Teams I Need More Info On - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Teams I Need More Info On

Moderator: Football Moderators

Teams I Need More Info On

Postby VaderFin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:32 am

A few games into the season and some teams have showed what they are made of and others...well others we just aren't sure about yet. Here are a few that I just haven't seen enough or they haven't played the talent to make a proper decision on. Feel free to comment on and add your own.

Texas --- Are these guys for real? I tend to think they are not and when they hit Big 12 play will show that. I have not seen them play at all though.

BYU --- Starting to look like the BCS buster of this year. Has looked really impressive. How would they stack up against the top teams?

Alabama --- I was one of the few who ranked these guys before the season started but I didn't see the possibility of this team winning the West. Can they do it? I think they are a year away but I can't wait to see what Saban does the rest of this year.

Miami and Nebraska --- Powers of the past gone horribly wrong. Have these teams turned things around to at least make a decent bowl game? I think both make a bowl but are still a year or two away from competing for a conference title.

Penn State --- I haven't seen them play a lick and they haven't played anyone worth a lick. Sleeper of the Big 10 this year or fraud?

Texas Tech --- For once I'd love to see this team really play well against the big boys. I enjoy their style. I have a feeling it will be the same ol same ol though once things get rolling in conference play.

Utah --- How for real are these guys? I haven't watched them either to really see what they could do against a power team.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:50 am

VaderFin wrote:A few games into the season and some teams have showed what they are made of and others...well others we just aren't sure about yet. Here are a few that I just haven't seen enough or they haven't played the talent to make a proper decision on. Feel free to comment on and add your own.

Texas --- Are these guys for real? I tend to think they are not and when they hit Big 12 play will show that. I have not seen them play at all though.

BYU --- Starting to look like the BCS buster of this year. Has looked really impressive. How would they stack up against the top teams?

Alabama --- I was one of the few who ranked these guys before the season started but I didn't see the possibility of this team winning the West. Can they do it? I think they are a year away but I can't wait to see what Saban does the rest of this year.

Miami and Nebraska --- Powers of the past gone horribly wrong. Have these teams turned things around to at least make a decent bowl game? I think both make a bowl but are still a year or two away from competing for a conference title.

Penn State --- I haven't seen them play a lick and they haven't played anyone worth a lick. Sleeper of the Big 10 this year or fraud?

Texas Tech --- For once I'd love to see this team really play well against the big boys. I enjoy their style. I have a feeling it will be the same ol same ol though once things get rolling in conference play.

Utah --- How for real are these guys? I haven't watched them either to really see what they could do against a power team.


Texas -- The defense looks like it is getting a bit better on pass defense, which was there big problem last year. A healthy McCoy leading the offense keeps them in any game IMO, but I think their pass defense still isn't good enough to stop Oklahoma or Missouri's offenses.

BYU -- They look good, but go back and look at that UW game. UW, who was torched by OK and Oregon, held the BYU offense relatively in check. Also, UW was a ball throw into the air away from taking that game into overtime with A LOT of momentum. I think had UW gone into OT they would have won that game.

Bama -- They look great, but I think we will find out just how good this weekend. Clemson was a big win, but now it looks like (from watching Clemson) that Clemson is struggling on offense (especially the line and at QB) and maybe that wasn't that big of a win. ARK sucks, but it is hard in the SEC to pummel teams like that. This week at UGA will show what they have IMO.

Miami -- They have the speed and talent, but there 2 wins have come against an AWFUL TAMU team and a DII school, they have UNC coming into town, but I expect them to win because it looks like Yates is out.

NEB -- I will let those guys answer

PSU -- They look dominating. I have watched a lot of there games and they look to be a player in the big 10. They haven't played anyone good yet, but they get Illini this week. Like Bama they look awesome, but this week will be the test IMO.

TT -- They finally have a defense that I think can make some stops when they need them to be made. The offense is going to score a lot and Crabtree is the best WR in the NCAA. They have a tough road, but I think they are capable of playing with anyone, but Oklahoma in the Big 12.

Utah -- Senior QB that knows how to run the offense. They have a very solid team and should be able to hang with most teams. Last weeks game against AF was a close one, but go look at the history of that rivalry and you will see it is ALWAYS close. They play BYU the last week of the season.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 am

deerayfan072 wrote:BYU -- They look good, but go back and look at that UW game. UW, who was torched by OK and Oregon, held the BYU offense relatively in check. Also, UW was a ball throw into the air away from taking that game into overtime with A LOT of momentum. I think had UW gone into OT they would have won that game.

I agree that in OT UW probably would have taken that game but BYU got the W and is still rolling. I agree with Vader, they look like are the BCS buster this year. But they haven't played a ranked team yet, as of now they have 2 on their schedule, at #24 TCU in 3 weeks and at #17 Utah to close the season. I guess we shall see.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 am

Nebraska – this is a team that is high on potential but low on technique. This season is going to be lost simply due to the fact that there was zero coaching being done by the previous staff. Look for a four-loss season (Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Texas Tech), with other potential losses coming from VA Tech and the bowl game.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:45 am

knapplc wrote:Nebraska – this is a team that is high on potential but low on technique. This season is going to be lost simply due to the fact that there was zero coaching being done by the previous staff. Look for a four-loss season (Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Texas Tech), with other potential losses coming from VA Tech and the bowl game.


I think you guys take VT by 10 this week. VT should have lost to UNC, but Yates was injured at that was UNC's offense
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:03 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Nebraska – this is a team that is high on potential but low on technique. This season is going to be lost simply due to the fact that there was zero coaching being done by the previous staff. Look for a four-loss season (Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Texas Tech), with other potential losses coming from VA Tech and the bowl game.


I think you guys take VT by 10 this week. VT should have lost to UNC, but Yates was injured at that was UNC's offense

Are you basing that off of how good you think Nebraska is or how bad you think VT is? I could believe anything from Nebraska blowing out VT to VT blowing out Nebraska, and any result in between. There are SO MANY unanswered questions on this Nebraska team that I have no idea what we'll see week to week.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 am

knapplc wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Nebraska – this is a team that is high on potential but low on technique. This season is going to be lost simply due to the fact that there was zero coaching being done by the previous staff. Look for a four-loss season (Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Texas Tech), with other potential losses coming from VA Tech and the bowl game.


I think you guys take VT by 10 this week. VT should have lost to UNC, but Yates was injured at that was UNC's offense

Are you basing that off of how good you think Nebraska is or how bad you think VT is? I could believe anything from Nebraska blowing out VT to VT blowing out Nebraska, and any result in between. There are SO MANY unanswered questions on this Nebraska team that I have no idea what we'll see week to week.


Both. VT is pretty bad from what I have seen. They were lucky in their GT victory IMO and they would have lost by a good margin had Yates stayed in the UNC game. Combine that with the fact that I think Nebraska's offense is better than anyone that VT has faced as of yet and their defense should be good enough to stop VT. I like Nebraska by 7 - 10 points.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby Mugrila » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:34 am

Here is some good reading on the way VT approaches games; I think it's pretty spot-on since VT never has a flashy offense but the victories are always there.

I'm not too confident going into this game, we just have so many freshmen/inexperienced guys at impact positions. If we force Nebraska into mistakes like UNC we have a shot, but I just don't know. :-o
Image
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 633
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching the Seahawks win the NFC

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 am

Just ran across this interesting fact about Nebraska. Nebraska's three opponents (to date) are a combined 7-3, with all three losses coming to Nebraska. San Jose State is ranked in the top 20 in overall defense. At the moment, Nebraska has the 12th-ranked SOS (it's been as high as 4th, until Kansas lost, I think).

So throwing all this into the mishmash, I put Nebraska in my top 30. We'll see what happens in the next three weeks, though. Nebraska plays VA Tech, Missouri and @Texas Tech.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:52 am

knapplc wrote:Just ran across this interesting fact about Nebraska. Nebraska's three opponents (to date) are a combined 7-3, with all three losses coming to Nebraska. San Jose State is ranked in the top 20 in overall defense. At the moment, Nebraska has the 12th-ranked SOS (it's been as high as 4th, until Kansas lost, I think).

So throwing all this into the mishmash, I put Nebraska in my top 30. We'll see what happens in the next three weeks, though. Nebraska plays VA Tech, Missouri and @Texas Tech.


SJST lost to Stanford last week. Trust me, I lost money on it :~(

SJST is a decent team though.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Next

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:44 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact