2008 League Hosting Services Review - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2008 League Hosting Services Review

Moderator: Football Moderators

2008 League Hosting Services Review

Postby WeekSixteen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Owners,

I've only played in leagues run through myfantasyleague.com . I'd like reviews on the different options out there currently from those of you that play through different sites. Why do you prefer one over another? If you were commishing say five leagues next year, what site would you use?

MyFantasyLeague.com
Pros:
In my four years playing in leagues on myfantasyleague.com , I'm not sure if anyone else offers the flexibility in setting up your own rules or the ease of updates and information that can be found there. From what I've heard MFL is the premium service out there; however you do pay for it.
- Very good flexibility and customization for those that want things a certain way or have time to put into it
- Playing experience is fantastic, I've never had a complaint from MFL

Cons:
- A league package typically costs about $60, making this one of the more if not most expensive services there is
- As of this year MFL now advertises on all league pages, there is no option to remove this.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2008 League Hosting Services Review

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:07 pm

"Yahoo Plus" costs over twice as much and is the worst of the bunch.

You can put MFL modules into your own pages or put in your own CSS and it will not have the advertisement. If you get in on a discount, which is super easy to get... you can get it for 45-50 bucks. So even the cons you listed are much better :-D

Like this for 6 of my leagues... I can set all my lineups or watch all my live scoring off of one page because of MFL's modules...:
http://treat24.net/setlineups.htm
http://treat24.net/livescoring.htm

Easily the best pay service out there and it's not even close. If the "ballpark" were in the middle of the USA... All the other sites are floating in an ocean drunk. Needless to say... not even in the ballpark :-b

Free: fleaflicker is the best I've seen...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby dream_017 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:59 pm

I agree with Treat on all accounts. MFL is by far the best paysite available. Fleaflicker is the best free site available. I also have a league each on cbssportsline and fanball. These are not by my choice and I have been trying to get the other owners to change numerous times. We have been on them for 5 and 6 years, so the other owners are resistant to change, plus all of our previous seasons are on there. I will however continue to bring it up every year to change them to MFL ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby WeekSixteen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:24 am

How much better is MFL than Fleaflicker? I'm intrigued by a free service but does it offer much flexibility in setting your own rules?
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby glackk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:44 am

I agree w/ everything about MFL.

I'm not a fan of fleaflicker. The interface is very user-friendly, but the list of players (at least at the beginning of this season) was not complete. When we drafted only the starters were ranked, so if you wanted to draft Brady Quinn (for instance), you'd have to scroll way way down to find him. And the player list page did not include any non-starters. The only way to view them was to manually type in their name in the search box. I think it's better now after a few weeks (seems like a player will show up in the regular list once they score a fantasy point). I'm not sure what type of flexibility you're looking for for league rules, but it has all the normal options.

Personally my pick for free site is yahoo, even if it's a first-come-first-serve free agent system. CBS Sportsline's free service is also pretty good.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk