Jimmy Johnson's take on Lions FO - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Jimmy Johnson's take on Lions FO

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jimmy Johnson's take on Lions FO

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:19 am

On MLive http://blog.mlive.com/twominutedrill/2008/09/nfl_pregame_shows_rip_millen.html Brian VanOchten of the Grand Rapids Press wrote his take on some of the responses heard on the NFL pregame shows Sunday after Christmas.(Millen's firing)
Of note was Old NFL Wiseman Jimmy Johnson's response.

During the 'Fired Up' segment on Fox's NFL pregame show Sunday, analyst Jimmy Johnson offered advice to Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford following Millen's firing:

"Mr. Ford, I realize these are difficult times but football wise, look at it this way: it can't be any worse than it was for the last 7 years. It's easy to pile on Matt Millen, everybody's doing it but he wasn't alone in every decision. He did not negotiate some of those awful contracts. And I know how loyal you are to your employees but there are a bunch of good 'ol boys and 'yes men' drawing paychecks in that front office.

"Now for the solution, you have time to find the best talent evaluator, one that understands how to put together a championship team. Just because someone played or coached, doesn't mean they can evaluate and it doesn't mean they know how to build a team. Just because someone can drive, doesn't mean he can build a truck.

"Start with New England's Scott Pioli. Pay him whatever he wants. He'll pay for his salary with less first-round busts making millions and then let him do the necessary house cleaning. He'll hire the right people to get the job done. If Pioli says no, give me a call. I've got a short list of names.

"And cheer up, you and your fans have brighter days ahead."

The skinny: It's foolish for Ford to wait until the end of the season to conduct a comprehensive review of the front office. He should pick up the phone right now and talk to Johnson and other NFL insiders to begin the process of finding Millen's permanent replacement. The sooner the better, so that the front office can be straightened out BEFORE the scouting and talent evaluation of college prospects shifts into high gear later. The first call should go to former Tennessee Titans general manager and ESPN insider Floyd Reese.

I agree with JJ on this. The whole FO crew should be ousted at the end of the season. In classic Lions fashion I think the old adage that "one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch" applies. Millen had help in creation of the salute to suckage that the Lions have become. Lewand has given out ridiculous contracts to Kalimba Edwards and Corey Reddings, for example, so why should he be retained? Mayhew is a Millen disciple and was unable or unwilling to try and stop Millen from drafting the bums he did. Why does he deserve a chance here? When the apples are spoiled, why keep the maggots? Fire them all at the end of the season, but a search for replacements should start RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions