Coach and AP rankings comments - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Coach and AP rankings comments

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Coach and AP rankings comments

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Bear with me, Bagel, as I'm sure I'm starting to boor you. To touch on your last argument, its not that my system is supposed to prove that FLA is not as good as Vanderbilt for example, its supposed to be an indication of who's proven to be the better team so far. What will probably happen is that FLA will end up in the top10 whereas Vandy will be lucky to be ranked at all. But thats prognosticaion, and thats the trap I think most casual and pro rankers alike fall into. I guess I'm just wondering out loud why "we" rank that way. Like I said, I'll still continue to beat my drum, but I think thats the aspect that I keep forgetting about. I agree, that assuming our prognosticating is correct, everyone's rankings will look fairly similar by the end of the season.

I apologize for my over sensitivity with the use of "hypocritcal". It seemed like you thought I was trying to promote a "Do as I say, not as I do." attitude which would be douche baggish. As I explained that wasnt the case. I cant say with 100% certainty that my rankings would be perfectly logical if I spent more time with them, but you're 100% correct that if I were a professional voter, I'd poor over them for hours to make sure that I corrected any potential fallacies in the logic.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Here is something and I have seen it in almsot everyone's rankings that they have sent me as well as the AP and Coaches rankings:

How is UGA below USC? UGA lost to Bama who is now 2 in the country, while USC lost to an unranked team. I understand UGA lost at home, and I am actually higher on Oregon State than most, but I still don't see it.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm a bigger Pac-10 and Oregon State fan than most, so that shouldn't be too surprising coming from me. However, I never was high on Georgia from the beginning, in fact I've never had them ranked higher than #4. I was tempted to drop them after they barely got by a god awful Arizona State team and now I see they weren't even worthy of a top 10 ranking in the first place. Getting shut out in the first half and giving up 31 points in your own stadium with 100,000 fans cheering you on is inexcusable. At least USC was on the road and didn't give up 31 points in the entire game.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Sandrock wrote:I'm a bigger Pac-10 and Oregon State fan than most, so that shouldn't be too surprising coming from me. However, I never was high on Georgia from the beginning, in fact I've never had them ranked higher than #4. I was tempted to drop them after they barely got by a god awful Arizona State team and now I see they weren't even worthy of a top 10 ranking in the first place. Getting shut out in the first half and giving up 31 points in your own stadium with 100,000 fans cheering you on is inexcusable. At least USC was on the road and didn't give up 31 points in the entire game.

You were actually one that I didn't see a problem with where you had them because of where you ranked UGA during the season and what I had heard from you earlier the season. I was thinking more towards some he touted UGA from day 1 as the top team/second team and then put them that far down
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:23 pm

I've always had USC above UGA, though I may have dropped UGA a bit far.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sandrock » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm curious about that myself Dee, but doesn't look like anyone is willing to explain their reasoning right now.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Sandrock wrote:I'm curious about that myself Dee, but doesn't look like anyone is willing to explain their reasoning right now.

I actually went back and I don't think anyone here did that so far :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:15 pm

Mugrila wrote:I've always had USC above UGA, though I may have dropped UGA a bit far.

I'm not sure I buy this justification for putting USC ahead of Georgia. They both lost, but Georgia lost to Alabama (a top 5 team in most people's polls) whereas USC lost to Oregon St. (unranked in most if not all polls). The fact that you thought USC should be ahead of Georgia prior to this week (I thought the same thing) does not mean that them both losing should make USC stay ahead of UGA. The losses are not equivalent.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mugrila » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:02 am

The transitive property doesn't work in CFB right? I hear that all the time, even in here. The OSU team that played USC was not the same one that played Penn State. So how do we know that team wouldn't have done the same to Georgia, or even Bama? Unless you have a specific mathematical formula you use to do your polls it's all opinion. I'm of the opinion they are both one loss teams, and were they to go head to head USC would win.

But I've been thinking. So it's better to get crushed by a team that everyone thinks is better than lose close to a team you should beat? Considering the growing parity in the college football world, I'm not sure. It's just food for thought, but considering the number of upsets this weekend alone, the ball can bounce a certain way on a given Saturday.

Polls are fun and I love to follow them as much as the next guy, but they are kind of silly right? I mean, something can only be as valid as it is reliable, and polls are really pretty unreliable.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:39 am

Mugrila wrote:But I've been thinking. So it's better to get crushed by a team that everyone thinks is better than lose close to a team you should beat? Considering the growing parity in the college football world, I'm not sure. It's just food for thought, but considering the number of upsets this weekend alone, the ball can bounce a certain way on a given Saturday.

Why is there this stigma that the Georgia game was a blowout and the USC game wasn't? Both teams got dominated for a half and came back in the second half, USC just came back faster. Georgia was a missed 2-pt conversion away from having the ball at the end of the game down only one score, and they did that against a Bama team that didn't pack it in nearly as much as Oregon State (who I don't think threw a pass the entire 3rd quarter) did.

I mean, did everyone just forget that USC was down 21-0 at the half? And the only reason it wasn't 50-0 is because OSU was running the clock on their long drives. It wasn't like they just had a couple big plays go their way in the 1st half, they absolutely dominated both sides of the ball.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to College Football