Ronnie Brown: Fantasy Stud or Sell High? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ronnie Brown: Fantasy Stud or Sell High?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ronnie Brown: Fantasy Stud or Sell High?

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:24 pm

2ksports wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Gore and Portis have to be in the Top 3 as far as I'm concerned.

No.

elaborate?

edit: just to further my point, my money league (which is not ppr), Gore is second and Portis is 4th in scoring among running backs.

Portis: 4.6 yards a touch, 563 total yards, 4 TDs

Gore: 5.6 yards a touch, 603 total yards, 4 TDs

and you were saying...
Last edited by Guru13 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 2ksports » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:29 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
2ksports wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Gore and Portis have to be in the Top 3 as far as I'm concerned.

No.

elaborate?

Sure, you first.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:33 pm

2ksports wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
2ksports wrote:
No.

elaborate?

Sure, you first.

done.

see the edit on my above post, didn't see your post when I edited it.

your rebuttal is taking too long, come on I'm in the debating mood. :-b

edit: dude??!?! you're not even online? tisk, I was kinda wanting to get into a conversation about it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 2ksports » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:46 pm

First of all, my concern mostly is with Gore.

In my money league, which is no PPR, and has the same scoring as most leagues (10yard=1pt, 1TD=6pt)

1. Bush
2. Brown
3. Turner
4. Gore
5. Westbrook
6. Slaton
7. Portis

I don't need to mention that Ronnie Brown did what Frank Gore did TD wise with 9 less games played last year, nor do I need to mention that neither Portis nor Gore are the same class (physically) as Brown and Peterson.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Last year for Gore is no...NO comparison to Gore this year. Last year he was on a less than impressive offense, they were dismal actually. Martz has shown that when he has a RB that has the type of skill set (Marshall Faulk) that Gore has, he produces well. The niners are competing this year, and Gore is at the front and center of that offense, he gets the ball all.the.time. The TDs have been there thus far this year (the one game he didn't have TD, against New Orleans, he atleast had a two point conversion) and his fumbles haven't really been a problem either, he's got virtually no one competing for carries.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Suicide_Kings » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:39 pm

To the original question: Ronnie Brown is legit. Aside from when he's played hurt, he's really pretty darn good. Everyone seems down on the Fins. I think they're going to do a lot better than people realize.

So what if Pennington can't throw the long ball? There's enough weaponry to make up for that flaw...and everyone plays better (i.e. Fasano). I even expect Ginn to start developing late season.
Suicide_Kings
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby 2ksports » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Last year for Gore is no...NO comparison to Gore this year. Last year he was on a less than impressive offense, they were dismal actually. Martz has shown that when he has a RB that has the type of skill set (Marshall Faulk) that Gore has, he produces well. The niners are competing this year, and Gore is at the front and center of that offense, he gets the ball all.the.time. The TDs have been there thus far this year (the one game he didn't have TD, against New Orleans, he atleast had a two point conversion) and his fumbles haven't really been a problem either, he's got virtually no one competing for carries.

Well I guess my point is Gore has never shown the penchant for scoring TDs. To be a top 3 fantasy player, the TDs have got to be there. This year, he's off to a good start, but until he shows he has the ability to amass over 16 total TDs in a season, I don't think he can be a top 3 draftpick.

Portis - he was a top 3 in the very distant past, but it's pretty evident watching him play that he has lost a step. He's getting alot of good runs due to the offensive line.

Ronnie Brown and Turner are fresh young backs on the Rise. I think we are looking at the next LT in Ronnie Brown, the type of back that can score 3-4 TDs in game and we will think is normal. With the massive O-Line Parcells is assembling, there is no reason why Ronnie Brown won't be the #2 RB drafted next year after Peterson. I said the same about Peterson vs LT last year after week 3, and I think this is a very similar situation.

Since I strongly believe that AD and RB will be the clear 1&2 next year, that makes Gore and Portis as the top 3 impossible in my mind, thus I elaborate on why I said "no".
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guru13 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 am

if the numbers Gore's put up this year continue you wouldn't consider Gore over Jackson/Addai/Westbrook or whoever you believe to be the number 3 pick? I guess we sorta had a mixup, I was thinking if we drafted today, not next year, I'd have those guys in the top 3, there numbers have been pretty ridonculous thus far.

I agree with you 100% about Ronnie Brown, the guy could very potentially be the best back in the league taking into consideration age and what have you. ADP has shown he's human, he hasn't put up the numbers people were expecting him to thus far, he's been good yes, but not the AD we saw last year.

Turner is great, I've got him in my keeper league and he's been awesome, however...he hasn't played a full season yet, as this is his first season as starter...the offense has looked good thus far, but with a rookie quarterback, the potential for it to go downhill fast is great. He's been very good, I'll agree, he just has some questions.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Did someone just say that Brown is head and shoulders more talented than Frank Gore?

Seriously?

If you can pull it off, trade Ronnie Brown for Frank Gore in a heartbeat. That trade will take you to the championship. Thank me later.

Brown followed up his monster 4 TD game with another 120/1 game, stud right?

Frank Gore has had 100+ yards and a TD in 3 games this year. HE has had 100 yards or a TD in EVERY game this year. It's still early, but I seriously could see Gore breaking records this year.

Consider, he was the best RB in the NFC with Alex Smith at QB. He had a horrible year (1100 yards rushing?) last year on one of the worst offenses in recent memory. Now he's got Mike Martz with a former THIRD string QB coming in and basically blowing the league away.

-4th in the NFL in rushing yardage (10th in attempts)
-1st in the NFL in total yardge.

Frank Gore is on pace for 1900/13 or around 260 FPTs (good for #3 RB last year).
Ronnie Brown is on pace for 1400/24 or around 284 FPTs (good for #2 RB last year).
Which do you think is more sustainable?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Did someone just say that Brown is head and shoulders more talented than Frank Gore?

Seriously?

If you can pull it off, trade Ronnie Brown for Frank Gore in a heartbeat. That trade will take you to the championship. Thank me later.

Brown followed up his monster 4 TD game with another 120/1 game, stud right?

Frank Gore has had 100+ yards and a TD in 3 games this year. HE has had 100 yards or a TD in EVERY game this year. It's still early, but I seriously could see Gore breaking records this year.

Consider, he was the best RB in the NFC with Alex Smith at QB. He had a horrible year (1100 yards rushing?) last year on one of the worst offenses in recent memory. Now he's got Mike Martz with a former THIRD string QB coming in and basically blowing the league away.

-4th in the NFL in rushing yardage (10th in attempts)
-1st in the NFL in total yardge.

Frank Gore is on pace for 1900/13 or around 260 FPTs (good for #3 RB last year).
Ronnie Brown is on pace for 1400/24 or around 284 FPTs (good for #2 RB last year).
Which do you think is more sustainable?

Sure, but Ronnie is just getting settled in. They thought Ricky was the starter until like week 3. Once Ronnie got the rock he was studly, and he's not looking back. I still like Gore better, but not by much.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk