How Important is Class in Fantasy Football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Important is Class in Fantasy Football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should I accept this trade as soon as the deadline passes?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 am

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes : 10

How Important is Class in Fantasy Football?

Postby WeekSixteen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:59 am

Our league has a no trades allowed policy that starts 10am Sunday morning and ends at 12am on Tuesday. I was going to accept a trade proposed to me but didn't realize the cutoff was at 10am (was thinking it was before kickoff) so now the trade is hanging there, the other owner can't pull it down and I can't accept or reject until 12am on Tuesday. In theory I can log on right at 12am and probably accept this trade if his players play strong today, and if they don't I can reject it.

My question is, even though I emailed the other owner saying I was going to accept it but missed the deadline would accepting the trade Tuesday morning be a classless move, or should I take advantage of the rules to help out my team. What would you do? ;-D or :-t
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How Important is Class in Fantasy Football?

Postby Matthias » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 pm

For the specific question, if you said you were going to accept it, then accept it. Don't say you're going to hedge and if his players suck or get injured you're going to reject.

For the more general question, how important is class? If you're playing in one of 99% of leagues that are friends, family, and work associates where the primary purpose is to trash talk and the secondary purpose is to win money (even if that money is in the thousands) I say class is very important.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:56 pm

i'd say you can take it -- it was offered, you wanted to, and you told him your intent.

I think class is important in everything btw.

i also think that is a dumb rule.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Atog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Take the high road ;-D
Unless he was offering you some ridiculously lopsided trade, of course :-D :-D :-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Karma. You said you were going to accept it, so it must be a decent trade for you going into the week, chances are not much has changed.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby The Lung » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:59 pm

eaglesrule wrote:i also think that is a dumb rule.

Agreed. What is the reasoning behind this rule?!?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby AllDay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:12 pm

Either one of you can accept or revoke the trade the instant the no trade deadline passes without any worries about it being a 'low class' move IMO.

Unless there is a standing league rule where a verbal or other agreement of accepting or declining a trade is binding then your actions are legit whatever you do.

I do think class matters in general, but that also depends on the league and your league mates.

Some leagues deserve to be treated with respect and civility - in others chaos rules by design.

I think the restriction is just to prevent fantasy players from switching teams after the weeks games have started.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:14 am

Atog wrote:Take the high road ;-D

Seriously though, this is just fantasy football. In the grand scheme of life you present yourself with class in everything you do, including when you are simply playing games.

If you behave with class now and that move comes back to cost you a game or the season you have still won more in the game of life than if you had acted classlessly and won the game of fantasy football.

Always do what you know is right, not just what is "legal". ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Axl's Army » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:02 am

If you aint cheatin' you aint tryin'!!!!!

Seriously - it's Fantasy Football. i.e. It's a a game. Have fun with it & don't worry too much about it either way.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Atog wrote:Take the high road ;-D

Seriously though, this is just fantasy football. In the grand scheme of life you present yourself with class in everything you do, including when you are simply playing games.

If you behave with class now and that move comes back to cost you a game or the season you have still won more in the game of life than if you had acted classlessly and won the game of fantasy football.

Always do what you know is right, not just what is "legal". ;-D

Pretty good Zen you have in Flint, Cornbread. I agree, in all aspects of life one should strive to do what is right. No never have to rationalize or apologize for taking the high road.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk