Whats wrong with SD's defense? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Whats wrong with SD's defense?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Whats wrong with SD's defense?

Postby Favre.com » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:09 pm

Last year regarded as one of the best shutdown defenses in the league, losing Merriman definitely hurt, but there is no way it should have hurt THIS bad. They are I believe ranked as the worst defense in all of football... how is this possible and will they turn it around?
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Whats wrong with SD's defense?

Postby LT Blue Colt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Not quite sure what's wrong with 'em, but with them having 2 games against KC and 2 against OAK, I picked them up in 2 leagues where others had dropped them. They still have a couple tough matchups (NO, NE, PIT, IND) but also a couple good ones (MIA, BUF, ATL). I'm hoping they turn around too.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Purple1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:18 pm

Two words: Ted Cattrel

Everything he touches starts off strong then quickly turns to poop.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:12 pm

The Chargers primary defense is the spread defense...I would say it's run at least 25% of the plays, significantly more on passing downs. Right now there are four players in that spread defense learning a new position within it: Cromartie, Weddle, Cason, and Gregory. Add in Tucker starting for the first time and Cooper missing due to a suspension, and it's somewhat easy to see why the defense looks poor to start the season. However, remember the Chargers rightfully didn't allow a point in the second half to Denver and that seven came on a short field following a blown call and 'malfunction'. Sproles also ran a kick back in the first half, which gave Denver the ball back spiking their yards total.

Once all the Chargers learn their new roles in the spread defense they'll once again have the best pass coverage, like the end of last season.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:24 am

It's the Norv Turner effect....the longer he stays in San Diego the worse they will become overall...just wait and see.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:22 pm

It's pretty simple. Merriman is gone. No Cooper. And Jamal Williams is not himself yet. SD has no pass rush. Opposing teams have thrown the ball 91 times in 2 games and they have 1 sack. It doesn't matter who is in the secondary if you have no pass rush. People are throwing on SD because they choose to, not because they have to, and that's a huge problem. Remember how horrible NY Giants pass defense was the first 2 or 3 games last year. They start getting pressure on people and suddenly Ross and Webster look like they've been all-pro for years.

If Williams gets back to himself, Cooper can provide additional presence when he returns and they get someone who can fill in for Merriman adequately then they will be good again. Personally, that's too many ifs for me. When they come up against teams with weapons at WR they will be in trouble. Luckily for them they don't face too many teams with the firepower of Car and Den.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk