Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ding Dong, Matt Millen's gone!!!

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:22 am

word.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:45 am

Scrum, you mentioned about everybody jumping on the bandwagon because of the Millen axing, but I look at it differently. I don't look at it as jumping on the bandwagon but celebrating an exercisim. I have no delusions that this team is capable of turing it around for at least three years and only then if we find the right GM and head coach.
The facts are clear:
We have very little talent on both sides of the ball
We have our O leaders in Roy and Kitna who seem not to be liking the new OCs
We have a prize rookie RB who probably loses his job to retread Rudi
We have our second best WR who is gone at the end of the season
We have a poor O-line and a jittery rookie RT
We have 11 D linemen and none of them can pressure the QB or stop the run
We have one starting LB
We have a terrible secondary, in both pass and run coverage and tackling
We have a head coach who never has his team prepared to play
We have a head coach who has no idea how to manage a game
We have a terrible DC who is the son-in-law of our terrible head coach
We have a terrible O line coach, who is the father-in-law of the son-in-law (or some sort of familty combo)
We have a terrible special teams coach
We have a terrible OC combo
We have a head coach who refuses to play young players
We are the 4th oldest team in the league

So if we luck into the best GM/head coaching combo it will still be three years before they can field a playoff pretender.

Did I really pick this team to go 6-10? Sometimes I let my optimism go wild.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 am

moochman wrote:Scrum, you mentioned about everybody jumping on the bandwagon because of the Millen axing, but I look at it differently. I don't look at it as jumping on the bandwagon but celebrating an exercisim.

That's funny you mention exorcism:

Roy Williams says he's "fed up" and believes the Lions' organization could be cursed.
Analysis: An indication he won't re-sign after the season? Roy is in a contract year. "Everybody would like to go back home as they get older," he said. "My home is Texas. Are they going to trade me in the middle of the season like Chris Chambers last year? I think this place is cursed. I asked our chaplain if he knew anyone who could christen Ford Field to get it right for us."

Good stuff, Roy.

Hey, celebrate all you want Lion fans. If we go another 10 or 20 years without a playoff win, let me know how that went for you.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:
Hey, celebrate all you want Lion fans. If we go another 10 or 20 years without a playoff win, let me know how that went for you.

See, this is what I have a problem with. You think Millen was on the way to taking us to the playoffs....let alone a playoff win 8-o So, we had a better chance of succeeding by keeping Millen then by firing him. You think we are worse off by firing him? :-S :-S :-S
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:47 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:
moochman wrote:Scrum, you mentioned about everybody jumping on the bandwagon because of the Millen axing, but I look at it differently. I don't look at it as jumping on the bandwagon but celebrating an exercisim.

That's funny you mention exorcism:

Roy Williams says he's "fed up" and believes the Lions' organization could be cursed.
Analysis: An indication he won't re-sign after the season? Roy is in a contract year. "Everybody would like to go back home as they get older," he said. "My home is Texas. Are they going to trade me in the middle of the season like Chris Chambers last year? I think this place is cursed. I asked our chaplain if he knew anyone who could christen Ford Field to get it right for us."

Good stuff, Roy.

Wait, wait... Did you really jump ship to become a Packers fan? ew.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:58 pm

dream_017 wrote:See, this is what I have a problem with. You think Millen was on the way to taking us to the playoffs....let alone a playoff win 8-o So, we had a better chance of succeeding by keeping Millen then by firing him. You think we are worse off by firing him? :-S :-S :-S

What I mean by that last post is that while the hiring of Millen sent this organization back quite a few years, but his firing means...nothing. If the Lions have gone almost 10 years without a playoff game, almost 20 without a playoff win, and over 50 without a championship, who's to say anything is going to change by this firing? I already said I'm glad he's gone. From what I was reading from other fans, it looked like the excitement (celebration) had gone to their heads. His firing gives the fans some more hope. I get that. Beyond that...nothing. People want to celebrate? Great. Me? I'd rather they keep organizing walkouts out of the stadium, keep refraining from buying Lion merchandise and keep staying away from Ford Field in droves so that they start blacking out the games.

Ford didn't listen to the people's screams for YEARS! He listened to some words his son made public. He doesn't care about the fans, and if you don't care about the fans, you're never going to put together a very good football team unless you get incredibly lucky.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
scrumtalecent wrote:Hey, celebrate all you want Lion fans. If we go another 10 or 20 years without a playoff win, let me know how that went for you.

LMAO :-D

Nah, man. Rodgers is on my fantasy football team (that is what this site is about first and foremost.). I have no Lions on my team except for Ernie Sims and haven't had to play him yet. I'm still enough of a fan to watch the games and jump on the bandwagon if it goes by in the next few years. I'm just talking to the giddy ones out there.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:10 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:
scrumtalecent wrote:Hey, celebrate all you want Lion fans. If we go another 10 or 20 years without a playoff win, let me know how that went for you.

LMAO :-D

Nah, man. Rodgers is on my fantasy football team (that is what this site is about first and foremost.). I have no Lions on my team except for Ernie Sims and haven't had to play him yet. I'm still enough of a fan to watch the games and jump on the bandwagon if it goes by in the next few years. I'm just talking to the giddy ones out there.

Ah it just seemed to me in that comment you were acting detached from the team as if you had given up completely.

As for you comments on Millen, of course him being fired doesn't guarantee us a playoff contender in 3 years but it certainly makes it possible. Their are possibilities for this team now and I think that is what people are happy about.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:03 pm

No, Millen getting fired yesterday does nothing for us in the immediate future, and yes, I think it would take at least 2-3 seasons before anyone “turned us around” into a playoff team as well. You have to admit though, that is a SYMBOLIC VICTORY, for all suffering Lions fans everywhere. As long as Millen was around the constant string of poor management decisions and bad scouting and drafting was going to continue to happen. Under Millen, we would still be a perpetual failure. There’s a glimmer of HOPE now, as small as it is. Yes we still have a non-existent Defense and O-line, an Offensive scheme that is struggling to find a new identity, and an over-throwing turn over machine for a QB. But, we don’t have to walk out of games or shut the TV off in disgust and think that that big Fking smiling idiot is cashing his checks without any accountability for how HORRIBLE the team is.

My biggest concern now, is how we handle this transition. If they puss out and “promote from within” then the current ineptitude is bound to continue. What we need is a BIBLICAL FLOOD to come and wash away anyone and everyone associated with Millen and/or our present shortcomings. No more NimRod, no more son-in-law Def coordinators, no more washed up Tampa vets, and no more lame duck incumbent Offensive Coordinators who weren’t coaching efficient positional units to begin with.

Although I will say one thing, Millen’s penchant for “scapegoating” (see Ex. A Mooch) coaching staff has left us in CONSTANT disarray as to what direction the Offense and Def should be going. You can’t install a new scheme, give it a short time frame to implement, and then realize that it wasn’t a big enough band-aid and run to put out the fire with something (someone) else. They need to start from scratch, but have a plan for the future.

They really need to be willing to give someone full control of the team too. Maybe that’s not in WCF’s nature, and maybe that’s a big part of the problem too. I get the feeling that Jr. had quite a bit to do with Millen getting the axe, and I hope that maybe it’s a sign that Sr. is giving some thought in handing the reigns over. What I’m hoping for, is a Parcels type of overhaul. Someone that’s got a proven track record as an actual GM or COACH, and can bring to the team their experience, insight, and hopefully members of their past or present staff that share the same vision. If we let Mayhew take over as GM, it’s gone be the same damn organization if he was simply a “Yes Man” under Millen! Promoting Mayhew would be like saying “I don’t like what George W did to our country, but I’m gonna vote for McCain anyway.”

The team making a request that the NFL offers them some suggestions is a positive step. Let’s cross our fingers and hope for a Cowher or Schottenheimer type of replacement. You guys in Detroit need to start making “COWHER FOR GM IN O9!” signs to bring to games. Although I doubt Cowher would come to Detroit. He’s too damn good at what he’s done to tarnish his record like this. He’d have the stones to get the job done though.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:00 am

Sorry, not as AngryLionsFan, but it sounds as though the immediate tact the Lions are taking is to keep Lewand/Mayhew Pres/GM combo intact until the season is over, and that they are backing Marinelli as their coach this year. This according to detroitlions.com's http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=474765 Chrissie Wywrot.

We have to hope that they make a wholesale change at the end of the year, hopefully including Willie Clay Sr. and Marinelli. We might get lucky and land some competent people in the FO, but we cannot continue to have a coaching moron like Marinelli and his inbred coaching staff around next year. It's one thing to try and built football character, but if that character doesn't include some football intelligence I am not interested.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions