Chambers versus Holmes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chambers versus Holmes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chambers versus Holmes

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am

Both are deep threats for their teams that don't see a lot of targets. Chambers is on a better offense and has done better so far, but Holmes has less competition with other WRs and RBs on his team. Pitt has also had a rougher schedule so far.

Who would you rather have for the rest of the year, and why?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chambers versus Holmes

Postby FatFoot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 am

On draft day, I was all about Holmes (and failed to get him in any league) and I have to say, I'm really surprised at how much less effective Roethlisberger has been this year, as compared to last year. Last year I was honestly blown away by Ben's output. It was a pass-first offense, because FWP sucked so badly. This season FWP has been better, for the most part... so maybe that explains some of it... but Holmes isn't valuable unless Ben is kicking.

Right now Rivers looks like the real deal. Gates isn't blowing anyone away. Chambers is the more valuable receiver, at the moment.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Falyn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:58 am

i like chambers (for now).. when lt is 100 percent SD will go back to pounding the ball even more. Which should limit chambers just a tad. but at the end of the season i see chambers with better numbers.
Falyn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:08 am

FatFoot wrote:On draft day, I was all about Holmes (and failed to get him in any league) and I have to say, I'm really surprised at how much less effective Roethlisberger has been this year, as compared to last year. Last year I was honestly blown away by Ben's output. It was a pass-first offense, because FWP sucked so badly. This season FWP has been better, for the most part... so maybe that explains some of it... but Holmes isn't valuable unless Ben is kicking.

Parker led the league in rushing until he got hurt so I wouldn't say he had an awful year, and Pittsburgh was still 2nd in the league in rushing attempts. He did struggle near the stripe and that infalted Big Ben's numbers a lot. His yardage total was pretty mediocre but he tossed a lot of TD's, a number that should come down to the norm this year. Ben still has a passer rater near 100, he is just getting no time to throw thanks to his O-Line and that's devastating to a deep threat like Holmes.

I think Holmes will bounceback just fine, but I'd take Chambers at this point. If LT's toe problem lingers the Chargers will lean more heavily on the pass and Chambers has proven he can produce in an bad situation (Miami) so he could post very good numbers with a full year in San Diego.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:11 am

I have to go with Chambers. SD will continue to throw and throw effectively. It's not like they have abandoned the run so far.
What bothers me with Holmes is that with the changes in the O-line there seems to be a weekly Big Ben Bash going on. He is already battered and seems to have fallen back to relying on Ward to cover his hiney. While I think Santonio will get more into the action, I doubt he will progress as most of us thought.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:12 pm

Eventually they will get the ball to Holmes consistently. Chambers is a very streaky player who is liable to come up empty in consecutive weeks (not that Holmes hasn't already), but it's going to be Holmes once Roethlisberger gets right, which I believe he will.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:25 pm

I must say Chambers having 6 receptions for the year is rather scary to me. He's scored a TD each game but I am a bit wary of relying on someone only getting a few catches per game so far. I think Holmes has a few more looks so far, Chambers didn't have enough looks to make it into the Looks/Touches for week 3.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 2ksports » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm

I have chambers in every league as I researched him quite a bit. Got him in the 7th round every league. He was avg 75 ypg before going to SD with an offense that couldn't score TDs, and that's why I drafted him. I fi :-° gured his 50ypg were more to do with the mid-season transition. I think he will have quite a few 100yd+ games this year. The 4 TDs so far are a nice bonus. Chambers, now, is worth more than he ever was in Miami, and he was drafted in the 4th round during his Miami days. He's a steal, and Holmes is way overrated because I can get Ward 3 rounds later for the same production.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby FatFoot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Parker led the league in rushing until he got hurt so I wouldn't say he had an awful year, and Pittsburgh was still 2nd in the league in rushing attempts. He did struggle near the stripe and that infalted Big Ben's numbers a lot.

You're right... I was mis-remembering, because of all the games that he lost for me... half of the season he had good or great yardage. Half of the season he got less than 100 yards (many times FAR less) and no TDs. That loses FF games, not NFL games. It was an atrocious RB1 year... but surely a good football year.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk