Browns accused of targeting McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns accused of targeting McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns accused of targeting McGahee

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3608488

Ravens accuse Browns of intentionally injuring McGahee

By James Walker
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: September 25, 2008, 12:36 PM ET

The Baltimore Ravens accused certain Cleveland players of intentionally gouging the eyes of tailback Willis McGahee on two occasions in last Sunday's 28-10 victory against the Browns.

The Ravens reported the incidents by sending tapes to the league office earlier this week.

"We talked to the league," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said during his weekly news conference Wednesday. "We asked them for their opinion on what happened, and we're waiting to hear back on it."

The Ravens are withholding the names they reported to the NFL. But in reviewing the tape, Cleveland middle linebacker Andra Davis is one of the players in question. Davis can be seen reaching under McGahee's visor and poking him in the right eye during a tackle near the goal line midway through the third quarter.

It is unknown who the Ravens believe is the second culprit, but they believe there were two separate cases Sunday that were intentional.

McGahee rushed for 64 yards on 15 carries and a touchdown in the victory against the Browns. So far, he has had limited participation in practice this week because of his eye injury.

"That thing is swollen up badly," Harbaugh said. "As long as he can see, he'll play. But if he can't see, he's not going to be able to play. So we'll have to try to get that swelling down."

This weekend, Baltimore (2-0) has a big game against the Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1) on Monday night in a battle for sole possession of first place in the AFC North. The teams split their season series last year.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Browns accused of targeting McGahee

Postby FatFoot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Nasty stuff. If it's true, it's not a whole lot better than Haynesworth's head stomp.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:27 pm

in a day and age where cameras are on basically every player at all times, it surprises me that people even try this kind of stuff. hopefully it was just an accident, or a heat of the moment thing...otherwise, pretty weak sauce to plan on intentionally hurting someone.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:26 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:in a day and age where cameras are on basically every player at all times, it surprises me that people even try this kind of stuff. hopefully it was just an accident, or a heat of the moment thing...otherwise, pretty weak sauce to plan on intentionally hurting someone.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:30 pm

I would think a stiff fine would be on it's way. If they can prove Davis did it purposefully more than once I see no reason that a suspension wouldn't be in order. There is no room for that kind of play.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Associated Press wrote:No evidence found that Browns intentionally injured McGahee

BEREA, Ohio -- The NFL found no evidence that Cleveland Browns defensive players intentionally gouged the eyes of Baltimore running back Willis McGahee during the Ravens' 28-10 win last Sunday.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh sent tapes to the league's office in New York earlier this week asking for a review of two separate incidents.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said there was no evidence to support the Ravens' claims that the Browns tried to injure McGahee.

Harbaugh declined to name the Cleveland players in question.

"I don't think we should say," he said. "I wouldn't want to comment on it, but you can see it on the tape."

On a 7-yard carry to Cleveland's 1-yard line during the third quarter, McGahee came up bleeding after a tackle by Browns linebacker Andra Davis, who appeared to get his hand caught inside McGahee's visored helmet while being blocked to the ground by Baltimore tackle Jared Gaither.

McGahee got up and immediately headed to the sideline with blood dripping down his face. His right eye is still swollen and he has been limited in practice this week as the Ravens prepare for a Monday night game against Pittsburgh.

"It still looks pretty bad to me," Harbaugh said. "That thing is swollen up badly. As long as he can see, he'll play. But if he can't see, he's not going to be able to play. So, we'll have to try to get that swelling down."

The Browns were caught off-guard by the Ravens' inquiry.

"I have no knowledge of that," coach Romeo Crennel said. "I hadn't heard anything."

Crennel was asked if there are teams who go over the line with dirty play.

"I don't think there are teams, but players that will push the limit," he said. "You try to deal with those guys as best you can, point it out to the officials and talk to your team about keeping its composure."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

good to hear there was no foul play found ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:21 pm

You're telling me that a RB who wears a visor can have a hand reach up under the mask, past his nose, and not just poke him in the eye, but gouge his eye so badly that on Thursday it is still too swollen to know if he'll be able to play on Sunday...and this by accident? Ridiculous. Granted, if there is no 'video evidence' of this, fine. But don't take that to mean it must have been just an accident. Those 'accidents' don't happen to players who DON'T wear visors...much less LT and others that do.

Indirect suggestion: Gouging eyes -> coached by Romeo Crenell -> disciple of......

Yeah...that's all I'm saying. ;-)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Football Talk