NFC now greater than AFC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

NFC now greater than AFC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:56 pm

Matthias wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:This list is subjective though, why is Philly an elite team, but Pittsburgh is just a good team?

Of course it's subjective. It's just my opinion (based, though, on the strength of the team, including their Offense & Defense to date).

I would put Philly over Steelers because I think Philly's offense is more better than Pittsburgh's O than Pittsburgh's defense is better than Philly's D.

My rule in making the list was that any team in a certain tier should be favored against any team in the tier beneath them and more or less pick 'em, go with the home team between teams of equal tiers. It's rough around the edges, but I feel pretty decent about the groupings; I feel like the spread on the games within tiers would all be within 4 or so. But if you think I placed any teams in the wrong tier based upon this logic, let's hear why. It definitely wasn't done scientifically.



I wasn't bashing the list, I was just trying to understand your reasoning for putting an undefeated team as good, and a team who lost a game as elite...Pitt has one of the best D's in the NFL currently and they consistently always do, and that offense is just as explosive as Philly, Big Ben, Holmes, Ward, Parker, you could argue that its better then the Philly offense actually, and their QB has a super bowl ring that Mcnabb doesn't have...I would either flip the two teams, or have them both as elite, I don't see any argument for not ranking Pitt as an elite team right now.


Granted its early, I just don't see anything that considers Philly elite while Pitt is good, but good thing about this argument is we get to see the results of these two teams tomm ;-D
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby moochman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:02 am

Matthias wrote:
Timbathia wrote:I will admit that the NFC looks better at the top right now, with the boys, giants, pack and eagles all playing well, and the colts, pats and chargers falling over in the AFC - However, there is still a lot more junk in the NFC. The entire NFC west is a disgrace, as is half of the north and south. The AFC has a bunch of teams playing below themselves, but the overall average quality at the end of the year will be way better methinks (as long as the chiefs dont drag it down too far).

I don't know about this; I think the OP is right.

Elite AFC teams:
Broncos

Good AFC teams:
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Chargers

Mediocre AFC teams:
Bills
Jets
Ravens
Jaguars
Titans

Bad AFC teams:
Dolphins
Raiders
Chiefs
Bengals
Browns
Texans

Elite NFC teams:
Cowboys
Eagles

Good NFC teams:
Giants
Packers
Panthers
Vikings
Bears

Mediocre NFC teams:
Redskins
Saints
Bucs
Falcons
Cardinals

Bad NFC teams:
49ers
Seahawks
Rams
Lions

So I guess it's not a huge edge, but I think if anything, what puts the NFC over the AFC is fewer really bad teams. And primary cogs in the teams on top of the AFC are getting older; they have to decline sometime.


I don't think the Browns, Texans and Bungals can be mentioned with the likes of the Lions. Same too the 9ers and SeaHacks. And there are no elite teams in the league this year. Not one. The Broncos and Cowboys Ds haven't played nearly well enough for them to be considered elite and the Iggles are just doing what they do-get off to a great start before fading. All teams have too many question marks to be considered elite. Just some contenders, pretenders, less thans, pond scum, and the Lions.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:08 am

moochman wrote:
I don't think the Browns, Texans and Bungals can be mentioned with the likes of the Lions. Same too the 9ers and SeaHacks. And there are no elite teams in the league this year. Not one. The Broncos and Cowboys Ds haven't played nearly well enough for them to be considered elite and the Iggles are just doing what they do-get off to a great start before fading. All teams have too many question marks to be considered elite. Just some contenders, pretenders, less thans, pond scum, and the Lions.


You do realize that the eagles finished STRONG last year, and the prior year they made the playoffs and won a game? You do realize that donovan is healthier than he has been in years? I don't think they have a trend of "starting strong, then fading" considering that the donovan/andy combo has missed the playoffs exactly twice this century, and one of those times was with an 8-8 record. If anything they are slow starters. I think its early to call them elite, I think they are just very solid. But I don't think you can take much from their D based on the Cowboys, as that O will be lighting up most everyone.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby moochman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:03 am

eaglesrule wrote:
moochman wrote:
I don't think the Browns, Texans and Bungals can be mentioned with the likes of the Lions. Same too the 9ers and SeaHacks. And there are no elite teams in the league this year. Not one. The Broncos and Cowboys Ds haven't played nearly well enough for them to be considered elite and the Iggles are just doing what they do-get off to a great start before fading. All teams have too many question marks to be considered elite. Just some contenders, pretenders, less thans, pond scum, and the Lions.


You do realize that the eagles finished STRONG last year, and the prior year they made the playoffs and won a game? You do realize that donovan is healthier than he has been in years? I don't think they have a trend of "starting strong, then fading" considering that the donovan/andy combo has missed the playoffs exactly twice this century, and one of those times was with an 8-8 record. If anything they are slow starters. I think its early to call them elite, I think they are just very solid. But I don't think you can take much from their D based on the Cowboys, as that O will be lighting up most everyone.


I'll give you they finished strong in '06, but last season they finished 3-3, in 05' they were 2-4. Given McNabb fragility and recent history it is no reach to think the odds favor them fading down the stretch.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:37 pm

it's not worth an argument really, as the season is in week three, but to people who watched the Eagles, they know they finished strong. You could say the finished 3-3, or you could say they won the last three games with mcnabb finally getting "back." And I know "when healthy" is always the rub with donovan, but when he is, the team is a very tough beat.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby Matthias » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:17 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Granted its early, I just don't see anything that considers Philly elite while Pitt is good, but good thing about this argument is we get to see the results of these two teams tomm ;-D

Well, that one is settled for now. And that was without Westbrook for most of the game.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Matthias wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Granted its early, I just don't see anything that considers Philly elite while Pitt is good, but good thing about this argument is we get to see the results of these two teams tomm ;-D

Well, that one is settled for now. And that was without Westbrook for most of the game.



It's not like that game was one sided, the home team won and barely, thats what you would expect out of two elite teams...My point was that i felt both teams were elite and I think if anything today showed that, Pitt's defense was just as strong and in the end the home team pulled it out...Same reasons you still called Philly elite for losing to Dallas, is the same reason I feel Pitt is still elite with their 1 loss, they just like Philly fought hard in their loss.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby Matthias » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:33 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Matthias wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Granted its early, I just don't see anything that considers Philly elite while Pitt is good, but good thing about this argument is we get to see the results of these two teams tomm ;-D

Well, that one is settled for now. And that was without Westbrook for most of the game.

It's not like that game was one sided, the home team won and barely, thats what you would expect out of two elite teams...My point was that i felt both teams were elite and I think if anything today showed that, Pitt's defense was just as strong and in the end the home team pulled it out...Same reasons you still called Philly elite for losing to Dallas, is the same reason I feel Pitt is still elite with their 1 loss, they just like Philly fought hard in their loss.

If you say so. I watched the game and thought the game was not as close as the 9 points it ended up being decided by (which isn't that close). Also the Eagles were without Westbrook, who is half of their offense, for three quarters.

They both had great defenses today, but the Eagles offense, well, basically McNabb, is just a cut above Pittsburgh's.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby Timbathia » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:45 pm

And now the Bengals almost took down the Giants - this obviously means that the AFC is better right, since one of its worst teams was essentially as good as one the NFC's best?
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 975
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Geelong, Australia

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby Ek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:34 pm

It's too tricky to base too much off of one or two games for any given team. Given the "any given Sunday" nature of the NFL, by week 5 you'd be able to prove that any team with at least one win (or even close loss) is better than any team with at least one loss using this method. The only truly fair and objective ways to compare the conferences are the head-to-head regular season record and the Super Bowl (which itself isn't even ideal since it doesn't measure the middle and bottom of each conference against each other). The Pro Bowl is a joke, so that doesn't count.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 706
Joined: 11 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: West Chicago, IL

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:35 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact