Speculative watch list for the deep deep dynasty league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Speculative watch list for the deep deep dynasty league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Speculative watch list for the deep deep dynasty league

Postby mh34444 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

How about those guys sitting deep in the depth charts bound to make an impression in the next season, or two, or three? I'm thinking of those guys waiting out the retirement or free agency of elite players. The unheard ofs nobody is talking about right now but may be the topic of conversation down the road. In our 8 team dynasty league we operate a 40 man roster. Balanced scoring + PPR. Carrying 10-14 RB's and a few more WR's makes for excellent depth, but that tier 9 past his prime WR will never see time on your starting roster.

My example - A guy at the top of my watch list...Anybody else have any?

Pierre Garcon, WR, Colts
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/pierre-garcon?id=2346
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4945

Background
2008 6th round draft pick from Division III Mount Union. 11th fastest 40 yard dash at 4.48. 6th fastest 20 yard shuttle at 4.19.

NFL.com draft analysis
Positives: Adequate size, larger than most small-school prospects. ... Long limbs. ... Accelerates well and is also a strong runner after the catch. ... Blows by defenders at the Division III level. ... Good speed and quickness. ... Used on bubble screens and shallow crossing routes to get the ball in his hands early. ... Also a deep threat, able to adjust to the ball in the air. ... Good hands on punt and kickoff returns. ... Can get upfield quickly and shows a burst to hit the hole hard.

Negatives: Will need to prove he can be mentally and physically strong enough to handle NFL defenses. ... Creating separation may be an issue at the next level. ... Inconsistent effort and success in downfield blocking. ... Not challenged on the line very much, may struggle to beat jam. ... Will dance a bit on returns.

My take
Garcon is owned in less than 1/2 of 1% of the leagues. The Colts will continue to have a nasty passing game for many years to come. Garcon currently ranks #4 on the Colts WR depth chart just ahead of Roy Hall. With Marvin Harrison coming into the final few seasons of his career, and more recently on the injury report, I think we could see Garcon slip into the #3 slot. Gonzalez performed well in the Colts slot, as did Brandon Stokely. It sounds like Garcon needs some serious polishing to excel at the NFL level, but what better situation to be in than the Colts system---heavy passing, elite talent to learn from. Personally I'd rather speculate on a #4 guy on an excellent team, than a #3 guy on a terrible one.

There are a few other small college guys you might have heard of that made names for themselves in the NFL, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice.
mh34444
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Speculative watch list for the deep deep dynasty league

Postby mikus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:52 pm

Adrian Arrington. ;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:36 pm

mikus wrote:Adrian Arrington. ;-D

...and speakin' of Wolverines, Steve Breaston, especially if Boldin walks at the end of this season! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:33 pm

I like Greg Jones, RB, JAX

Fred Taylor is near an end. Jones gets talk every off-season from coaches, but because of such skilled backs around him there isn't enough touches. He is finally healed coming off an ACL injuried, which before looked prime to be the starting back in JAX. He is 27, with little miles on his legs. They showed they can use him in the passing game, as he caught a a TD in week 1.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby tclangham » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:16 pm

NYJ - WR - David Clowney and Chansi Stuckey

One or both of these guys will join Jericho Cotchery in building a good young reciving corp in the future. They just need to get a QB who isn't 38yrs old.
10 Team $ Keeper League - Jockey Full of Tim Tebow - (5-4)
QB - 2RB - 1Flex - 2WR - TE - D/ST - K

QB- Luck
RB - Alf, L. Bell, Jackson
WR - Marshall, Allen
TE - Gates
D/ST - Dolphins
K - Vinatieri

Fantasy Football Cafe - Survivalist League - tclangham
tclangham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 29)

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Big fan of Arrington, nice call.

Most sleepers are going to be WR's. Tought o find that breakout gem for a RB.

Mike Walker, WR, JAX - Has the talent, size. Not sure if it is just some bad luck with injuries at the wrong time or if he may not be NFL caliber. I thought he would be at least a WR3 by now.

Garcon is interesting and you can add Roy Hall in there as well.

Don't be shocked if Marcus Thomas gets some time when Detroit is too far gone.

One of my personal favs is Colt Brennan. All kinds of knocks coming out of college but I watched him and think that he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. MAy never be the Manning or Brady but can certainly have a successful career if given the right opportunity.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:32 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I like Greg Jones, RB, JAX

Fred Taylor is near an end. Jones gets talk every off-season from coaches, but because of such skilled backs around him there isn't enough touches. He is finally healed coming off an ACL injuried, which before looked prime to be the starting back in JAX. He is 27, with little miles on his legs. They showed they can use him in the passing game, as he caught a a TD in week 1.

I don't see Jones moving from the FB position - I'd rather go with Chauncey Washington in a dynasty, looked decent in pre-season both running and catching the ball.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 am

Lavelle Hawkins definately ;-D

I drafted this guy in as many dynasty leagues as I could, most people steered clear due to VY at QB and the mess at WR, but he is a playmaker with the ball in his hands and flashed a little bit of that ability in the pre-season with a long TD in his first game...Titans are very high on this guy and ironically drafted him with the pick they got from the Cowboys for Adam Jones, either way Roydell was cut and they kept Hawkins, he also has a skill set that differs from that of Gage or Jones...He is explosive, can get deep, and runs great routes, he was overshadowed at Cal by Desean Jackson but was just as talented, then this news from Roto:

According to the Nashville Tennessean, WR Lavelle Hawkins "continues to become a bigger part of the offense" while Justin Gage misses practice.
Now recovered from a preseason ankle injury, the rookie is no sure bet for fantasy production this season. He should, however, be on Dynasty leaguers' radars considering the woeful options ahead of him on the depth chart.
Source: Nashville Tennessean

He is probably available in most dynasty leagues, but I suggest people start giving him some attention, he is looking to make an impact sooner then I thought but next year I think he takes over a starting job for sure...I have no problem waiting for that to happen.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mh34444 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:44 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Lavelle Hawkins definately ;-D

Excellent insight. I have to admit I steered clear of anything TEN this season (except Chris Johnson) for the same reasons. I didn't have anything TEN on my watch list until now.
mh34444
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby King Tim » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Kregg Lumpkin, RB, Green Bay

The undrafted rookie out of Georgia impressed me more than Brandon Jackson last week in limited role. If Grant's hammy keeps him out for any significant time this year, it wouldn't suprise me if Lumpkin goes off like Grant did last year.
Chris Mortensen: You can make a case for both QBs (Marino @ Elway) when talking about the "greatest ever", but in terms of just physical talent, John Elway was hands-down the most gifted quarterback who has ever played football.
King Tim
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk