Tui out for the season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tui out for the season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tui out for the season

Postby cwebb » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:39 am

Marques Tuiasosopo's turn as Raiders quarterback ended as quickly as it came. The third-year player, who started Sunday at Detroit but tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee, won't play again this season after being placed on injured reserve Wednesday.

Tuiasosopo wasn't available for comment.

``He's down,'' Coach Bill Callahan said. ``He's out for the year, and it's tough to try and get him back.''

And so the daily quarterback drama took a few more spins:

• As expected, Rick Mirer, a 33-year-old former first-round pick, is on tap as the starter Sunday against the New York Jets. Mirer has not started since 1999, when he was with . . . the Jets.

• Rob Johnson, who was cut by Washington on Oct. 22 and signed Tuesday, is trying to learn the offense quickly enough to be the No. 2 quarterback against the Jets.

• Tee Martin, a former University of Tennessee quarterback, was activated from the practice squad.

• Rich Gannon, the usual starter and last season's NFL MVP, remains out because of a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

That's enough quarterback news for a season. The Raiders have had to absorb it in the three days since the Detroit debacle.

Tuiasosopo's move to injured reserve was the worst of it. Had the injury been less severe -- not a ``complete tear'' of the ligament, as Callahan described -- the Raiders might have held out hope of getting him back.

But the prognosis hastened the Raiders' decision to pick up Johnson, a journeyman with starting experience, as a backup to Mirer.

``I've just got to pick up the offense as quickly as I can,'' said Johnson, a former USC star. ``That's how it goes.''

Johnson vowed that he would be ready as the No. 2 quarterback, although Callahan said he hadn't yet decided who would back up Mirer against the Jets.

Mirer has his own concerns. He has appeared in 72 games and made 60 starts in his 11-year career, but he's making a big leap into a starting role after limited practice snaps all season. Now he's on the spot as the Raiders (2-6) try, again, to turn around their dismal season.

``I'm going to try to be me and do it the way I can do it the best,'' Mirer said. ``I'm just going to try to execute the plays. Some are simple, some aren't, but I've got to try to make them all work.''
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Super Freak » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:39 am

unfortunatly i picked him up!!!!! LOL
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:58 pm

I remebered this thread
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=36570
and was wondering if anyone bit on it.
A guy in my league did play pa-tui LOL
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:36 pm

Tui, we hardly knew-ye! One team in my league started him, but just as the Gods protect fools, he won anyway! I wonder if getting Johnson really means that Gannon is hurt worse than they are letting on.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk