NFC now greater than AFC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFC now greater than AFC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NFC now greater than AFC?

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:59 am

That game was not as close as the score indicated at all -- the Eagles left points on the board, which you can't really say the same for Pitt -- their 6 game off of Philly turnovers. The Eagles defense was out of hand that game. Parker did squat, they sacked the crap out of Big Ben, and when they weren't sacking him, they were getting turnovers and knocking him down. The Eagles couldn't move it in the secon dhalf either, but in the first half the eagles were moving it on Pitt. All game Pitt had fits. It was nerve racking, but when the game comes down to FG, Onsidekick, Try for desperation TD as the strategy you should take, you weren't really close, because that sequence is unlikely, so 9 points isn't that close really.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:04 am

eaglesrule wrote:That game was not as close as the score indicated at all -- the Eagles left points on the board, which you can't really say the same for Pitt -- their 6 game off of Philly turnovers. The Eagles defense was out of hand that game. Parker did squat, they sacked the crap out of Big Ben, and when they weren't sacking him, they were getting turnovers and knocking him down. The Eagles couldn't move it in the secon dhalf either, but in the first half the eagles were moving it on Pitt. All game Pitt had fits. It was nerve racking, but when the game comes down to FG, Onsidekick, Try for desperation TD as the strategy you should take, you weren't really close, because that sequence is unlikely, so 9 points isn't that close really.

You could say that for alot of teams, but it was 10-6 late in the game, regardless of people saying "it wasn't as close as the score indicated" it was a 4 point game late...I could say the same thing about the Cowboys in how they gave Philly 7 of those points in the endzone and shot themselves in the foot which kept Philly in the game...What's wrong with giving a team props? This was a slugfest with 2 great defenses, the home team won as they should, but it's not like Philly ran away with this game on both sides of the field like they did vs the Rams.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Matthias » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 am

LS2throwed wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:That game was not as close as the score indicated at all -- the Eagles left points on the board, which you can't really say the same for Pitt -- their 6 game off of Philly turnovers. The Eagles defense was out of hand that game. Parker did squat, they sacked the crap out of Big Ben, and when they weren't sacking him, they were getting turnovers and knocking him down. The Eagles couldn't move it in the secon dhalf either, but in the first half the eagles were moving it on Pitt. All game Pitt had fits. It was nerve racking, but when the game comes down to FG, Onsidekick, Try for desperation TD as the strategy you should take, you weren't really close, because that sequence is unlikely, so 9 points isn't that close really.

You could say that for alot of teams, but it was 10-6 late in the game, regardless of people saying "it wasn't as close as the score indicated" it was a 4 point game late...I could say the same thing about the Cowboys in how they gave Philly 7 of those points in the endzone and shot themselves in the foot which kept Philly in the game...What's wrong with giving a team props? This was a slugfest with 2 great defenses, the home team won as they should, but it's not like Philly ran away with this game on both sides of the field like they did vs the Rams.

Because ultimately I don't care about final results. If I did, then I'd have to say that Cincinnati is almost as good of a team as the Giants are which they're clearly not.

I thought the Eagles were a team a notch above the Steelers; they played a notch above the Steelers; I see no reason to change my view. If Philly had run away with this game on both sides of the ball then they wouldn't be a notch above, they'd be several notches above. Eagles > Steelers > Rams; I don't get what's so wrong about saying that the Steelers are a good team, one of the top teams in the AFC, but if they played the Eagles 10 times this season, they'd lose 7 of them.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:41 am

What props would I be giving the steelers? I'm not trying to be a homer here, but they ran for 33 yards, and that is their game. Big Ben didn't do much

BTW, philly also shot themselves in the foot that game (Cowboys) as well. I know you could say anything you want about anything, but the fact of the matter is, Philly's D dominated the heck out of those steelers, you can't explain that away. And they didn't have westbrook for 3 quarters. Considering the physical, close game is the benchmark of the steelers, not the eagles, and the eagles d handed it to them, I don't really see how you can explain it away, they were all over Big Ben. All over them defensively to the point that Timlin decided to go for it then, as he even admitted they weren't moving the ball at all that day.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Matthias wrote:Because ultimately I don't care about final results. If I did, then I'd have to say that Cincinnati is almost as good of a team as the Giants are which they're clearly not.

I thought the Eagles were a team a notch above the Steelers; they played a notch above the Steelers; I see no reason to change my view. If Philly had run away with this game on both sides of the ball then they wouldn't be a notch above, they'd be several notches above. Eagles > Steelers > Rams; I don't get what's so wrong about saying that the Steelers are a good team, one of the top teams in the AFC, but if they played the Eagles 10 times this season, they'd lose 7 of them.

Well again now were confusing the facts with your opinion, and thats fine, but like I said earlier somebody had to win the game, and ultimately the home team won...it was a 10-6 game late in the 4th, I am not worried about all the "what ifs" and occurences that happened during the game because it was a one possesion game until late, Pitt was on the road facing a team coming off a loss and fought hard like you would expect an elite team to do.

I'm not arguing against Philly, I just believe Pitt is also an elite team, I don't think the result of this games makes me believe otherwise contrary to what you guys got out of the game...I do believe the NFC as a whole is better then the AFC though.

Philly won yes, you can eve say their the better team, or they DOMINATED and THRASHED the lowly Steeleers, but personally I feel both are elite teams that will make the playoffs, you guys can go back and forth over semantics all you want.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:16 pm

i watched the eagles/steelers game and to me it didnt feel like a close game. the eagles dominated it from start to finish. usually that is reflected in the final score, sometimes its not....this is one of those times. i do think the steelers are the team to beat in the afc north, but the eagles, in my mind, are clearly better right now. the fact they did it without westbrook is also impressive.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigBlue2005 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:27 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
BigBlue2005 wrote:I love how everybody puts the cowboys at number 1 and talks about the packers as if they are a top team just because they won 2 games against two 0-2 teams. Has everyone forgotten already who went into GB and beat the packers and who went into Dallas and beat the cowboys?

The Giants are the number one team in the NFL right now. They won 4 straight road games in the playoffs and everyone called them a fluke (how is 4 road wins a fluke?) and said there defense would be crap without Strahan and Osi. Unfortunately nobody pays attention to the fact that the Giants have the best defensive coordinator in the league and the defense is as good as ever.

The only thing I learned about the cowboys and eagles on monday night is that neither one has the elite defenses they were supposed to have. The eagles offense is nothing special take away Mcnabb and Westbook and you have nothing but rookies and nobodies on that teams offense and they still smoked the cowboys with their "revamped" defense.

The Giants are dominant on offense and defense and until Romo and the cowboys can put together a playoff win, the Giants are the number one team in the NFL.

This post has alot of homerism in it :-D Sorry but what you did last years has no bearing on next years rankings, and it also has nothing to do with playoff wins...Its just ranking teams for right now, this year, its not even that serious as your making it out to be honestly, but lets not act like the Giants are as good without Strahan and Osi, those were arguably your two best players on last years defense that are gone.

But while were at it, how about we see some consistency from Eli Manning in the regular season before we get to annointing the Giants as #1, he was ready to throw that Washington game away before it was over, just like the old Eli were used to seeing.

What a difference 5 weeks make. Giants are ranked #1 in total offense and #3 in total defense. Like I said before, Giants are the best team in the NFL. I'm not a homer, you and most of the fans in the NFL just disrespect the Giants and anoint teams like the Cowboys who haven't won a playoff game in 12 years as the top team in the NFC East.

Every year it's the same bs. The Skins, the Eagles, the Cowboys, they are always picked over the Giants. Funny thing is all 3 of those teams get all the hype year in and year out and the only team to actually do anything is the Giants. That's what you call irony.
BigBlue2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:45 pm

BigBlue2005 wrote:What a difference 5 weeks make. Giants are ranked #1 in total offense and #3 in total defense.

Who has the NYG played that makes people think they're for real? #1 Offense and #3 Defense against who? I'll give you WAS is a good team, but J. Campbell has been getting better every week. Week 1, he didn't looked good, and that's because he's learning the new offense (quickly).

Was - #6 offense, #13 DEF
@STL - #30 offense, #31 DEF
CIN - #31 offense, #19 DEF
Bye
SEA - #22 offense, #27 DEF

Opponents record: 5-13, and 4 of those wins belong to WAS. There really is not dominate team in the NFL. This is what the salary cap does to ya. If I had to chose right now:

1. TEN
2. WAS
3. DAL
4. PIT
5. NYG
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigBlue2005 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:48 pm

woodson_28 wrote:
BigBlue2005 wrote:What a difference 5 weeks make. Giants are ranked #1 in total offense and #3 in total defense.

Who has the NYG played that makes people think they're for real? #1 Offense and #3 Defense against who? I'll give you WAS is a good team, but J. Campbell has been getting better every week. Week 1, he didn't looked good, and that's because he's learning the new offense (quickly).

Was - #6 offense, #13 DEF
@STL - #30 offense, #31 DEF
CIN - #31 offense, #19 DEF
Bye
SEA - #22 offense, #27 DEF

Opponents record: 5-13, and 4 of those wins belong to WAS. There really is not dominate team in the NFL. This is what the salary cap does to ya. If I had to chose right now:

1. TEN
2. WAS
3. DAL
4. PIT
5. NYG

I love this. It's like either way nothing matters. So the other guy says last year doesn't matter and beating the Cowboys, Bucs, Packers, and Patriots all on the road was a "fluke" and now that the Giants are 4-0 this year, the excuse is the teams were no good.

Why make excuses? Just come out and say it. No matter what the Giants do they are disrespected. When they beat good teams it's a fluke, when they beat bad teams then it's an easy schedule. What a joke.

Lets take a look at the teams the titans beat.

The 2-3 Jaguars who they scrape by against with a 17-10 win.

The 0-5 Bengals

The 0-4 Texans

The 2-3 Vikings

The 2-2 Ravens

For an amazing 6-17 record. And ranked a pathetic 25h in offense and 5th in defense. Amazing! They didn't win the superbowl last year but they beat 5 teams with a whole 6 wins combined and suddenly they are crowned number 1.
BigBlue2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ivesaidway2much » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 am

BigBlue2005 wrote:I love this. It's like either way nothing matters. So the other guy says last year doesn't matter and beating the Cowboys, Bucs, Packers, and Patriots all on the road was a "fluke" and now that the Giants are 4-0 this year, the excuse is the teams were no good.

Why make excuses? Just come out and say it. No matter what the Giants do they are disrespected. When they beat good teams it's a fluke, when they beat bad teams then it's an easy schedule. What a joke.

Lets take a look at the teams the titans beat.

The 2-3 Jaguars who they scrape by against with a 17-10 win.

The 0-5 Bengals

The 0-4 Texans

The 2-3 Vikings

The 2-2 Ravens

For an amazing 6-17 record. And ranked a pathetic 25h in offense and 5th in defense. Amazing! They didn't win the superbowl last year but they beat 5 teams with a whole 6 wins combined and suddenly they are crowned number 1.
Don't worry about it BigBlue2005. This is the same board that had a very popular thread last year proclaiming that the Giants would NEVER win a Superbowl with Eli as QB. Old habits die hard.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk