Goodell cracking down on cheap shots - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Goodell cracking down on cheap shots

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Goodell cracking down on cheap shots

Postby tolleyjenkins » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:27 am

There's a big difference between tackling someone and just flinging your body at someone. Too often players are just flying around the field throwing their bodies at the ballcarrier, rather than actually tackling. I'm all for penalizing the former when it's completely unnecessary and is just a ploy to get on some highlight reel.
tolleyjenkins
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Goodell cracking down on cheap shots

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:54 pm

tolleyjenkins wrote:There's a big difference between tackling someone and just flinging your body at someone. Too often players are just flying around the field throwing their bodies at the ballcarrier, rather than actually tackling. I'm all for penalizing the former when it's completely unnecessary and is just a ploy to get on some highlight reel.

It's just not that easy. You have to realize that there are many players in the league that have been encouraged and even taught to fling their body's around with reckless abandon. They are rewarded for making punishing hits and if they didn't could very well be out of a job. As a fan, I enjoy watching players flinging their bodies at someone to try and make a stop. I know it is a weaker part of me that likes to see the all-out violence of a well timed flinging result in breaking up a pass, or making a hit. But that's just me. Part of the appeal of the game is in the collision. Homoginize that and we may as well try soccer.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk