Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 am

According to Jay Glazer of FOX sports Matt Millen is no longer the GM of the Detroit Lions. Wooohooooooooo!
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8601458/Millen-out-as-Lions-president,-GM

FOXSports.com has learned that the Lions have finally removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, unseating one of the most criticized executives in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office and he made his way around to different employees telling them of the move.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

The Lions have started off horribly and the groundswell for Millen's demise has once again been strong. Unfortunately, that's nothing new as there have been events like the Millen Man March, an in-game walkout protest and calls for Millen's firing for years.

The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001. They have also been a model of futility on the road and Millen has gone through three head coaches, none of whom have been able to turn the Lions into a winner

Believe in Now? No, but maybe now we can believe a little in tomorrow.

Who is next?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Postby WannabeGuru » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:20 am

The problem is we still have the idiots who hired Millen running things, but this is a GREAT step 1
WannabeGuru
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:06 am

cant wait to bring in a new coach/scheme that all our players are totally wrong for...although i'm not opposed to another complete do-over 5 year plan
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:18 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:cant wait to bring in a new coach/scheme that all our players are totally wrong for...although i'm not opposed to another complete do-over 5 year plan

I'm opposed to it if we hire another inexperienced coach.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:37 am

Woot!

I got promoted last week, and that's now the second best thing to happen to me this week! ;-D

Regardless if they have to "start over" at least we can feel better knowing the next guy can't be any worse.
Jacoby Ellsbury - Official Red Sox prospect of the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
bigken117
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeBaseball Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 am

It is actually sad that Wednesday September 24th 2008 is one of the best days in Lions history.

Let's all go out for a round of drinks ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby scrumtalecent » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:50 am

dream_017 wrote:It is actually sad that Wednesday September 24th 2008 is one of the best days in Lions history.

I would not say it's one of the best days, although I would say that January 8, 2001 was one of the worst for Lions fans. Millen had nothing to do with most of the first 50 years of exactly one playoff win. Why will it change now?
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:51 am

scrumtalecent wrote:
dream_017 wrote:It is actually sad that Wednesday September 24th 2008 is one of the best days in Lions history.

I would not say it's one of the best days, although I would say that January 8, 2001 was one of the worst for Lions fans. Millen had nothing to do with most of the first 50 years of exactly one playoff win. Why will it change now?

It may not, but at least for the time being there is some hope.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:05 pm

fREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, PRAISE THE LAWD, FREE AT LAST! I want to cover my truck in blue and white streamers, tie tin cans the bumper, write MILLEN IS GONE! on all my windows, and drive to Detroit so I can circle Ford Field and fire gun shots in the air while drink whiskey straight out of the bottle.

What a PERFECT early birthday present for me (mine is Friday). Now if only an angry mob with rakes and torches would assemble in Allen Park, and drag Millen from the premises then decapitate him and skewer his severed head on a post in front of Ford Field for all of Detroit to see.

Even though I live an hour and a half south of Green Bay, I am seriously going to decorate my truck after work tonight. I'll be in the UP this weekend for a wedding, so I will DEFINATELY celebrate then.

It won't fix all our problems tomorrow, it probably won't solve everything this year, and it might not fix everything for 5 years, but THANK GOD, it's a bit step in the right direction. I can only hope that they are smart enough to hire somebody an EXPERIENCED competent GM that will put a GOOD coaching staff in place and start drafting and signing players who will make a difference.
Last edited by AngryLionsFAn on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Congratulations. Mooch, I know you'll be celebrating, if you aren't already. This is the first step to revitalizing your franchise. ;-D

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Detroit Lions