Goodell cracking down on cheap shots - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Goodell cracking down on cheap shots

Moderator: Football Moderators

Goodell cracking down on cheap shots

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 am

There's nothing wrong with a hard hit as long as it's clean, but there's definitely a small minority who cross the line and are just plain dirty. With all the evidence that has come to light regarding former players suffering from mild to serious mental disorders from all the shots to the head and concussions, I think this is a good thing and will not affect the majority of players who play within the rules and hit hard but clean. Cheap-shot artists need to be singled out for their behaviour.

Adam Schefter
Goodell getting tough on illegal hits
Posted: September 18th, 2008

Roger Goodell, the NFL’s law-and-order commissioner, is ordering his players to watch their conduct on the field as well as off it.

Goodell is mandating that all coaches and players do everything within their power to protect players from unnecessary injury — or harsh penalties will be imposed.

He even went so far as to instruct all team executives, coaches and general managers to read or distribute a memo from him to every player on their team Thursday. Once the memo has been fully absorbed, he asked teams to report back to NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson to let him know the message has been delivered.

The memo comes during a week in which Goodell suspended Buccaneers cornerback Elbert Mack one game for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Atlanta rookie quarterback Matt Ryan. While Mack is appealing the suspension, Goodell is appealing to all players to be more careful.

In the memo, emailed Thursday, Goodell wrote: “Player safety on the field is important to all of us in the NFL. Football is a tough game and we need to do everything possible to protect all players — offense, defense, and special teams — from unnecessary injury caused by illegal and dangerous hits. From this point forward, you should be clear on the following point: Any conduct that unnecessarily risks the safety of other players has no role in the game of football and will be disciplined at increased levels, including on a first offense. Playing by the rules shows respect for your fellow players. No one wants to see unnecessary injuries. Let’s have a safe and exciting 2008 season.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Goodell cracking down on cheap shots

Postby dream_017 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:07 am

Very touchy issue.

Some hits may look like a cheap shot and are not intentional, while others may not be intentional and end up looking like a cheap shot
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:45 pm

OK...

Over or Under:

3 years and everybody is wearing flags around their waist. That or maybe two hand touch.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:18 pm

dream_017 wrote:Very touchy issue.

Some hits may look like a cheap shot and are not intentional, while others may not be intentional and end up looking like a cheap shot

Agreed, but I assume the players will continue to be allowed to appeal if they disagree with the league.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby SniperShot » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:22 pm

stomperrob wrote:

Agreed, but I assume the players will continue to be allowed to appeal if they disagree with the league.
Oh they better as heck be able to appeal.

Very tough issue though because it's so easy to argue either side. Most major injuries aren't cheap shots. (or so we're usually lead to believe)
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 pm

SniperShot wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

Oh they better as heck be able to appeal.

Very tough issue though because it's so easy to argue either side. Most major injuries aren't cheap shots. (or so we're usually lead to believe)

Exactly; It would be pretty hard for me to believe that Tom Brady's injury doesn't have something to do with this, and that was ruled a clean hit (though Belichick apparently didn't think so).

Still, I like the rule. I believe that the NFL will use it responsibly and it should help prevent some injuries from occuring.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:00 pm

I understand the need to protect people, but I really don't like how touchy they are with this kind of stuff. Often, the guy making the hit is already committed by the time the guy steps a quarter of an inch out of bounds or by the time people notice the pass is too high to possibly catch.

The DeAngelo Hall hit where he hit the guy that was already on the ground rather than just touching him and got a flag thrown on him is a good example of this. It looked like an obvious call, but when you watch from the angle where you can see both guys in the picture at the same time, Hall started his lunge at the guy before the guy went to the ground. At that point, unless he can control gravity there's not much he can do.

Then we wonder how these guys are able to squeeze down the sidelines with people around them without being hit because everyone is so tentative over there worrying that they're going to get a flag.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:42 am

I don't like it for 3 reasons:
1) I don't want the refs thinking about throwing more flags. Heckoli, I don't even want refs to have anything more to think about. It's a natural response that when a ref is told to crack down on something, they look for it more and call penalties that might have gone unflagged. These guys are on the field their whole lives, they know when cheap shots are made in a harmful manner and flag them. No need to ask for more. Really wonder just whose pockets Goodell is in deepest. The Brady connection cannot be ignored, but that play wasn't a cheapshot.
2) I don't want Goodell wielding direct power over the game on the field. No one person should have the role, let alone one who is an agent for the owners.
3) I don't want players thinking about letting up on a hit because they are worried the hit would be flagged. Letting up on a play is a proven recipe for injury.
Geez, this is football isn't it? Aren't these guys supposed to hit eachother? And hit hard? If you take that out of the game you take the soul of the game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 am

moochman wrote:I don't like it for 3 reasons:
1) I don't want the refs thinking about throwing more flags. Heckoli, I don't even want refs to have anything more to think about. It's a natural response that when a ref is told to crack down on something, they look for it more and call penalties that might have gone unflagged. These guys are on the field their whole lives, they know when cheap shots are made in a harmful manner and flag them. No need to ask for more. Really wonder just whose pockets Goodell is in deepest. The Brady connection cannot be ignored, but that play wasn't a cheapshot.
2) I don't want Goodell wielding direct power over the game on the field. No one person should have the role, let alone one who is an agent for the owners.
3) I don't want players thinking about letting up on a hit because they are worried the hit would be flagged. Letting up on a play is a proven recipe for injury.
Geez, this is football isn't it? Aren't these guys supposed to hit eachother? And hit hard? If you take that out of the game you take the soul of the game.

Good post. I completely agree. #3 is definitely the biggest problem. I'd really like to see it go the other way actually; NFL ought to stop throwing flags for cheap shots unless it's very blatant (my biggest problems are roughing the passer and the "late hit out of bounds").
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Houser33 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:50 am

You realize that you said the same thing twice. Funny enough was that two people quoted you and agreed lol. But I know what you mean, I just dont know if I agree. Very rarely are borderline hits completely unintentional. I mean come on, these players arent stupid. They may be running around at a gazillion miles an hour but it's not like they have their brains turned off. It has been common knowledge that you absolutely cannot lead with your helmet yet players do it all the time and cry foul when they see the yellow flag. Yet deep down inside, they know they couldve let up. The only problem I see is that sometimes you just cant tell if a guy has already been claimed down by contact, which is when you see guys flying in late with that extra hit. Those are the tricky ones.
Houser33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk