Who makes the CBS "Guru" rankings?? He is drunk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who makes the CBS "Guru" rankings?? He is drunk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who makes the CBS "Guru" rankings?? He is drunk

Postby Bronco_7 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Housh as listed as a 14 rating while Driver is a 5????
Housh is a 14 and Wayne is 15?? Who the heck makes these ratings anyway??
Sig GoodStash

12 team
QBs Roethlisberger, Kapernik
RBs Doug Martin, D Thomas, Bryce Brown
WRs C Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Garcon
TE Gates
K Vinatiari
DST Jets, Cards
Bronco_7
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who makes the CBS "Guru" rankings?? He is drunk

Postby Kostas- » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:39 pm

They are usually pretty bad in the beginning of the season. They should start to settle down and become more realistic as the season goes on.
Kostas-
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 pm

I don't know, but if you go to cbssports.com fantasy football, you'll see that for Week 3 they have Housh at like 11th and Driver way down at like 43rd or somesuch. Wayne is 8th.

My suspicion is that someone at CBS uses the wrong kind of averaging on the Gurus' picks, resulting in bad numbers. To give an example of how this could happen, Joe picks TO at 1, Harry picks TO at 3rd, and Sam (a Dallas hater) picks TO at 14th. That gets averaged to 1+3+14=18/3 and TO gets ranked at 6th, when 2 out of 3 people had him in the top 3.

I like it when they show how each "expert" picked.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:01 am

DraftDodger wrote:I don't know, but if you go to cbssports.com fantasy football, you'll see that for Week 3 they have Housh at like 11th and Driver way down at like 43rd or somesuch. Wayne is 8th.

My suspicion is that someone at CBS uses the wrong kind of averaging on the Gurus' picks, resulting in bad numbers. To give an example of how this could happen, Joe picks TO at 1, Harry picks TO at 3rd, and Sam (a Dallas hater) picks TO at 14th. That gets averaged to 1+3+14=18/3 and TO gets ranked at 6th, when 2 out of 3 people had him in the top 3.

I like it when they show how each "expert" picked.

he's talking about their projected points...not sure how they come up with it but i'm sure it's just some basic formula
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:37 am

They are very bad...and pretty much all year.

Last week I was a 31 point underdog.....and I won by 8 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 pm

It's always easy to throw stones; you guys come up with your own point projections for your game (not the entire NFL like they do, but just your game) and see how you compare on an absolute value difference between your projections and actual vs. Sportsline's. If you beat them even two weeks in a row, then come back and gripe.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:32 pm

Matthias wrote:It's always easy to throw stones; you guys come up with your own point projections for your game (not the entire NFL like they do, but just your game) and see how you compare on an absolute value difference between your projections and actual vs. Sportsline's. If you beat them even two weeks in a row, then come back and gripe.

If I was no good at them, you know what...I wouldn't put anything. They are the ones putting them out there, and they are horrible, I'd rather not have them.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby RayRe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Wait i might not win even though im a 35 point favorite! oh noes. :~(
Bulger
Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis
Brandon Marshall, Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin
John Carlson
Nate Kaeding
Giants
RayRe
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:45 am

dream_017 wrote:
Matthias wrote:It's always easy to throw stones; you guys come up with your own point projections for your game (not the entire NFL like they do, but just your game) and see how you compare on an absolute value difference between your projections and actual vs. Sportsline's. If you beat them even two weeks in a row, then come back and gripe.

If I was no good at them, you know what...I wouldn't put anything. They are the ones putting them out there, and they are horrible, I'd rather not have them.

Then don't look at them.

Hector & Victor do the same thing with I don't know what accuracy; the Fox NFL guys do predictions on the games on Sunday even though they rarely get more than 50% right; and Albert Pujols continue to try to play baseball despite the fact that he succeeds only about 1/3 of the time at his job.

Seriously, if you guys think they're awful, try to do better than them.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biju » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:06 pm

And the answer is... nobody does them.

Just looking at the numbers I can already tell you they do this via a program that takes the player's average over the season, factors in some sort of multiplier based on the opposing team's defense, uses a second multiplier to take into account any person injury (note, not injury based on other factors such as QB for WRs or O-line for RBs) and spits out a number. That's the only reason to have those numbers the way they do and why they are likely useless at the beginning of the season and will probably get a little more accurate at the end of the year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk