

For the past few years I have not just thought but KNOWN the AFC was better. It was obvious. This year, as much as I hate to say it, I have to think the NFC is better.

The pats losing Brady, the Bolts losing Meriman, and the Colts not clicking really hurts the AFC.

Bengals suck, Jags suck. It's a bad year for the AFC.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 am

This post has alot of homerism in it :-D Sorry but what you did last years has no bearing on next years rankings, and it also has nothing to do with playoff wins...Its just ranking teams for right now, this year, its not even that serious as your making it out to be honestly, but lets not act like the Giants are as good without Strahan and Osi, those were arguably your two best players on last years defense that are gone.

But while were at it, how about we see some consistency from Eli Manning in the regular season before we get to annointing the Giants as #1, he was ready to throw that Washington game away before it was over, just like the old Eli were used to seeing.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 am

deluxe_247 wrote:
and take away mcnabb and westbrook...? are you kidding me :-? ? how about you take away brady and moss, rivers and LT2, peyton and wayne, etc and tell me how good they would be too. the eagles can beat teams up with westbrook all day long, so they really have no need for other big play guys to have success on offense...which has been evident for quite some time now. they arent the freakin chiefs putting up 40 points on the cowboys defense, the eagles have a strong offensive unit.

I was going to say the same thing. Yea, take away two of the most dynamic players in the league. Of course they will stink. and like it or lump it jackson seems like a weapon, and they are doing this without curtis and brown. Plus, both of those teams have offenses that are hard to stop. I was a bit disappointed in the Eagles' D, but their run d looks stout and not many teams are putting a stop to that Cowboys offense.

And like I said, yea, the NFC has some trash, but so does the NFC. The Conferences Split last year, so the change is coming. And whatever the merits of the Giants, they were the champions. And the NFC East is no doubt the strongest division in the game. It's sent three playoff teams two years in a row, and probably will again.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk