Starting a QB against his stud reciever? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Starting a QB against his stud reciever?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starting a QB against his stud reciever?

Postby 011472 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16 pm

I like to use a QBBC, and normally choose my starter based on the defense they're playing, but is there any wisdom to leaning toward using a QB when playing against his top receiver? For example, I have Delhomme and Schaub. When playing Steve Smith, should I consider using Delhomme even in a worse matchup because any TDs for Smith will also mean 6 points for Delhomme?

Or should I just go with the better matchup?
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Starting a QB against his stud reciever?

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:46 pm

This is probably way more information than you ever wanted, but for a long answer, go here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216680

If you want the short answer, here it is:
1) If you think one of your QBs is due for a much better day than the other, go with him.
2) If you can't decide between your QBs in any meaningful way, and you're favored in the matchup, go with Delhomme.
3) If you can't decide between your QBs in any meaningful way, and the other guy is favored in the matchup, go with your Schaub.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Playing players based on who he has is silly and a waste of time. You may think it's clever but it's not. Play whoever's matchup you like better. I'd personally go with Delhomme.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 pm

always start your best players, regardless of what your opponent has.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:27 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:always start your best players, regardless of what your opponent has.

Yes, and if you don't know who your best player is, then follow the advice above.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:44 pm

In your situation, both QBs play at noon, so what I'm about to say doesn't apply - so follow Matthias's advice.

However, if you had let's say Romo and Favre who play after the majority of games, you could make a more educated decision as to whether you just need to keep pace with your opponent or whether you need to outscore him. This is typically when I contemplate such things - but before any of the games begin, it wouldn't even factor into my thinking. Start the guy you have the most confidence in.

Too often, you'll out-think yourself and watch the QB only throw for 180 yds, 1 TD but almost all of it goes to your opponent's receiver, plus the receiver scores on a reverse, which you don't get any credit for. So he still gets 30 pts and you only get 10. Meanwhile the guy you normally would have started throws for 300 and 2 TDs. Crazy things happen - I always say you'd rather lose with your studs than lose because of a bad lineup move.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:32 am

I know it seems like your equaling out TD's doing this but really nothing is different, all that matters is your total team points to his total team points, and you want as many as you can get...If you have two QB's with equal matchups then yes thats a fine tie breaker going with the QB of his stud WR, but thats only if your doing a QBBC in your lineups...If you have a stud you play him, and if you have an easy matchup you go with that, his stud WR can have 100 yds and end up with a solid day but your screwed because your qb threw for 160 yds, 2 picks and a fumble, he still has his QB left to play and the guy on your bench goes off :-P Only use this strategy if you can't decide who to start because the matchups are even.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dream_017 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:58 am

You want your QB to outscore his QB, not outscore his WR(you have WRs to outscore his WRs)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:32 pm

i do have one example that is atypical, but worth throwing out there. I was in a 3wr league last year, and my opponent started all three "starting" WRs for the Lions, and I had kitna. In that instance I started Kitna even though I thought Eli would score a bit more, because he basically negated three of his players for one of mine. I know there can be fumbles etc., but any TD he got at those positions would be one I got as well, so I felt it was worth it in that instance.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk