is this a bad trade? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

is this a bad trade?

Moderator: Football Moderators

is this a bad trade?

Postby vietb0i » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:44 am

Hey guys is this a trade that is worth a veto or should I just let it go through?

Team A gets: Philip Rivers, Chad Ocho Cinco

Team B gets: Julius Jones
vietb0i
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: is this a bad trade?

Postby padrino990_200 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:41 am

unless they are working together you cant veto. dont veto just because you are jealous or dont like the trade
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Goody » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Why do you think it should be vetoed? No matter how lopsided or uneven a trade is, the only time a trade should be vetoed is if 2 owners are colluding (cheating). Even in this case, this trade is not lopsided or unreasonable, I don't understand why you even need to ask if it should be vetoed. :-S
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:56 pm

While in this case I agree that the deal does not deserve a veto, I think the two guys above me are jokes.

How can you ever prove collusion in order to veto? A league has a LM to maintain some level of competition, and if two teams make an extremely lopsided deal it is the LMs job to veto that deal to protect the integrity of the league.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vietb0i » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:38 pm

lol i would never veto a trade due to jealousy..why would i even be jealous in the first place. chad johnson isnt actually doing much right now and julius jones will be sharing carries once maurice morris comes back. then the wrs will be back which will let hassel throw more. I only veto trades when its lopsided enough. Hence thats why i asked. Anyways thanks for the advice.
vietb0i
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Spartan03 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 pm

Bobbleheadrusty, by having the LM veto trades out of his own judgment of fairness, you're going down a very slippery slope. Where would you draw the line? You're essentially managing other people's teams for them.

Example: What if one of the owners has a gut feeling Player A will have a breakout season and Player B is due to bust, but you disagree and veto it? How pissed off would you be if you were in that guy's shoes when you vetoed his trade, he was right on the mark, and he misses the playoffs by a few points? What can you say to that guy? "Oops I messed up? Better luck next year."

I do understand if a trade is extremely lopsided, like say a healthy LT for Leon Washington, but that's where you suspect collusion and investigate. If there's no reason to suspect collusion in a trade, you leave it alone. As long as both owners think they are improving their teams, who are you to say it's not good enough? The other guys are right. Collusion should be the only time a trade is vetoed. Anything else, and you're doing your leaguemates a disservice. Let your owners learn on their own not to make bonehead trades. That's the only way they will ever get any better at evaluating them.
Spartan03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Spartan03 wrote:Bobbleheadrusty, by having the LM veto trades out of his own judgment of fairness, you're going down a very slippery slope. Where would you draw the line? You're essentially managing other people's teams for them.

Example: What if one of the owners has a gut feeling Player A will have a breakout season and Player B is due to bust, but you disagree and veto it? How pissed off would you be if you were in that guy's shoes when you vetoed his trade, he was right on the mark, and he misses the playoffs by a few points? What can you say to that guy? "Oops I messed up? Better luck next year."

I do understand if a trade is extremely lopsided, like say a healthy LT for Leon Washington, but that's where you suspect collusion and investigate. If there's no reason to suspect collusion in a trade, you leave it alone. As long as both owners think they are improving their teams, who are you to say it's not good enough? The other guys are right. Collusion should be the only time a trade is vetoed. Anything else, and you're doing your leaguemates a disservice. Let your owners learn on their own not to make bonehead trades. That's the only way they will ever get any better at evaluating them.

Don't get me wrong, its gotta be ridiculous for me to even think about vetoing, but I think the "collusion only" folks are unrealistic. Short of a confession you will never be able to prove collusion, and you cant base the need for a veto on that alone. If a deal is so lopsided that collusion MAY be a factor then you have to consider a veto, and if the deal is below that level then the veto is definitely called for.

I say that, but in my primary league there has NEVER been a veto.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby padrino990_200 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:30 am

bobbleheadcrusty, first off dont call me a joke.

and basically what you are saying and what i am saying is the same thing, so i guess that makes you a joke too. i'm not saying that you need to prove collusion in a court of law, i'm saying you cant just veto a trade based on what you think the value is. alot of people do this and its totally wrong. LM shouldnt even have vetoes unless no one knows anyone else in a league. a league of friends should be able to monitor themselves.
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Script-Ohio » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 am

This is lopsided enough to where I'd ask the guy getting Jones why he's making this trade, but I'd have a hard time vetoing it. It's possible he thinks Jones will hold onto the starter spot and not share carries and be a solid starting RB all year I suppose, but it's lopsided enough to ask him.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner