Does this mean Millen might get let go? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does this mean Millen might get let go?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Does this mean Millen might get let go?

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 am

dream_017 wrote:
dgan wrote:Too bad it put Detroit in neutral for the better part of a decade.

We would be happy with neutral. We are not even close to neutral for the last decade, it has been a steep decline :-P

I think it was ESPN showing a stat since 2001 the Lions have had the most losses in football and 10 more losses then the Raiders. :-o
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Bob Wojnowski
Ford Jr. is right, Millen should walk away from Lions

ALLEN PARK -- Frustration is growing and bubbling, from furious fans to the owner's family. The Lions are careening toward historic humiliation -- sure, 0-16 is possible -- and there's no visible way to stop it. In fact, there's only one way to slow it.

Lions President and General Manager Matt Millen should do the honorable thing and walk away, today, tomorrow, soon. We can rant all we want about the coach and the quarterback and the defensive coordinator, but Millen delivered the bulk of this garbage. Owner William Clay Ford Sr. has been too loyal (or gutless) to fire him, so Millen should resign, for the good of all involved.

The owner's son, Bill Ford Jr., made precisely that suggestion Monday after speaking at the Detroit Economic Club. I echo the plea, and I guarantee almost every Lions fan does as well.

"It's embarrassing," Ford Jr. said. "The fans deserve better, and if I had the authority, I'd fire the general manager."

Asked again if he thought Millen should leave, Ford Jr. said, "Yes I do."

It's painfully, brutally obvious.

It's also clear there's an unfortunate disconnect between the owner and his son, which doesn't help.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... SPORTS0101
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 pm

dgan wrote:Too bad it put Detroit in neutral for the better part of a decade. Actually, as a Packer fan, I kind of enjoy it. Your GM is a stupid nice guy. Our GM is a smart pompous jerk.

Actually, I don't think Millen is a nice guy either. A GM who calls a former player that he cut a "fag", and questioned a player's courage by saying "Where are you testicles?" becuase a player's practice performance didn't translate to games, isn't a nice person. He is a little person who knows just enough to know he shouldn't voice his opinion on others. No doubt one of the reasons he never talks to the media unless it's in a controlled situation, and even then it's a rarity.

It is ironic that a guy who thinks of himself as being tough and wants his team to be that way builds one of the mentally and physically weakest teams in the league.

And I would think that as a Packer fan you would really rather have the Lions be good. Much better to hate a team that is good, and way sweeter to beat.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dgan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 pm

moochman wrote:
dgan wrote:Too bad it put Detroit in neutral for the better part of a decade. Actually, as a Packer fan, I kind of enjoy it. Your GM is a stupid nice guy. Our GM is a smart pompous jerk.

Actually, I don't think Millen is a nice guy either. A GM who calls a former player that he cut a "fag", and questioned a player's courage by saying "Where are you testicles?" becuase a player's practice performance didn't translate to games, isn't a nice person. He is a little person who knows just enough to know he shouldn't voice his opinion on others. No doubt one of the reasons he never talks to the media unless it's in a controlled situation, and even then it's a rarity.

It is ironic that a guy who thinks of himself as being tough and wants his team to be that way builds one of the mentally and physically weakest teams in the league.

And I would think that as a Packer fan you would really rather have the Lions be good. Much better to hate a team that is good, and way sweeter to beat.

I have enough teams I hate right now...I'm running out of space. Detroit is like that annoying co-worker that you don't like, but just avoid talking to unless you have to. :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 am

According to Jay Glazer of FOX sports http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8601458/Millen-out-as-Lions-president,-GM
Matt Millen is gone.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Lions have finally removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, unseating one of the most criticized executives in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office and he made his way around to different employees telling them of the move.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

The Lions have started off horribly and the groundswell for Millen's demise has once again been strong. Unfortunately, that's nothing new as there have been events like the Millen Man March, an in-game walkout protest and calls for Millen's firing for years.

The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001. They have also been a model of futility on the road and Millen has gone through three head coaches, none of whom have been able to turn the Lions into a winner

I have no idea who they will have to follow DoorMatt, but they will surely have their hands full. One should expect that Marinelli is next unless the Fords hire someone with the stipulation that they keep the worse head coach in the league. Thank goodness that Millens' reign of error is now over.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby ivesaidway2much » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:06 am

My condolences to Bears, Packers, and Vikings fans.:(
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tvv44 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:01 pm

moochman wrote:According to Jay Glazer of FOX sports http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8601458/Millen-out-as-Lions-president,-GM
Matt Millen is gone.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Lions have finally removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, unseating one of the most criticized executives in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office and he made his way around to different employees telling them of the move.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

The Lions have started off horribly and the groundswell for Millen's demise has once again been strong. Unfortunately, that's nothing new as there have been events like the Millen Man March, an in-game walkout protest and calls for Millen's firing for years.

The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001. They have also been a model of futility on the road and Millen has gone through three head coaches, none of whom have been able to turn the Lions into a winner

I have no idea who they will have to follow DoorMatt, but they will surely have their hands full. One should expect that Marinelli is next unless the Fords hire someone with the stipulation that they keep the worse head coach in the league. Thank goodness that Millens' reign of error is now over.

This just made my day! Thank you Fords for finally pulling your head out of your a$$! ;-D
tvv44
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk