Matchups or stars? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Matchups or stars?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matchups or stars?

Postby sutton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Scott,

New to Fantasy Football and surprised at how addicted I am already. Must be because my Yankees are headed nowhere...

Need some advice for this week and going forward:

Do you stick with your first line starters or play the match-ups each week?

For example, CJ in Cincy has yet to do anything and they are playing the Giants, or go with Driver against the Boys Sunday night.

I have E. James as a starting RB going against a stiffer Washington run D, or play the match-up and look for Denver's Pittman to get goal line shots against a weak Saints run D?

It seems that this is an everyweek part of FF and I don't have a feel for it at all. Any advice?

Chris in Raleigh
sutton
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matchups or stars?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:13 am

sutton wrote:Scott,

New to Fantasy Football and surprised at how addicted I am already. Must be because my Yankees are headed nowhere...

Need some advice for this week and going forward:

Do you stick with your first line starters or play the match-ups each week?

For example, CJ in Cincy has yet to do anything and they are playing the Giants, or go with Driver against the Boys Sunday night.

I have E. James as a starting RB going against a stiffer Washington run D, or play the match-up and look for Denver's Pittman to get goal line shots against a weak Saints run D?

It seems that this is an everyweek part of FF and I don't have a feel for it at all. Any advice?

Chris in Raleigh

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

Very good question and something that fantasy vets struggle with every week. It's not easy. I usually start the season playing my stars. You drafted these players high because before the season started you thought these guys were the best available players at their position. After 1-2 weeks you'll have a better idea of who's playing well & which defenses are playing well. That's when you really have to start playing the matchups each week IMO. That's the part that's really addicting to me. Setting my lineups each week, trying to guess who will have the better game on Sunday (or Monday). You can literally drive yourself crazy thinking about it. You'll also notice that in start/sit questions...it's almost never unanimous. Everyone has different opinions and that's another thing that makes FF so great and addicting. The most knowledgeable and experienced owners make bad start/sit decisions on an almost weekly basis. It's frustratingly addictive for sure. The best thing to do is just live & breath football. Staying up to date is really important and will make your decisions seem a little easier. ;-D

As far as your specific questions:

I think I'd bench CJ in favor of Driver this week. Like you said, CJ & Cincy haven't done anything this year. The Giants D has played really well so far. On the other hand, Rodgers & GB are hot. Dallas just gave up 37 points on Monday night to Philly, but also scored 41 so they're hot. That game could/should be a shootout.

I'd start Edge over Pittman for sure. I'll always start a full-time starter like Edge over a guy that might get the goalline carries. Reason? Edge will get a lot more carries, which gives you a better chance to get more points.

Now here's the best part. CJ & Pittman could easily outscore Driver & Edge. So even though everything I just said makes a LOT of sense to me...my logic could end up being 100% wrong. THAT'S what makes this game I love so much so addictive. You never know and every week you have a chance to win against any team. ;-D

I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum