Greg Jennings.. A top 5 WR? I think he has a case! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Greg Jennings.. A top 5 WR? I think he has a case!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Greg Jennings.. A top 5 WR? I think he has a case!

Postby funatic » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:50 am

Not top 5. Ten, maybe. If you are getting yards, it doesn't mean that you'll get many close yards looks. Yes, he's got some looks, but 0TDs for 3 games, that's tough.

Marshall
TO
Wayne
Fitz

That's my top 4. Then, maybe AJ, Housh(offense turning the corner against supposedly tough NYG defense).
funatic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:13 am

funatic wrote:Not top 5. Ten, maybe. If you are getting yards, it doesn't mean that you'll get many close yards looks. Yes, he's got some looks, but 0TDs for 3 games, that's tough.

Marshall
TO
Wayne
Fitz

That's my top 4. Then, maybe AJ, Housh(offense turning the corner against supposedly tough NYG defense).

See, I don't get how everybody automatically ranks AJ above Jennings.

1) AJ has never had more than 8 tds in a single season, and is only averaging 5tds/year in his career
2) AJ plays in one of the toughest divisions in football (IND, TEN, and JAX are ranked 1st, 2nd and 10th in points allowed to fantasy WRs)
3) Jennings had 12 tds last year alone
4) Jennings has a much much better QB
5) He has a better WR opposite (to draw coverage)
6) Most importantly, Jennings plays in a much easier division against the pass (DET, CHI, and MIN are ranked 28th, 24th, and 19th vs fantasy WRs)

Dude will probably get 3 tds in his 2 games v the Lions alone.

I can see making arguments for Housh if CIN's offense continues to turn it around, but not AJ.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:27 am

Rodgers game tape is starting to get longer... defenses will start adjusting.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:35 am

Twisted Sister wrote:Rodgers game tape is starting to get longer... defenses will start adjusting.

All of the points I made above are still true. Teams had 17 years of game tape on Favre, and Jennings still tore it up.

After 4 weeks, Jennings has around 120 yards and 0.5 ts/game, he is ranked #3 overall among WRs in my league.
Andre Johnson is averaging 60 yards and 0 tds/game, and is ranked 50th among WRs (although if we assumes his average and give him a 4th game, he would probably move up 10-25 spots to 35th.

AJ definitely has some catching up to do, and I don't think he is going to catch Jennings (I own both BTW).
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 am

If Rodgers is out, I am going to be very nervous starting jennings
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:21 am

Who becomes the new GB starter if Rodgers is out? Brohm or that Flynn dude?

Jennings owners may want to consider selling him

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:22 am

ampant wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:Rodgers game tape is starting to get longer... defenses will start adjusting.

All of the points I made above are still true. Teams had 17 years of game tape on Favre, and Jennings still tore it up.

After 4 weeks, Jennings has around 120 yards and 0.5 ts/game, he is ranked #3 overall among WRs in my league.
Andre Johnson is averaging 60 yards and 0 tds/game, and is ranked 50th among WRs (although if we assumes his average and give him a 4th game, he would probably move up 10-25 spots to 35th.

AJ definitely has some catching up to do, and I don't think he is going to catch Jennings (I own both BTW).

The point being that teams who gain more and more tape on a player will beging identifying tendencies and weaknesses and will adjust to exploit those. It is also up to the QB to find those same tendencies and weaknesses and work them out of his game. Some can and some can't. Take Derek Anderson, tore it up first half of last year and has struggled since about week 9 or 10 of last year. I guess there was a reason the Ravens cut him. Rodgers may or may not work it out. His completion % has gone down each game so far. Keep in mind also that almost everyone has feasted on Dallas and Detroits secondary (who Rodgers had his best games against). He'll get to play Detroit again but he better pull it together here in the next 3 weeks. He's got a stretch of games after the bye that could go badly.

I still think AJ is going to get going. 3 road games against 3 tough teams early. Now he's got 4 home games in a row against teams he should devour. I'd be concerned if he doesn't have some good games here in the next month. Glad to see Schaub played well as well.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Who becomes the new GB starter if Rodgers is out? Brohm or that Flynn dude?

Jennings owners may want to consider selling him

Flynn came in the game. Brohm would give them the best chance passing IMO, but flynn would have less turnovers most likely
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Flynn is the number two.. If Rodgers can't go, he will. :~(
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Yea here it is from ESPN

"He will rehab today and tomorrow, and we'll have a better idea on Wednesday," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said in a Monday news conference. "We will make sure[b] both Matt [Flynn] and Aaron are ready to play. Wednesday's important."[/b]

good luck with Flynn
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk