Beanie Wells NFL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Beanie Wells NFL

Postby dmacblue » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:18 pm

1) Does he enter NFL 2009 draft?
2) Will he be a top 10 NFL pick next April
3) Will he be a reasonable success in the NFL

:-?

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Re: Beanie Wells NFL

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:29 pm

1. I can not imagine him staying another year, especially after his injury this year. He's been one of the best college backs in the country for a couple years. His only issue might be that next year seems pretty deep, but I don't think that deters him as he is one of the best RBs that would be coming out this year or next (McCoy, etc). That is the only thing that might keep him in, but I highly doubt it. I expect him, spiller, moreno (rSO), crabtree (rSO), ringer etc... all to come out.

2. Him being a top 10 pick completely depends on the teams in that 10 and their needs. I don't see the dolphins, Rams, etc needing him... Also there is a lot of time for other players and combine hype to move into the 10. Only 1 RB has been taken in the top 10 each of the last 2 years and that could easily be moreno next year. So my bet would be no.

3. I think so. I think he will be an ok NFL back and seems like he could carry a load, which isn't even a pro requisite anymore. Tough to tell yet.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby dgan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I think most of us have learned by now that these judgements are essentially wild guesses in most cases when using solely their college career as a reference. Until you see whether they come to the combine overweight, or if they have any off-field issues once the scrutiny of being an NFL prospect starts bringing that stuff out, or if they show improvement this year over last, etc...

At this point, I don't see him as a talent so remarkable that he is destined to have an impact regardless. As much fun as it is to speculate, I see little usefulness in it. The Big Ten season just started today, and a lot can happen over the next couple months.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:49 pm

dgan wrote:I think most of us have learned by now that these judgements are essentially wild guesses in most cases when using solely their college career as a reference. Until you see whether they come to the combine overweight, or if they have any off-field issues once the scrutiny of being an NFL prospect starts bringing that stuff out, or if they show improvement this year over last, etc...

well duh john madden! way to state the obvious! :-b

hehe, kidding around man, we all know that... it's just fun to discuss and take wild guesses and predictions... part of the fun of the forums :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:58 pm

treat24 wrote:
dgan wrote:I think most of us have learned by now that these judgements are essentially wild guesses in most cases when using solely their college career as a reference. Until you see whether they come to the combine overweight, or if they have any off-field issues once the scrutiny of being an NFL prospect starts bringing that stuff out, or if they show improvement this year over last, etc...

hehe, kidding around man, but we all know that... it's just fun to discuss and take wild guesses and predictions... part of the fun of the forums :-)

"One butt equals two feet." :-b

I guess my point was that he doesn't strike me as much of a 'sure thing' as AP or even McFadden right now. Therefore, circumstances will have a lot more impact on the course of his NFL career than they would on someone who is obviously a cut above the rest.

But I'm a bitter Wisconsin fan, so no one should listen to me anyway. !+)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:01 pm

dgan wrote:
treat24 wrote:

hehe, kidding around man, but we all know that... it's just fun to discuss and take wild guesses and predictions... part of the fun of the forums :-)

"One butt equals two feet." :-b

I guess my point was that he doesn't strike me as much of a 'sure thing' as AP or even McFadden right now. Therefore, circumstances will have a lot more impact on the course of his NFL career than they would on someone who is obviously a cut above the rest.

But I'm a bitter Wisconsin fan, so no one should listen to me anyway. !+)

haha! I'm a bitter Gophs fan who watched him run on us all day !+)

100% agree with that statement: "he doesn't strike me as much of a 'sure thing' as AP or even McFadden right now" ... I don't think he's in McFadden's ballpark and DMac was nowhere near AD's ballpark.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:19 pm

I actually like Beanie a lot more than I liked DMac. Beanie has the size, vision, and burst through holes needed to play at the next level.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:25 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I actually like Beanie a lot more than I liked DMac. Beanie has the size, vision, and burst through holes needed to play at the next level.

What he lacks in homerun he makes up in size and toughness that McChickenlegs doesn't have. DMac walked into a good run scheme. Oakland copying Denver. I can't see where Beanie could go next year that he would not only be needed, but do very well. Maybe the Jets or someone could be a nice landing spot. You know I don't like DMac about as much as you don't like him... I guess I just haven't seen enough of beanie performing against better teams. The BigTen is not a good conference and OSU gets destroyed in bowl games :-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:38 pm

treat24 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:I actually like Beanie a lot more than I liked DMac. Beanie has the size, vision, and burst through holes needed to play at the next level.

What he lacks in homerun he makes up in size and toughness that McChickenlegs doesn't have. DMac walked into a good run scheme. Oakland copying Denver. I can't see where Beanie could go next year that he would not only be needed, but do very well. Maybe the Jets or someone could be a nice landing spot. You know I don't like DMac about as much as you don't like him... I guess I just haven't seen enough of beanie performing against better teams. The BigTen is not a good conference and OSU gets destroyed in bowl games :-D

I guess I am looking long term. It is all conjecture frmo here, but next season if he is in a bad system he may not put up great numbers from the start, but will soon enough. Kind of like SJax in STL. He came in with a system that didn't really run, but they tailored it to him after he was there and he looked good. (They suck now, but they will fix it :-b )

My overall point was that Beanie is a better NFL spec IMO than DMac and at the end Beanie should put up better numbers
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:01 pm

I could see Cleveland or Cincy being within reach of Beanie...either could snatch him up. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk