Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:26 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:
dream_017 wrote:It is actually sad that Wednesday September 24th 2008 is one of the best days in Lions history.

Let's all go out for a round of drinks ;-D

I would not say it's one of the best days, although I would say that January 8, 2001 was one of the worst for Lions fans. Millen had nothing to do with most of the first 50 years of exactly one playoff win. Why will it change now?

Sorry, I forgot my ;-7
Although, I did say one of the, not the best day. Maybe I should have said one of the best days that anyone was alive for.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:14 pm

This is a day that nobody will forget. No matter who they hire, they will be better than millen. WOOOOT!!
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:23 pm

I can't believe we are finally rid of the Reign of Millen!

Good news for sure, but is this to appease us for going 23-84 over the next 7 years with someone else??

This news will only be made better with the announcement that Ol' man Ford has sold the team, or kicked the bucket.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby scrumtalecent » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 pm

dream_017 wrote:
scrumtalecent wrote:
dream_017 wrote:It is actually sad that Wednesday September 24th 2008 is one of the best days in Lions history.

Let's all go out for a round of drinks ;-D

I would not say it's one of the best days, although I would say that January 8, 2001 was one of the worst for Lions fans. Millen had nothing to do with most of the first 50 years of exactly one playoff win. Why will it change now?

Sorry, I forgot my ;-7
Although, I did say one of the, not the best day. Maybe I should have said one of the best days that anyone was alive for.

I'm just saying I don't see the glee in all of this. He got hired and he got fired. Meh. Now were right back where we were 7 years ago. How exciting! I read some people renewed their season tickets because of this. What?? They're still the Lions. They still have no one to block for anyone, no real QB of the future, not much of a defense, a seemingly horrible coach with no prior experience, and an older than dirt owner that took years longer than anyone else to realize (care) who was running this show into the ground. I would like to say that because of the law of averages and the parity in this league, the Lions will have a chance to win in a couple years (a few of you had them already winning this year), but it seems the only law that applies to the Lions is Moore's Law (If something can go wrong, it will (and already has)).
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:I'm just saying I don't see the glee in all of this. He got hired and he got fired. Meh. Now were right back where we were 7 years ago. How exciting! I read some people renewed their season tickets because of this. What?? They're still the Lions. They still have no one to block for anyone, no real QB of the future, not much of a defense, a seemingly horrible coach with no prior experience, and an older than dirt owner that took years longer than anyone else to realize (care) who was running this show into the ground. I would like to say that because of the law of averages and the parity in this league, the Lions will have a chance to win in a couple years (a few of you had them already winning this year), but it seems the only law that applies to the Lions is Moore's Law (If something can go wrong, it will (and already has)).

So we should have kept him? We should be upset he was fired? Do you know where we were 7 years and 3 games ago? The prior 7 years and 3 games we were 57-58 with 5 playoff appearances. I'll take that over 31-84 and ZERO playoff appearances anyday. Do we still have problems, yes, but that is mostly because of Millen. He is the one who built this mess, but now he is gone and that is our glee. Of course it is going to take some time to re-build this mess of a team, but now there is hope. With Millen there was no hope...none.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 pm

dream_017 wrote:
scrumtalecent wrote:I'm just saying I don't see the glee in all of this. He got hired and he got fired. Meh. Now were right back where we were 7 years ago. How exciting! I read some people renewed their season tickets because of this. What?? They're still the Lions. They still have no one to block for anyone, no real QB of the future, not much of a defense, a seemingly horrible coach with no prior experience, and an older than dirt owner that took years longer than anyone else to realize (care) who was running this show into the ground. I would like to say that because of the law of averages and the parity in this league, the Lions will have a chance to win in a couple years (a few of you had them already winning this year), but it seems the only law that applies to the Lions is Moore's Law (If something can go wrong, it will (and already has)).

So we should have kept him? We should be upset he was fired? Do you know where we were 7 years and 3 games ago? The prior 7 years and 3 games we were 57-58 with 5 playoff appearances. I'll take that over 31-84 and ZERO playoff appearances anyday. Do we still have problems, yes, but that is mostly because of Millen. He is the one who built this mess, but now he is gone and that is our glee. Of course it is going to take some time to re-build this mess of a team, but now there is hope. With Millen there was no hope...none.

That is the bottom line now: There is hope for the future. We all knew Millen sucked, and for some of us his imcompetence had sucked the hope right out of our football souls. Last season I felt myself slipping toward a hopeless abyss upon realization that yet another Millen draft and coaching hire were wastes. This year's version of more of the same left me with a dark pit of dispair and as close to dispassion as this football lover has ever been. Now there is hope.
While I have no expectations for this season and have great reservation toward what move Lord Ford will make next, there is hope. Honor that hope on this most glorious and righteous firing, Scrum. There will be plenty of time for fearing the worse in the days that come.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:00 am

dream_017 wrote:

So we should have kept him? Of course not.

We should be upset he was fired?
Never did I remotely say this. Even with this crappy team, I still said we may be only a couple years away from a winning season.

Do you know where we were 7 years and 3 games ago? The prior 7 years and 3 games we were 57-58 with 5 playoff appearances.
Those were the times I wouldn't miss a game for nothing. Why? Barry Sanders. Herman Moore and Perriman were nice, but a hall of fame RB will do that for you. What'd we get for him when he left? Nothing. Sure, if another Barry Sanders falls into their lap, then great. If that man turns out to be Kevin Smith, well, then, wonderful.

Do we still have problems, yes
Good point.

Of course it is going to take some time to re-build this mess of a team, but now there is hope. With Millen there was no hope...none.
Check out some of the Lion's predictions post in this forum for this year. Many people had hope, only to have those hopes dashed by this debacle of a team. There's always hope. Was it all Millen's fault? Of course not. Blame goes all around this team. To me, the excitement of the firing of Millen is like the excitement behind Kevin Smith being named the starting back. Many people got excited over this kid (hopefully there is still reason to do so). "The tandum of CJ and RW will open up the field for him!!!" Um, he's a rookie RB from the third round. "Who cares!!?? He's better than anything else we got! He's gonna be awesome!!" Come back to reality, sheep...

Maybe I've removed myself from the normal manic fandom, but I'd like to see fans with more levelheadedness than jumping on the bandwagon of every new coach, GM, free agent pickup, and draft pick. The games can be exciting. When the Lions are good, they'll be fun to watch. A firing of a bad GM? Again, meh. :-°
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 am

scrumtalecent wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Of course it is going to take some time to re-build this mess of a team, but now there is hope. With Millen there was no hope...none.

Check out some of the Lion's predictions post in this forum for this year. Many people had hope, only to have those hopes dashed by this debacle of a team. There's always hope.

Did you read the same prediction thread as me? Hope? Where?
3-13
6-10
9-7 - CBM
4-12
6-10
8-8 - mine
13-3 - this was by RW, and I am willing to bet he really didn't think they would go 13-3

So, hope is 1 person picking them to go above .500....by 1 game. That is not hope. Again look at the previos 7 years before Millen....we were at .500, so hope is getting back to where we were.

scrumtalecent wrote:
dream_017 wrote:We should be upset he was fired?

Never did I remotely say this. Even with this crappy team, I still said we may be only a couple years away from a winning season.

You did say that "I'm just saying I don't see the glee in all of this." So, what is the opposite of glee? Guess what last year, we were a couple years away from a winning season...and the year before that....and the year before that....and the year before that....and the year before that....and the year before that....I think that is 7 O:-)

If you don't see why fans are in a good mood(happy, gleeful, excited) about this decision, I guess I don't know what else to say :-S
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:58 am

You don't have to say anything, Dream. We obviously differ in opinion, so feel free to leave it at that. I like the meaningless banter, so I will continue. ;-D

For me, the hope was seen in the three people that thought they would have a better record than last year. Heck, 8-8 might get you in the playoffs in this league sometimes.

Although I do fell it's horrid that the new Lions motto now that he's gone is "We can't get any worse!", I didn't say everyone should be the opposite of gleeful. I'm glad he's gone, yes. But I'm not going to get excited about it or be "gleeful" about it. I'm not going to go try to get some season tickets or start going to their games or start buying their merchandise. I feel if Ford Sr. was gone, there'd be more liklihood they'd be better sooner. With him still at the helm, we're probably going to need another hall of famer to get us another win in the playoffs before we are destroyed in the next game by the eventual SB champion. Even then, I might go get myself another jersey, quit throwing away all my Lions garbage that may let someone assume I back this team, and maybe even go watch a game at Ford Field because at least they look good: excitement is merited. By last sentences said what I feel best. There are too many people that get ecstatic (that is, more than glad) over every new change on this team, it's ridiculous. I say, Get real, people. It's just another meaningless change on a woeful team. Nothing to see here. Move along...
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:07 am

scrumtalecent wrote:We obviously differ in opinion, so feel free to leave it at that.

:-°
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions