Teams I Need More Info On - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Teams I Need More Info On

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:53 am

What's stupid is that I knew that. This is old info, but I forgot. Well, it's not going to hurt putting Nebraska at #28. :-D ;-7
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:59 am

knapplc wrote:What's stupid is that I knew that. This is old info, but I forgot. Well, it's not going to hurt putting Nebraska at #28. :-D ;-7

:-b :-b , yea that happens. What's good too about those numbers is Nebraska won all of those games handily.

I have them in my top 25 :-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Good idea for a thread ;-D

The only team there I can really help you much with is Utah. I saw them play week 1 against Michigan. They were a pretty solid team, but by no means spectacular. If they were to somehow sneak into the BCS, I think they'd get spanked by pretty much anyone (maybe with the exception of whichever Big East team backs their way in). I really don't think they're for real, although they are good in relation to other non-BCS teams.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:39 pm

knapplc wrote:Just ran across this interesting fact about Nebraska. Nebraska's three opponents (to date) are a combined 7-3, with all three losses coming to Nebraska. San Jose State is ranked in the top 20 in overall defense. At the moment, Nebraska has the 12th-ranked SOS (it's been as high as 4th, until Kansas lost, I think).

So throwing all this into the mishmash, I put Nebraska in my top 30. We'll see what happens in the next three weeks, though. Nebraska plays VA Tech, Missouri and @Texas Tech.

I saw that stat somewhere also. Nebraska is in my top 20 ;-D

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:10 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
I think you guys take VT by 10 this week. VT should have lost to UNC, but Yates was injured at that was UNC's offense

Are you basing that off of how good you think Nebraska is or how bad you think VT is? I could believe anything from Nebraska blowing out VT to VT blowing out Nebraska, and any result in between. There are SO MANY unanswered questions on this Nebraska team that I have no idea what we'll see week to week.

Both. VT is pretty bad from what I have seen. They were lucky in their GT victory IMO and they would have lost by a good margin had Yates stayed in the UNC game. Combine that with the fact that I think Nebraska's offense is better than anyone that VT has faced as of yet and their defense should be good enough to stop VT. I like Nebraska by 7 - 10 points.

Geez, Knapp. The non-Husker fan has more confidence than you. :-b I know where you're coming from, but thay havent looked THAT bad. I gotta admit, I'm looking past VT since I agree with Deeray that this is a 2-2 team that got somewhat lucky last week. The VT D is tough, and I think that will keep NU's total a bit deflated, but I cant see VT putting much on the scoreboard unless the 'Shirts have an abysmal performance. The true measuring stick for NU is Mizzou. If they can make a game out of it, then I gotta believe that NU is legit. If NU gets hammered, then they're just a middling bowl team.

A team I wonder about is Auburn, and then by extension, LSU? (I'm having second thoughts about my rankings.) Auburn's beaten an FCS team, Southern Miss, and Miss St on the roady 3-2 who just got crushed by Georgia Tech. LSU has beaten an FCS team, a questionable Sun Belt team, and said Auburn on the road. Auburn maybe overrated. If so, perhaps LSU is overrated also.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:41 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Geez, Knapp. The non-Husker fan has more confidence than you. :-b I know where you're coming from, but thay havent looked THAT bad. I gotta admit, I'm looking past VT since I agree with Deeray that this is a 2-2 team that got somewhat lucky last week. The VT D is tough, and I think that will keep NU's total a bit deflated, but I cant see VT putting much on the scoreboard unless the 'Shirts have an abysmal performance. The true measuring stick for NU is Mizzou. If they can make a game out of it, then I gotta believe that NU is legit. If NU gets hammered, then they're just a middling bowl team.

A team I wonder about is Auburn, and then by extension, LSU? (I'm having second thoughts about my rankings.) Auburn's beaten an FCS team, Southern Miss, and Miss St on the roady 3-2 who just got crushed by Georgia Tech. LSU has beaten an FCS team, a questionable Sun Belt team, and said Auburn on the road. Auburn maybe overrated. If so, perhaps LSU is overrated also.

Here is the thing about both -- This past weekends game is always like what you saw. It is always back and forth with great defensive play and the game seems to always come down to the final week. I think that AUB was looking ahead a bit in that MSU defense and their offensive system is still a work in progress. They just installed the spread before their bowl game last year, so it is still a bit of an adjustment. Both of these defenses are tops in the country and that will keep them in any game. They both need just a little bit of offense each game and they should pull out a win. The LSU offense, just like Auburn, will only get better as the season goes on and their QB's get more experience. I think both offenses took a big step forward last game and I think both teams will be getting better and better as the weeks go on, which does not make me feel good about the UF/LSU game. :-o
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:A team I wonder about is Auburn, and then by extension, LSU? (I'm having second thoughts about my rankings.) Auburn's beaten an FCS team, Southern Miss, and Miss St on the roady 3-2 who just got crushed by Georgia Tech. LSU has beaten an FCS team, a questionable Sun Belt team, and said Auburn on the road. Auburn maybe overrated. If so, perhaps LSU is overrated also.

You can make a similar argument about 75% of the teams in the top 25. The first thing that should be thought of when doing these rankings is that the transitive property does not apply to college football. If it did, by the end of the year, every single team (every single one) would have to be viewed as wildly overrated.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby VaderFin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Vanderbilt is 4-0. I don't care who they have played Vanderbilt is 4-0. Can they make a bowl game? 2 more wins should be something they get done.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:45 pm

VaderFin wrote:Vanderbilt is 4-0. I don't care who they have played Vanderbilt is 4-0. Can they make a bowl game? 2 more wins should be something they get done.

They played SC and Ole Miss. They have actually played some decent teams :-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eagles21 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:34 pm

I agree mostly with deeray about PSU. They're doing what they have to do, and what they are expected to do against some teams that aren't very good (although Temple should have been 3-0 going into last week :-) ). The defense has continued to be great, even with all the crap that is going on up there with suspensions to Evans and the others. Clark, Royster, etc. have all been awesome. By how Ohio St. has been playing, I can definitely see Penn State competing in the division.

We'll have a better picture after the Illinois game this weekend, though. I'll be there too. White out!!! ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football