Teams I Need More Info On - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Teams I Need More Info On

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:47 pm

eagles21 wrote:I agree mostly with deeray about PSU. They're doing what they have to do, and what they are expected to do against some teams that aren't very good (although Temple should have been 3-0 going into last week :-) ). The defense has continued to be great, even with all the crap that is going on up there with suspensions to Evans and the others. Clark, Royster, etc. have all been awesome. By how Ohio St. has been playing, I can definitely see Penn State competing in the division.

We'll have a better picture after the Illinois game this weekend, though. I'll be there too. White out!!! ;-D


I think PSU dominates this game and wins by 17-20 points
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
eagles21 wrote:I agree mostly with deeray about PSU. They're doing what they have to do, and what they are expected to do against some teams that aren't very good (although Temple should have been 3-0 going into last week :-) ). The defense has continued to be great, even with all the crap that is going on up there with suspensions to Evans and the others. Clark, Royster, etc. have all been awesome. By how Ohio St. has been playing, I can definitely see Penn State competing in the division.

We'll have a better picture after the Illinois game this weekend, though. I'll be there too. White out!!! ;-D


I think PSU dominates this game and wins by 17-20 points


I don't know, DEE. Ill put up 42 against Mizzou. I expect it to be more like Ill 24 PSU 21
Image


Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2915
Joined: 6 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: GOM=30 Home of the Buckeyes

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:35 am

OK, Husker questioners. This is exactly why I've been hesitant about ranking them. This is from a Rivals article:

I talked off the record to a coach who already has coached against Nebraska this year. Here are his thoughts:

"I like the quarterback (Joe Ganz) a lot. He's a heck of a kid. But they can't run the ball. (Marlon) Lucky is good, and he runs good routes. But they really can't run the ball. The line has that mentality of throw, throw, throw (from the old coaching staff). And it's hard to change that mind-set quickly and become a running team overnight. Bo (Pelini) wants to run the ball, but they aren't there yet. It may come after seven or eight games. Or it may not come until the spring. The passing game? They can't just drop back and throw it. Most of their big passing plays come off play-action.

"On defense, I wasn't that impressed. They are big up front, but there isn't much of a pass rush. Bo is trying to scheme them up. He's a big schemer. They came at us with a lot of different blitzes and stunts. I think the DBs are average. I will say the kid they moved from running back to linebacker (Cody Glenn) is a player. He's good. I think this defense will struggle to play in space."

Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 am

Daddymike59 wrote:I don't know, DEE. Ill put up 42 against Mizzou. I expect it to be more like Ill 24 PSU 21


IMO that was because Mizzo's defense is not very good, they were playing on turf (makes Illini's guys that much faster), and they always play in shootouts between the two teams. Good luck going into Happy Valley at night and scoring that many points, it is just not going to happen with this PSU team. Also, PSU is pretty ticked about that loss last year and I think they are ready for revenge. It is going to be a long night for Juice and the Illini IMO.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:40 pm

knapplc wrote:OK, Husker questioners. This is exactly why I've been hesitant about ranking them. This is from a Rivals article:

I talked off the record to a coach who already has coached against Nebraska this year. Here are his thoughts:

"I like the quarterback (Joe Ganz) a lot. He's a heck of a kid. But they can't run the ball. (Marlon) Lucky is good, and he runs good routes. But they really can't run the ball. The line has that mentality of throw, throw, throw (from the old coaching staff). And it's hard to change that mind-set quickly and become a running team overnight. Bo (Pelini) wants to run the ball, but they aren't there yet. It may come after seven or eight games. Or it may not come until the spring. The passing game? They can't just drop back and throw it. Most of their big passing plays come off play-action.

"On defense, I wasn't that impressed. They are big up front, but there isn't much of a pass rush. Bo is trying to scheme them up. He's a big schemer. They came at us with a lot of different blitzes and stunts. I think the DBs are average. I will say the kid they moved from running back to linebacker (Cody Glenn) is a player. He's good. I think this defense will struggle to play in space."



That's definitely worrisome, but based on on-the-field results, I think they deserve to be ranked and unless that changes, they will stay in my rankings.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Scuttlebutt is that this was a quote from the Western Michigan coach. That was really the only game where Cody Glenn shined, so he would definitely have made an impression on them.

Of note is that two of our O-Linemen were out that game, including Lydon Murtha, who is all-conference caliber. He's back and healthy now, and shockingly enough, our running game improved in our last contest.

I'm done with Husker stuff now. Time to talk about other teams.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby VaderFin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Couple more teams.....


Kentucky --- They are 3-0 and have a nice defense. Rook QB though. I think they knock one big name team off this year and play in a decent bowl game.

TCU --- 4-0 team. I haven't seen a lick of them so I have no clue, honestly.

Oklahoma State --- 3-0 team. No knowledge yet here either. Big 12 teams scared of an upset from these guys or are they not a threat?

Connecticut --- 4-0. Quietly building a very nice program here. Dark horse in the Big East could make a push. Donald Brown is nice.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:42 pm

VaderFin wrote:Couple more teams.....


Kentucky --- They are 3-0 and have a nice defense. Rook QB though. I think they knock one big name team off this year and play in a decent bowl game.

TCU --- 4-0 team. I haven't seen a lick of them so I have no clue, honestly.

Oklahoma State --- 3-0 team. No knowledge yet here either. Big 12 teams scared of an upset from these guys or are they not a threat?

Connecticut --- 4-0. Quietly building a very nice program here. Dark horse in the Big East could make a push. Donald Brown is nice.

I know nothing about Kentucky.

OSU - they're not bad. Their strength is their offense, but they're doing well on defense. Nobody is really scared to play them, but then again, the Big XII is pretty darned deep this year.

UConn - Not sure. Baylor is much improved this year, but they barely beat Baylor at home by three points. I don't think this is a terribly impressive UConn team.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:48 pm

VaderFin wrote:Couple more teams.....


Kentucky --- They are 3-0 and have a nice defense. Rook QB though. I think they knock one big name team off this year and play in a decent bowl game.

TCU --- 4-0 team. I haven't seen a lick of them so I have no clue, honestly.

Oklahoma State --- 3-0 team. No knowledge yet here either. Big 12 teams scared of an upset from these guys or are they not a threat?

Connecticut --- 4-0. Quietly building a very nice program here. Dark horse in the Big East could make a push. Donald Brown is nice.


Kentucky caught UL at the right date IMO, and won because of TO. The offense is totally revamped from last season. Rook QB, lost there leading rusher and 5 of top 6 leading wide outs from last season as well. I think they have won some games against weaker teams and they will lose their fair share in the SEC.

UConn -- Not overly impressed and I think they lose to the 'Ville on Friday night night. The defense is not as good as it was supposed to be and the offense isn't that great either.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Teams I Need More Info On

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:46 pm

What about Louisville? They had one game where they just didn't show up, but aside from that they've been good. Seeing as the Big East is terrible, they could make a good bowl game.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:48 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact