Bulger to sit... Trent Green says "Remember me?" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bulger to sit... Trent Green says "Remember me?"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bulger to sit... Trent Green says "Remember me?"

Postby PuntinFool » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Oh ... oh no. St. Louis fans, you guys should just start rooting for the team playing in the nearest city to St. Louis. Per Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Marc Bulger will be benched this week for Trent Green.

No other details are available yet, so we'll see if Bulger is healthy. If he is, this is a desperate move by a desperate team, and we doubt it will go well. Green is below league average as a starter and is unlikely to ignite this offense. Bulger signed a big contract last year, but his future with the organization is now in question. Fantasy owners should get the news confirmed, then feel free to drop him.

I like the idea of putting in a guy who has been concussed left and right behind an offensive line that has been letting Bulger get obliterated. I think it's gotta be some sort of cruelty. I know Torry Holt and Steven Jackson feel it's cruelty already to them.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bulger to sit... Trent Green says "Remember me?"

Postby Houser33 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm

What a sad state of affairs. How is it even Bulgers fault? Teams know they are going to pass because A) their O-line cant run block worth a crap and B) they spot 21 pt 1st quarter leads every game. Good luck Trent. I wonder if Vermeil will cry at his funeral.
Houser33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shagworth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Is the STL season so bad that letting a player die on field is an option. All Trent Green needs is one LB to get a open blind-side sack on him, and he could very well die. I really hope he twists or sprains something to get him outta there quick.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:37 pm

shagworth wrote:Is the STL season so bad that letting a player die on field is an option. All Trent Green needs is one LB to get a open blind-side sack on him, and he could very well die. I really hope he twists or sprains something to get him outta there quick.

This just isn't true, yes he had has concussions before, but do you think he could be medically cleared if there was a higher risk for him to die than any other player who would be blind-sided? I hardly think so.

I see this as a move to preserve Bulgar, send a message to the rest of the team, and throw this season to the dogs.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Popcynical » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 pm

So glad I picked up the Buffalo D off the waivers for this week.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby PuntinFool » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:34 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I see this as a move to preserve Bulgar, send a message to the rest of the team, and throw this season to the dogs.

Oof, three weeks in and they're hanging up the cleats? Can't say I disagree... it just looks abysmal over there. Preserving Bulger until after the Week 5 bye might be smart to keep him healthy, but putting in Green just makes me nervous for the guy. Medically cleared or not, I want the Rams coaches to put him in a pillow suit.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Torry Holt was dropped in my money league today. This is the day before waivers are run, so no pickup was made. Owner was so frustrated he just sent him packing.

Too bad I have waiver # 3.

There's a chance that Trent Green could turn this thing around real quick since he knows the Saunders system so well.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Torry Holt was dropped in my money league today. This is the day before waivers are run, so no pickup was made. Owner was so frustrated he just sent him packing.

Too bad I have waiver # 3.

There's a chance that Trent Green could turn this thing around real quick since he knows the Saunders system so well.

To early to dump on a good offense. The line will have to get a little better as the season goes on (maybe they will deal for Anderson from the Ravens) and Holt/Jax will keep some decent value, top 15-20 at each position at worse.

Bulger, ehh. I just grabbed him for a 4th round pick in my dynasty, and am hoping for an injury-free season.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:34 pm

How old is Trent Green, I mean in football years? There cannot be much tread left on those tires. It sickens me to see how head coaches are duped into hiring old geezers as back-up QBs. Don't they understand that their future relies on some creaky old fart and his bad wheels and oft battered cranium?

On the flip side, does this mean more dump off passes to Jackson? Does Green have enough arm strength to throw to Holt?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dgan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:59 pm

The question isn't arm strength...it is time in the pocket. They can't get the ball downfield because they can't block anyone.

It really is a cruel irony that Trent had that injury just as the team was hitting its prime, is left for dead, shipped away, and now returns just in time to scatter the remaining ashes of the offense he probably would have led for over a decade if not for the injury.

I put in a waiver request on a flyer - I've been holding Cadillac for next year, but after losing Brady, I need all the warm bodies at QB I can get. Maybe one will surprise. You can't underestimate what can happen in the NFL, but teams like St Louis and Kansas City are so bad that a change like this has little chance to have any effect.

Feel bad for Trent...one of the classiest of the well-travelled QBs. It shouldn't end this way.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk