Assist waiver pick-up to replace injured FWP? (WHIR!) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Assist waiver pick-up to replace injured FWP? (WHIR!)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Assist waiver pick-up to replace injured FWP? (WHIR!)

Postby GiantFanatic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Yahoo league, players go to Waivers on Sunday and come out on Tuesday. One of the players in the league set his preliminary line-up Thurs and got hit by a car on Friday night, didn't have a chance to change out FWP (who was ruled out later in the week). He now wants to pick-up Mewelde Moore as a replacement.

Do I facilitate this pick-up/drop?

Pros (Do it)
- Late injury scratch
- Hit by a car, in the hospital
- Bye week eliminates most other opportunities
- Player hasn't played yet (neither of the guys he wants to sub).

Cons (Don't do it)
- Team should be prepared for contingencies
- Should have an iPhone before the season starts to check things from his hospital bed

I'm leaning towards doing it, mostly because of the fact that neither guy has played yet (I don't think players should go to Waivers until their games start). However, Yahoo doesn't do it this way, so I don't want to undermine the way people expect it to work.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
GF
Zod's Fist (12 team, QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, DEF, non-PPR)
QB - Ryan, Foles
RB - ADP, Gore, Lacy, Mcfadden, J. Bell
WR - Wallace, Harvin, S. Johnson, V. Brown, T. Williams
TE - Fauria
K - Crosby
D - Kansas City
GiantFanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Assist waiver pick-up to replace injured FWP? (WHIR!)

Postby bungle613 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:53 pm

I don't have any issues with that. Most leagues allow substitutions up until game time. I can sub Ward for Holmes in I believe all my leagues or Moore for FWP.

BE the good guy and do it and also post on the site that you are soing it and why. I can't imagine anyone having an issue with it.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:02 pm

What kind of league requires people to buy PDA phones :-? :-b

Make the substitution for him, no one should oppose the decision.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantFanatic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Here's an added wrinkle that just came up... would you allow him to replace FWP with "any" player who hasn't played? This would obviously include Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain as options.

My feeling is its basically the same thing, and the fact that someone else owns Rashard (me... being a 2007 FWP owner I knew it was just a matter of time) the aperture should widen a bit.

As for the PDA phone, hey, you have to take your game play seriously! I actually have a special headset and satellite PDA phone to enable high altitude roster changes, but I'm really hard core. :)

-GF
QB - Ryan, Foles
TE - Fauria
K - Crosby
D - Kansas City
GiantFanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert

Postby bungle613 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 pm

It gets a little less black and white when you are talking players who have already played. It simply won't be his decision, he would likely just be taking the highest scoring player.

I would have to look at the guy and judge it, not something I can blankly passed judgement on. It would come down to the integrity of the guy.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantFanatic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm

bungle613 wrote:It gets a little less black and white when you are talking players who have already played. It simply won't be his decision, he would likely just be taking the highest scoring player.

I wouldn't let him swap in any player "after" he's played... basically no one on Baltimore or Pittsburgh has played yet. He wanted to know if he could pick-up any of the back-ups from either team for FWP before the game to sub in for him.

My feeling is that its basically a wash, and that ahead of the game they all look pretty even. Mewelde is behind Rashard, and he could get goal line carries. Le'Ron and Ray are both behind an injured McGahee, who could see a decreased workload because of his eye (and because he sucks nuts).

Basically I "feel" players should only go to waivers and be "locked" (on rosters and on the available player list) once their games start. The fact that these guys are all on waivers already, before the Monday game, is kind of retarded... basically I don't want to penalize people because Yahoo's system is stupid.

-gf
QB - Ryan, Foles
TE - Fauria
K - Crosby
D - Kansas City
GiantFanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert

Postby bungle613 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:40 pm

GiantFanatic wrote:
bungle613 wrote:It gets a little less black and white when you are talking players who have already played. It simply won't be his decision, he would likely just be taking the highest scoring player.

I wouldn't let him swap in any player "after" he's played... basically no one on Baltimore or Pittsburgh has played yet. He wanted to know if he could pick-up any of the back-ups from either team for FWP before the game to sub in for him.

My feeling is that its basically a wash, and that ahead of the game they all look pretty even. Mewelde is behind Rashard, and he could get goal line carries. Le'Ron and Ray are both behind an injured McGahee, who could see a decreased workload because of his eye (and because he sucks nuts).

Basically I "feel" players should only go to waivers and be "locked" (on rosters and on the available player list) once their games start. The fact that these guys are all on waivers already, before the Monday game, is kind of retarded... basically I don't want to penalize people because Yahoo's system is stupid.

-gf

AAHHHH

mis read that. Absolutely, as long as a player has not played, under these circumstances I would let it fly.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby GiantFanatic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback, always nice to get a second non-partisan opinion on these things. :)

Best,
gf
QB - Ryan, Foles
TE - Fauria
K - Crosby
D - Kansas City
GiantFanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert