Poll ended at Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 26

Re: Sell High on Chris Chambers

Postby Azrael » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:07 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:I disagree. I'm very high on the Chargers' offense and Phillip Rivers. LT and Gates will be slowed by nagging injuries all year. I think Chambers is for real.

On the contrary, I suspect that Gates and LT are getting healthier.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:43 am

Hip injuries and turf toes don't go away quickly...they could be playing hurt for an extended period of time.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby pfwygalways » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:34 pm

i see chambers as a small piece of a large successful offense. I have him and am not getting rid or him only because i dont see him getting much value. Hes been consistant with tds, but a let down in catches and yardage. Doesnt hold much value in ppr as he hasnt caught more than 2 passes per game and i dont see him hitting 100+ yards. Its a lucky call which week he'll get a td. I see as a very low WR2 so what would you sell high for?
12 team/6pts TD/1pt 25yds pass/1pt 10yd r/r
08-09 Champ: Defending my title
QB Cutler
WR R. White, Welker, S. Holmes, D. Hester
RB M. Turner, S. Slaton, D. Brown, L Betts, L Maroney
M. Bush
TE Shockey
K Gotskowski
Def: Dal. (platoon likely)
pfwygalways
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:54 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:Hip injuries and turf toes don't go away quickly...they could be playing hurt for an extended period of time.

I don't think LT's toe injury is turf toe. I never heard anyone refer to it as such. I kept hearing it called a "jammed toe". It seems like he is getting better. He averaged 5 ypc yesterday and outran everyone on the way to a 41 yd TD. Also, last week SD was content to give him the ball 27 times even when the game had gotten out of hand down to the final minutes. I think Gates is getting healthier as well because he was upgraded to probable this week. The first time he's been such this year I believe.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby onnestabe » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:28 pm

I think he is a good sell high candidate because he is significantly outperforming his draft position, and he's been around long enough that you can be fairly certain he's not on the verge of a breakout year. That being said, I think he's still going to be a good fantasy WR3 for the rest of the year, so it's not like you're going to regret keeping him if that's the route you decide to go with.

Another aspect to Chambers is that he has some decent matchups during the fantasy playoffs, playing OAK, KC, and TB in weeks 14-16. KC isn't a great matchup, but OAK and TB can be thrown on and once you get into the playoffs, the hottest team usually wins, not necessarily the best.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby WeekSixteen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Week five is in the books and setting aside the injury we had a split jury in the sell high voting. 12 said "yes" Chambers is a good sell high, and 12 said "no" keep him. The results indicate a perfect trading opportunity as the voting indicates a split. If he was a very obvious sell high or buy low guy chances are your league knows it too, because the voting is even this present a perfect chance to trade him for a player who I think will produce.

I'm still not sold on Chambers, he almost had 2 TDs in week 5 but got tackled at the one. The injury of course has deflated his trade value but he simply does not see enough targets or get enough catches to make me comfortable starting him. He has been a good WR3 (acting as a WR2) on my team but I'm seriously thinking of offering him for an also injured Brandon Lloyd, a guy who is the main passing target on a good offense, or a Torry Holt (maybe not this week though). Holt's track record leads me to believe he will turn it around and produce at a decent level. In a PPR league you dont go from all those seasons of consistent numbers to nothing.

IMO Chambers is still a sell high, hopefully his injury isn't serious.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby 2ksports » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm

The yardage is the anomaly here. I can't stress that enough. He is SEVERELY nonperforming his yardage totals. This means that if anything, his value will go up. You're going to see a few 100 yard games before the season is over, and it very well could be coming in weeks 13-15.'

Even if Holt turns it around, he won't be much better than Chambers. It's way too risky to trade for Holt. I'd trade Brandon Lloyd for Holt though as I see Brandon Lloyd as waiver fodder.

Chambers is what I would call a freak athlete with freakishly long arms and freakishly glue-like hands that has now become an equal threat in the redzone as LT and Gates. Due to SD's best offense since Brees, I think that Chambers has a ton of value. Gates is almost guaranteed to be doubled in the red zone, leaving Chambers/VJax in 1v1 situations.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:49 pm

I drafted Chambers on only one league and as an early WR3.

He has performed better than my wildest expectations scoring in almost every game.

The guy is a playmaker and a player. Who cares how many catches and yards he goes for if he consistently delivers the most important play? I agree with the poster who said it is only a matter of time before Chambers starting putting together the 100 yard games. We saw in the playoffs last season, that when Rivers gets in the zone Chambers can become a stud WR. Even with Chambers likely out this week, I am holding and starting this guy every week when he plays.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby u_fig_eater » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:56 pm

Azrael wrote:
u_fig_eater wrote:Hip injuries and turf toes don't go away quickly...they could be playing hurt for an extended period of time.

I don't think LT's toe injury is turf toe. I never heard anyone refer to it as such. I kept hearing it called a "jammed toe". It seems like he is getting better. He averaged 5 ypc yesterday and outran everyone on the way to a 41 yd TD. Also, last week SD was content to give him the ball 27 times even when the game had gotten out of hand down to the final minutes. I think Gates is getting healthier as well because he was upgraded to probable this week. The first time he's been such this year I believe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/ro ... asy,113262
.here's more detail from LaDainian Tomlinson regarding his injured toe, and whether he should take a week off:

"It's not a one-week injury,'' said Tomlinson ... "You can't get it better in one week. There is no such thing; nobody can. If you are injured, you are injured. One week is not going to help. If you take one week off, you might as well take three weeks off.''
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk