Do the right thing, Millen style - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Do the right thing, Millen style

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do the right thing, Millen style

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:07 am

Here are some excerpts from an interview with Ratfink Millen by Killer Kowalski taken from MLive http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/millen_were_doing_the_right_th_1.html

On the state of the team:

"I believe in the guy I hired (head coach Rod Marinelli) and I believe in the staff we put together and I believe in the players we have on the field. If you want to point a finger at anybody for that stuff, it's on me. I'm fine with that because I believe in what's out there.''

My Take: Point the finger at me, but do it quickly because I am about to disappear quicker than Lions fans’ hope. Believing in what you see only has value when one is proven to have insight.

In retrospect, did you have too much confidence in the ability of the defensive players:

"Do what you're coached to do and play to your capability and we'll be fine. I still believe that and that's not going to change.''

My Take: Not an answer, or is it. Maybe Millen’s most damning statement on the lack of coaching, talent, or both. Out of the mouths of fools truth may escape.

About irate fans after the team's 0-2 start:

"I guess I wouldn't be surprised, I really haven't thought about it. I'm more concerned with this (pointing to the workout) than any other part.
"That's why I wasn't going to say anything in the preseason - come out and look for yourself. You'll like what you see because what you're seeing is the foundation that you have to have in any successful program. It's the way things are being done, the practice habits, all of that stuff. That hasn't left.''

My Take: A deaf ear hears no wisdom; the blind eye follows no path. To not hear that fans are irate is to ignore your consumer. To think doing things the same automatically brings wanted results is a blind faith not unlike that of the Lemmings.
The rest of the trucated excerpts regurgitate more of the same. What really bothers me, other than ratfink having a job, it that he is still watching practices. Doesn't he have a job? Talk about not seeing the forrest for the tree, this idiot doesn't realize that his job is to judge the results of the coaches and scouts work, not how oraganized they are. You can watch practice or scouts prepare for D-day and think they are really doing a good job, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. MIllen totally loses the perspective that should tell him that the results mean the pie is rotten, no matter that the baker is organized. He ignores the only thing that matters by watching the NimRod not varying in his practice. Well, I guess it's paying off because the Lions don't seem to be varying in their results: they blow every week.

Someone once said that the definition of insanity is doing things the same way and expecting different results. Now we just need to figure out who is insane; The Lions FO or the fans.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do the right thing, Millen style

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Nice stuff Mooch. And its clearly the fans. The FO is just a puppet master. And we continue to play along. Watch the lions will finish the year off with 3-4 wins and we will buy into the "improvement" shat. Its a joke, it really really is. And the thing is, if they were to fire everyone and blow it up. Its still like 5-6 years away from ANYTHING decent with the failed drafts and the way the money is slotted for years to come. Its sad cause if someone could turn the Lions around, they would be an absolute God in this town.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: Do the right thing, Millen style

Postby dream_017 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 pm

we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice.

Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice.

So, let me get this straight, the Super Bowl winner is going to get to play the Lions for the Super Super Bowl, right? Because we did win the practice season :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Return to Detroit Lions