2009 Draft! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

2009 Draft!

Moderator: Football Moderators

2009 Draft!

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:38 am

Well, is there anyone here that doesnt think the Liedowns will have a top 2 pick in the draft next year?

So, who should they be looking at? I know they could easily go BPA and still be drafting for need (unless its at WR of course).

I guess I would like this to be somewhat serious so that I can try and keep an eye on some people during the college season. That being said, who are the players most people are talking about as being high draft picks next yr? Are there any LTs in the Jake Long mold? What about DEs? MLBers?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Draft!

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:12 am

I've always liked Laranautis (sp?) but he hasn't been all that impressive this year.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 am

Almost have to go with a trade. We have too much coin tied up in Redding, White, Franchise, and Backus to sign a top draft pick. If we were to have the top pick I would like Knowshon Moreno, RB out of Georgia. Not only does he look like he could be an impact player, but he already has a Lions-like name: Knowshon. Sounds close enough to No Show.

Not that it matters with our current crop of morons running things. They would draft someone then follow it by drafting a project in the second round.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:29 am

moochman wrote:Almost have to go with a trade. We have too much coin tied up in Redding, White, Franchise, and Backus to sign a top draft pick. If we were to have the top pick I would like Knowshon Moreno, RB out of Georgia. Not only does he look like he could be an impact player, but he already has a Lions-like name: Knowshon. Sounds close enough to No Show.

Not that it matters with our current crop of morons running things. They would draft someone then follow it by drafting a project in the second round.

i agree with Mooch...we are approcahing Salary Cap Hell. hopefully there will be someone interested in the Top 5 pick we will have and we can trade down and take an OL or DL that is projected to go 15 picks later and maybe land a 2nd rounder in the deal that we can take an injury prone project with

even if there's a top QB prospect i think we have to pass to shore up the OL or DL at all costs. hopefully Nimrod will let Stanton play some games in about 5 weeks when we are out of the playoff hunt so we can see what he doesnt have
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:39 am

Seriously? You guys want to trade back for more picks? I understand the slary cap issue, but trading back just seems to me that we wont get anyone of value again next yr either. I have no faith that the braintrust can draft a player outside of the top 5 and have him be NFL quality, so why not ust let us take the unquestioned top player at his position and be done with it?

If there is a Jake Long type LT coming out this yr I would have a hard time passing him up. Screw Backus - just cut his sorry ash.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Seriously? You guys want to trade back for more picks? I understand the slary cap issue, but trading back just seems to me that we wont get anyone of value again next yr either. I have no faith that the braintrust can draft a player outside of the top 5 and have him be NFL quality, so why not ust let us take the unquestioned top player at his position and be done with it?

If there is a Jake Long type LT coming out this yr I would have a hard time passing him up. Screw Backus - just cut his sorry ash.

i'm all for it if we can work it cap wise, but i'm just worried if we sign the #1 pick to a record deal with the money we have tied up in 4 or 5 other players we'll be filling out our roster with trash...which, we are anyway :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I have no faith that the braintrust can draft a player outside of the top 5 and have him be NFL quality, so why not ust let us take the unquestioned top player at his position and be done with it?

Hold on CBM, I'll quote you:

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Seriously?

Seriously? You want to keep the pick? I understand the unquestioned top player at his position, but keeping the pick just seems to me that we wont get anyone of value again next yr either. I have no faith that the braintrust can draft a player inside of the top 5 and have him be NFL quality, so why not just let us take more picks and have the hopes that one will pan out and be done with it?

:-b

#3 pick - Joey Harrington
#2 pick - Charles Rogers
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:49 pm

All I want to know is if there is a cant miss LT or DE like Jake Long coming out this year.

Good points about Rogers and Harrington though. I thought Rogers they just got unlucky with because of his injuries, but Joey Blue Skies did suck.

I just cant see how they could pass up an elite player at a position of need in the next draft.

As for all the draft talk, the season is already over, so why not? This is clearly a team that will compete for the top draft pick, so why not start scouting now, its not like we have to worry about someone taking them ahead of us like last yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:All I want to know is if there is a cant miss LT or DE like Jake Long coming out this year.

Good points about Rogers and Harrington though. I thought Rogers they just got unlucky with because of his injuries, but Joey Blue Skies did suck.

I just cant see how they could pass up an elite player at a position of need in the next draft.

As for all the draft talk, the season is already over, so why not? This is clearly a team that will compete for the top draft pick, so why not start scouting now, its not like we have to worry about someone taking them ahead of us like last yr.

Ahh, we get to the crux of the matter: An elite player at a position of need. First one need ID the area of need. That would be every where but WR. Everywhere.
We have no answers at QB. NONE!!!
We have sub-par RBs and no depth. If I am not mistaken Rudi can fly after this season, no? If he does well, why would he stay?
We have weakness at every position on the O-line but have too much cash tied up in Backus, Midget Riola, and that mean son-of-gun Cherilous.
We have no tight end. NONE!!!
We have holes throughout our D-line. Cannot put pressure on the QB or stop the run sounds like a trouble area to me. But we have too much cash tied up in White and the highest paid interior lineman Redding.
We have one or two LBs who could play on other teams. We need a MLB who can stop the run, and OLB who can tackle.
Our secondary is putrid. We need a CB or S who can pound like a rock, tackle, and cover.

So who do you like? I like to trade down for more picks or a player and a pick. But none of this will interest me at all, except for a torturous laugh-fest, Marinelli and Millen are fired. Otherwise it doesn't matter, they'll get it wrong.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:All I want to know is if there is a cant miss LT or DE like Jake Long coming out this year.

I hear what you're saying and know what you are looking for. I honestly think it is a good thread to see who is going to be the next impact player at the top of the draftboard, but for the Lions sake, like Mooch mentioned, they just have way too many holes to bank on 1 player coming in and making a difference.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Return to Detroit Lions