Owens in Atlanta???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Owens in Atlanta????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Homeless » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:02 pm

TO to the Bucs ! :-)

Atlanta is a migrant town, which is why team loyalties fluctuate so much.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:05 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Yeah, I would have a much easier time seeing T.O. in either Philly or NE.

I follow the eagles very closely and there is no way in hell that Philly would sign TO. Our front office is extremely "frugal" to put it nicely. Plus, they would not put up with his attitude. The main reason is that he's not Andy Reid's type of guy. AR's type of guy is someone who will play adequately on the cheap.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:13 pm

ScreamingWeasel wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Atlanta has too many other needs to spend that kinda cash on TO. O-line, D-line, secondary....hell, the entire defense.

Those of you outside the South probably don't really "know" about Atlanta and The Braves.
Atlanta first-and-foremost will ALWAYS be a baseball town.
The Falcons and the NBA Hawks will always be the red-headed step child in Atlanta.

Remember a few years ago? Jamal Anderson? The "Dirty Bird". And and actual honest-to-god holy cow SUPER Bowl appearance?

The Falcons couldn't even sell-out their HOME PLAY-OFF games!
Empty seats!
THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Exactly. I live right near the border of SC and Georgia. When the Falcons got into the playoffs in 98 nobody really cared at all. Nobody ever said anything util the beat the Vikes. After they lost the Super Bowl nobody cared either. I have been to a Braves game. There is so much enthusiasm, it is clearly a baseball town. The Thrashers are good, but hardly anybody even know there isa such thing as hockey here. Growing up in Mn I like hockey, but nobody cares here. The Falcons are not very big, that is why they need Vick, to sell any tickets. If the Falcons end up with TO I would be amazed. There really aren't any "real" Falcon fans that I know. They are all fair-weather fans.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:17 pm

He'd be a great fit in Atlanta. Price could go back to being a #2 WR and start producing again.

It won't happen though. They need to work on the O-Line to protect Vick first. They can get by with the RB they have for a couple years. O-Line and D need to be addressed this year and next in the draft.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:33 am

The Dude wrote:I hear ya weasel. I lived there for 1 year ... the city doesn't support the Falcons ... - even when they are winning. Weird town ...

M_Zimm wrote:Exactly. I live right near the border of SC and Georgia. When the Falcons got into the playoffs in 98 nobody really cared at all. Nobody ever said anything util the beat the Vikes. After they lost the Super Bowl nobody cared either.

This is what I'm talking about. Just not very well, apparently.
What I'm trying to say is that a team with this kind of fan base (and lack revenue) is very unlikely to shell out the MegaBucks and huge cash-up-front signing bonus T.O. will demand.
From the owner's perspective, T.O. could possibly get them to another Super Bowl, but, so what?, if that doesn't translate into ticket sales, programs, jerseys, caps, t-shirts, beer and nacho sales?
Where's the dough?
Just don't see it happening in Atlanta for that reason.

~Da Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:42 am

Actually, Atlanta's new owner has shown he's willing to do what it takes to get people excited about the Falcons (signing Vick, lowering ticket prices, etc...). But they haven't really had a chance to see what Price can do with Vick so I can't see them paying the money to get Owens.

I can actually see Owens sitting out next year since nobody will be willing to pay what he thinks he's worth. He could go the way of Ricky Watters.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Super Freak » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:30 am

it is merely a coincidence cause they both wair nike shoes
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby foreverabearsfan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:17 pm

Gunslinger wrote:I can actually see Owens sitting out next year since nobody will be willing to pay what he thinks he's worth. He could go the way of Ricky Watters.

good point, that would be a tragedy. ricky watters was fun to watch, from college to his days as a 49er and an eagle.

if peerless price produced w/ eric moulds as the numero uno, imagine what TO and peerless could do together with vick throwing the bullets he does. you wouldn't even need an o-line. just use 5 football practice dummies or something. it would be worth it just to watch vick scramble and evade like a greased pig. that would certainly sell tickets, anyway.
foreverabearsfan Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk