BS Trades? In retrospect - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

BS Trades? In retrospect

Moderator: Football Moderators

BS Trades? In retrospect

Postby davus » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:49 pm

I have made the following trades this year and now an owner is complaining about it. I'd like your guys opinion on whether this was shrewd managing with good foresight or if I was just screwing people left and right. He even brought up me trading McNabb for Holmes before the beginning of LAST season. In 2001 McNabb scored more points than just about ANYBODY. Holmes had just had a very good year, but after several years of not being on the charts. Fast forward to now it was a great trade...at the time people questioned whether I should give up McNabb.

Anyway, here are some more trades I made this year. Guys I get are on the top...

Week 1 - with the bitching owner
C Garner
>
K Robinson

Week 3 -
Bulger
L. Gordon - still just a backup with Faulk not yet injured - i.e. all but worthless
H. Ward - the main target of the trade
>
M. Hasselbeck
A. Zereoue - still considered the man at this time and playing "ok"
Kevin Johson

Week 8 -
Gannon - injured at this point (maybe for season)
Chad Johnson
Deuce McAllister
>
C. Garner
Trent Green
Marvin Harrison

Week 8 -
Curtis Martin - scored 41 pts at this time in my league
>
Tampa D - scored like 65 pts at this time

So there they are. Am I a serial rapist? :-B
davus

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby awwchrist » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:53 pm

well the last 2 trades are nice..but where exactly is the value with trade 1? I mean..it's not like either Garner or Krob is doing much of anything this season.

The bulger/ward trade is sick. You deserve a medal for that one.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:07 pm

no...I know that trade 1 didn't really do much for me, although I had Priest / Amos as my top backs out of the draft and I had Harrison / K rob + decent backups at WR...the other owner had Edge and Travis Henry as his backs...so we both basically were filling a need.

As of today in my league, however, Garner has 84 pts and K Rob has 53. I made out on the deal and eventually got Deuce out of it.

The point of the question, though, is to discern if there is any validity to the claims of the other owner who is now raising hell and saying that I am screwing everybody in my trades, calling them patsies and saying with the way I deal I could sell ice cubes to an eskimo...saying that I convince people to take nothing for their starters. Is there any merit to this? Am I so selfish that I cannot see that I'm totally raping the other managers? :-o
davus

Postby awwchrist » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:09 pm

screw em. it's jealousy. Someone always gets pissy when one owner clear takes an advantage on a trade. There's nothing you cando about it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phestuss » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:10 pm

Unless you forced this guy to trade with you at gunpoint, he has no grounds for a case against you.

You're fine. wouldn't worry about Diaper Man...
"I like them french-fried potaters. um - hmm"
Phestuss
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Chopper » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:15 pm

I'm pretty sure that the trades in all the leagues that I'm in require TWO owners to agree. Unless you had a gun to someone's head, skroo 'em. I find it hard to believe that the participating owners are wuss enuff to admit they didn't have the cajones to manage their own deals. Sour grapes. Tuff. You done good.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:30 pm

That's kind of how I look at it too. We used Yahoo Plus this year and have the "unbiased third party judge" for all trades. Well all trades went through even they were ALL protested because Yahoo didn't see anything wrong with them.

Now the commish wants to vote next year to re-institute league-wide voting on trades. I know that if this happens most trades will be vetoed because nobody wants to let another team get a good player.

Thanks fellas.
davus

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:33 pm

These trades were pretty even at the time, they are just whining.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:38 pm

I don't think it is your fault that the guys made stupid trades. At that time they were all pretty even, but now you look awesome. You were taking risks and they paid off. He can't acuse you of bad trading tactics, that is part of what makes FF fun, isn't it? I like trying to get a guy to make a dumb trade. I am in a keeper league where only 3+1 rookie are kept and I traded Lelie for a guys first pick next year. I used a lot of ways to look at it and he accepted. There will be guys like Chad Johnson, Holt, Moulds, ect in next year's draft. That was a rip off. I don't think he has anything to base a complaint on, he agreed to the deal.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:08 pm

I never understood this whole thing about a trade having to be fair for it to go through. If collusion is suspected that's a different story. If I'm in a league of friends and I know collusion isn't an issue, any trade I make will be an attempt to give my team the best possible advantage going forward. Fair or not.

"It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money" - W.C. Fields
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk