Worst GM in the league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worst GM in the league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Worst GM in the league?

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:57 pm

justinj312 wrote:start drafting offensive and defensive lineman and work your way out...

I though PHI might be interested in Roy Williams after this year, but I think that is becoming less of a possibility. Maybe for a 2nd rounder, but not a 1st.

Hence the problem... the guy leading the drafting is incapable of drafting talented players. He drafted Alamaika-Francis (spelling?) in the 2nd rd last yr and he still hasent dressed for the Lions this yr. They kept 11 DLinemen and their 2nd rd draft pick in 2007 is so piss poor he doesnt even dress. This is thedepth of ineptitude we are talking about here.

No way Roy goes for a 1st rd pick, so realistically if Millen goes and gets a 2nd rd pick for him for this next draft, why would that mean anything to Lions fans? The last time a 2nd rd pick was any good at all for the Lions was fatboy Rogers in 2003 - thats 5 years of not drafting one NFL quality player in the 2nd rd for Millen.

Fire Millen - then rebuild. Its literally the only way.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:58 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
justinj312 wrote:start drafting offensive and defensive lineman and work your way out...

I though PHI might be interested in Roy Williams after this year, but I think that is becoming less of a possibility. Maybe for a 2nd rounder, but not a 1st.

Hence the problem... the guy leading the drafting is incapable of drafting talented players. He drafted Alamaika-Francis (spelling?) in the 2nd rd last yr and he still hasent dressed for the Lions this yr. They kept 11 DLinemen and their 2nd rd draft pick in 2007 is so piss poor he doesnt even dress. This is thedepth of ineptitude we are talking about here.

No way Roy goes for a 1st rd pick, so realistically if Millen goes and gets a 2nd rd pick for him for this next draft, why would that mean anything to Lions fans? The last time a 2nd rd pick was any good at all for the Lions was fatboy Rogers in 2003 - thats 5 years of not drafting one NFL quality player in the 2nd rd for Millen.

Fire Millen - then rebuild. Its literally the only way.

now let's be fair CBM...he played on special teams, they just didnt play him at MLB like they planned because the Packers rotate players so often it would be too complex for little DUIzon to make the calls (i seriously read this...how is the guy supposed to learn? do they give him a quiz in the filmroom after the game?)

The Lions have to be the only team in the NFL that takes projects with their 2nd round picks (Edwards, Francis, Stanton, DUIzon, Cody...well, he just sucked). am i the only one that thinks your 2nd round pick should be a player that can come in and start for you (unless your a playoff caliber team and can afford to just take the BPA)

Fire Millen, the whole scouting staff and NimRod, trade anyone not named Calvin Johnson for anything you can get and start over (and just draft O-Line and D-Line for a few years)

P.S. pretty sure another Top 5 pick is going to put the Lions in Salary Cap Hell as well, with the money they have tied up in CJ2, Roy (assuming they franchise him), Cory Redding :-P :-P :-P and Jeff Backus (seriously...this guy is a bottom 3rd LT at best). not 100% but i'm sure there are some bad contracts we're still paying on too (BMW???)

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:41 am

Is this really a discussion :-?

ampant wrote:I actually think Al "Crypt Keeper" Davis is worse than Millen.

Dude drafter a kicker . . . . A KICKER in the 1st round.

The problem is...that kicker is still playing for Oak. How many of the players Millen drafted are still playing? Stop me when you heard enough:
Mike Williams
Charles Rodgers
Joey Harrington
Kalimba Edwards
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 am

dream_017 wrote:Is this really a discussion :-?

The problem is...that kicker is still playing for Oak. How many of the players Millen drafted are still playing? Stop me when you heard enough:
Mike Williams
Charles Rodgers
Joey Harrington
Kalimba Edwards

what's even sadder is aside from Edwards none of them are even in the league anymore
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Berge20 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am

This whole discussion is just making me depressed
Berge20
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 am

10. Detroit Lions - Mike Williams*, WR USC

11. Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware*, DE/OLB Troy State

12. San Diego Chargers (from NY Giants) - Shawne Merriman*, DE/OLB Maryland

13. New Orleans Saints (from Houston)- Jamaal Brown, OT Oklahoma

14. Carolina Panthers - Thomas Davis*, S/OLB Georgia

15. Kansas City Chiefs - Derrick Johnson, LB Texas

Sad thing is they didn't even need Mike Williams this year, and not only did they take another WR in the top 10 with other needs, they passed up some immensely talented players all of which they would love to have...This is why I think Lions fans are some of best fans in the league, anytime you can put up with ownership like they have for year after year its got to be frustrating as a fan, but they still stick by their team which is more then you can say for alot of fans...Sadly this is like a never ending cycle, Matt Millen has no business being in charge of an NFL franchise, it's like their a lock for a top 10 pick year in and out and never improve but hey, at least their always fun to play with on Madden ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:28 am

Mike Williams
Charles Rodgers
Joey Harrington
Kalimba Edwards

Millen is the worst and this post proves it with all of those names.

I still can't get over that Charles Rodgers pick a few years ago. Anyone remember the receiver that Millen passed on to get Rodgers? Andre Johnson! Johnson that year was by far the superior receiver. Every scout said it, every expert said it, but apparently Millen didn't think so and passed him up. That is the frustrating thing about Millen. Sometimes GMs can actually have unlicky picks where a they draft a guy and then he gets hurt, but Millen's mistakes are typically reaching for guys that he could wait on or drafting a guy when the superior guy is still on the board. Well at least he did well with Sims, Roy Williams and CJ.

Al Davis sucks now, but the guy was a genius a decade ago so for that reason alone I keep him off my list of worst GMs. It sucks to see the Raiders floundering right now, but I do think they are actually going to get better.

Mike Brown is the worst GM after Millen for me. How he can have so much talent and still manage to have a suckfest for a Defense and Offensive line. Seriously, that offense has been stable for years now. Chad Johnson, T.J and Palmer have been around for a couple years. Just no excuse to be this bad when you have that caliber of player at the skill positions.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:33 pm

In all fairness, Millen deserves to be blasted for the Mike Williams pick but the Charles Rogers pick at the time was not a bad pick at all...He was a highly touted prospect who was an absolute beast in college, and the hometown guy...Most draft grades gave Detroit an A for that draft and considered Rogers a lock to be an elite WR along with AJ, both guys were clearly the top 2 WR's and elite prospects, they might of swung and missed and hindsight is 20/20 but injuries derailed Rogers career before it could take off...They were probably interchangeable at draft time, and depending who you asked some had someone else rated higher, so while that pick was a huge bust for a #2 pick at the time it wasn't really a bad pick.

The MW pick was bad at the time, they never needed a WR, he was out of football for an entire year, and they had alot of other needs at the time...MW wasn't even the prospect Rogers was, at least Rogers had 4.28 speed, prototype size at 6'3 200+ lbs, college production to boot, his final 2 years he had over 1200 yds and 12 TD's, as well as being in the state of Detroit...I can't blame Millen for that one, it was just his affection for WR's that took off after this year that spiraled out of control.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

Mike Williams
Charles Rodgers
Joey Harrington
Kalimba Edwards

what's even sadder is aside from Edwards none of them are even in the league anymore

Harrington is on the Ravens ;-) ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Al Davis (not really even a GM) - he can't get fired, therefore he is the worst
---
---
---
Matt Millen
---
---
---
Vinny Cerrato - I've always thought this guy has zero football knowledge and his trades and draft picks show it.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk