Defensive scoring error by commish - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Defensive scoring error by commish

Moderator: Football Moderators

Defensive scoring error by commish

Postby rcktfn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:46 pm

We just found out that there was a mistake in the defensive scoring in our league.
Specifically in PA, or Points Against, there is a mistake:
0 - 6 PA = 8 points
7 - 13 PA = 5 points
14 - 20 PA = 0 points *(should be 2 points)
21 - 27 PA = 2 points *(should be 0 points)
No one caught it untill this week. It affects 3 games that have already been played. 1 win turns into a tie, 1 tie turns into a win, and it reverses the win/lose for 1 game. We're probably going to fix this for future games.

How would you handle this?

I started a poll on our league message board asking everyone to vote:
1. Leave completed games alone. It was everyone's responsibility to check the scoring before hand.
2. Yes, fix past games. it was an obvious mistake and teams shouldn't be penalized for it
rcktfn
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Defensive scoring error by commish

Postby dupree » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:52 pm

I think by default in ESPN all scoring changes retroactively affect completed games and personally I think this is the proper thing to do...the agreed upon rules at the beginning of the season were indeed the "expected" values of:

14 - 20 PA = 2 points
21 - 27 PA = 0 points

and therefore all games past and future should be scored based on the "intended" rules in this case.

and anyone that claims they made any decisions for their starting line-up/draft choices is full of it. I put this in the same boat as stat corrections the point is to "Get it right" not make people happy.

There is no grey in this one...no one purposefully sets things 14-20=0 and 21-27=2....it would be sticky if it was something like the pts/yard or trying to retroactively institute PPR (assuming that neither were clearly stated in an announcement PRIOR to the draft and just poorly implemented by the commish).

The only argument for keeping the scores with the erroneous scoring set-up would be the arguement that "dem are da rules" and in that case then the 14-20=0 and 21-27=2 should remain in place for the rest of the season which is just absurd.

My .02 but of course in the end it is your league and you guys still have to figure it out.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Defensive scoring error by commish

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 am

rcktfn wrote:We just found out that there was a mistake in the defensive scoring in our league.
Specifically in PA, or Points Against, there is a mistake:
0 - 6 PA = 8 points
7 - 13 PA = 5 points
14 - 20 PA = 0 points *(should be 2 points)
21 - 27 PA = 2 points *(should be 0 points)
No one caught it untill this week. It affects 3 games that have already been played. 1 win turns into a tie, 1 tie turns into a win, and it reverses the win/lose for 1 game. We're probably going to fix this for future games.

How would you handle this?

I started a poll on our league message board asking everyone to vote:
1. Leave completed games alone. It was everyone's responsibility to check the scoring before hand.
2. Yes, fix past games. it was an obvious mistake and teams shouldn't be penalized for it

I think you're doing the right thing already. Let the league speak and do what the league wants. I try to do that as much as possible in all the leagues I commish. We had the same thing happen in 1 league last year and we ended up just leaving it. We didn't vote, the commish (not me) made the decision and there were no objections. Personally I'd probably say to leave it or fix it but not change previous games. Just my .02. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Return to Commissioner's Corner